This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
Hey guys,

I need a vacation. Like a real one. My wife and I haven't really been anywhere since our honeymoon to Pigeon Forge 12 years ago. She's gone with me on business trips but nothing we're we've been able to spend 100% of the time together. I wanted to see if anyone has experience with this and where you would suggest we go or not go. I've always wanted to visit DR but am not opposed to another Caribbean area. I do want all inclusive and white sand/blue water.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamerbob wrote:Hey guys,

I need a vacation. Like a real one. My wife and I haven't really been anywhere since our honeymoon to Pigeon Forge 12 years ago. She's gone with me on business trips but nothing we're we've been able to spend 100% of the time together. I wanted to see if anyone has experience with this and where you would suggest we go or not go. I've always wanted to visit DR but am not opposed to another Caribbean area. I do want all inclusive and white sand/blue water.
Have you thought about a cruise?
Anything in the St's is awesome.
Anything in the Bahama's will be less expensive
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
flamerbob wrote:My wife and I haven't really been anywhere since our honeymoon to Pigeon Forge 12 years ago.
flamerbob wrote:I wanted to see if anyone has experience with this and where you would suggest we go or not go.
I feel for you. Have kids? If so, do you have a network so that you can leave them for the week? Getting away together is very important. My wife and I have had small, overnight trips, but getting away longer can be a challenge when you have three kids. lol
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
flamerbob wrote:Hey guys,

Have you thought about a cruise?
Anything in the St's is awesome.
Anything in the Bahama's will be less expensive
Wife doesn't like boats but loves to swim. I am not opposed to the Bahamas.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
flamerbob wrote:My wife and I haven't really been anywhere since our honeymoon to Pigeon Forge 12 years ago.
flamerbob wrote:I wanted to see if anyone has experience with this and where you would suggest we go or not go.
I feel for you. Have kids? If so, do you have a network so that you can leave them for the week? Getting away together is very important. My wife and I have had small, overnight trips, but getting away longer can be a challenge when you have three kids. I chortle audibly.
Bama,we do have kids. Two boys (5 and 1). My parents are in the middle of moving to Lynchburg from Maryland so the cost of my mother living with us since August is going to be a week of childcare. :P My wife have gone with me on short stints but if we travel to overnight, it's usually with the kids/family.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
This would be different but check out Savannah, GA or Charleston, SC. No, it's not the Caribbean but if you enjoy B&B's, Savannah and Charleston is great. A lot of history, good restaurants...etc.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I love Hawaii...but it's expensive to get to from the East Coast. We're going next year for 12 days.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Doesn't oldflame live in the DR? Might try to DM him.
Cruises are okay, but I'd definitely prefer a resort to a cruise. Look into Belize as well. It's getting more & more popular, but you can find some pretty good prices there.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:Doesn't oldflame live in the DR? Might try to DM him.
Cruises are okay, but I'd definitely prefer a resort to a cruise. Look into Belize as well. It's getting more & more popular, but you can find some pretty good prices there.
Yes, Southwest Airlines now flies to Belize City from Houston.

If you're willing to consider Central America, Costa Rica is another option.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
I've got lots of experience with Cancun, Mexico and Costa Rica. It depends on what you want. We have taken our family with seven children and have not experienced any negative safety issues.

Cancun - It's a developed resort area that has dozens of resorts right on the beach, crystal clear water, lots of restaurants and great weather. I always enjoyed just relaxing at the resort, but we would take the family on some of the different fishing, snorkeling and dolphin excursions. Check the reviews on the specific resorts. Some are geared toward the round the clock party-ers and others are geared toward families and/or couples. Avoid the summer months, it's HOT!!!

Costa Rica - I hope this will someday be my future home. It's a great country, but not developed like some other places. While not necessary, we found that it is extremely beneficial if you can speak a little Spanish. There are definitely high end resorts, but they tend to be stand alone. There are 6 different climate zones in a country the size of West Virginia. The Caribbean coast varies dramatically from the Pacific side in both beaches and culture. There are mountains with volcanoes and adventure opportunities like rafting, jungle zip lines and canyoning (waterfall rappelling).

No matter where you decide, it's a great thing that you are considering it. I'm always reminded when I leave the rat race for a trip how much I enjoy being with my wife. Once you do it, you'll start planning another trip. Send me a PM if I can help you with any Costa Rica info. You can find plenty of info about Cancun online.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Puerto Rico was nice for the shortish business trip I made down there. Stayed in the developed and commercialized San Juan, and it's just a hop, skip, and a jump from the really neat Old San Juan
By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
I've heard great things about Sandals resorts, but they always seem to be so dag gum expensive.

I too recommend a cruise if you want to see the Caribbean. If you are still around the Lynchburg area, they have several cruise ships that leave from nearby to all over the Caribbean. Many of the cruises going out of Baltimore, MD and Charleston, SC are less than $100 a night per person. So basically you get all your food, entertainment, lodging, plus travel to several different islands for around $100 a person per night. That would be my recommendation, as I've gone on a few and LOVED them.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
belcherboy wrote:I've heard great things about Sandals resorts,
THIS. I took my honey moon a year and a half ago in St. Lucia. the sandals resort was incredible.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
Belize. you might not want to come back.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
jack_sparrow81 wrote:Sum It Up, have you been to the Arenal Volcano in Costa Rica?
Yes, it's a nice area that used to draw a lot of tourists when the lava flowed freely. Arenal looks the way I always thought a volcano would appear. There are some nice hot springs resort in that area.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Try Cabo, great beaches, scenery, food. It is not too far from LA either. You could spend a couple of days there. If you need a tour guide, let me know.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Belize can be hit or miss depending on the resort more than most Caribbean areas. Make sure you do your research. Down here in Houston where we have access to nearly all Caribbean/Central American destinations on the cheap through United & Southwest, Costa Rica & eve Honduras have become the hot destinations. SumItUp is being modest when he says he is familiar with these areas. Tap into his expertise, flamerbob.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Try Cabo, great beaches, scenery, food. It is not too far from LA either. You could spend a couple of days there. If you need a tour guide, let me know.
Forgot all about Cabo. I researched it like crazy back when I was planning my honeymoon. Still want to go there.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Honduras is a hidden gem
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:
RubberMallet wrote:Belize. you might not want to come back.

Or you might just not make it back :I chortle audibly.:
uh...belize is much safer than cancun/peurto vallarta/jamaica/dominican around vacation spots.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:
RubberMallet wrote:Belize. you might not want to come back.

Or you might just not make it back :I chortle audibly.:
uh...belize is much safer than cancun/peurto vallarta/jamaica/dominican around vacation spots.
Also much safer than Honduras. You could also consider the British Virgin Islands. One other thing: if you don't have a passport, you'll need the book if you fly but can land and sea crossings only require a passport card.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
you best bet for saftey is typically like the bahamas.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Grenada was considered among the most safe islands in the caribbean until this past weekend. Most crimes are simply actos of opportunity. Be samrt and you will be fine most of the places we have listed.
By bballfan84
Registration Days Posts
Barcelo Los Cabos All Inclusive- Outside of cabo..Amazing place

Excellence Playa Mujeres All inclusive...outside of cancun about 25 minute drive

Me and wife typically do the resort all inclusive thing and then she convinced me to do a cruise (without kids). We eneded up going on Royal Carribean flew out to San Juan and left on the boat from there. We hit St Croix, St MArtin, Antigua, St Lucia, and Barbados with one day at sea on the back end..literally had the time of my life and I was very anti cruise.

you cant go wrong with either that i pointed out
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]