This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:I actually want a Ruger LCR, but speedloader/magloader, same difference. I'm not completely satisfied with how well it works, but it'll save my fingertips some soreness.
So you don't mind a gun that bucks like a bronco but are worried about fingertip soreness? I will say Speed Loaders are pretty cool though. I'm just giving you grief.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:VAgolf must be under 18 years old.

Lebron is the most athletic and physical freak of a specimen in the NBA, but he is not even the best player right now. I have a feeling he wasn't being serious about his statement, but there are kids growing up who only know Jordan as some guy on their dad's shoes.
I thought the same thing. I understand it's sort of a generational thing, which is why some of the elders here are throwing Russell up above Jordan. I just think it's very difficult to make the case for anyone other than Jordan. He was straight up an ice cold killer on the court. When it was Jordan time, everyone knew it, and no one could stop it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:

Lebron is the most athletic and physical freak of a specimen in the NBA, but he is not even the best player right now. I have a feeling he wasn't being serious about his statement, but there are kids growing up who only know Jordan as some guy on their dad's shoes.
I thought the same thing. I understand it's sort of a generational thing, which is why some of the elders here are throwing Russell up above Jordan. I just think it's very difficult to make the case for anyone other than Jordan. He was straight up an ice cold killer on the court. When it was Jordan time, everyone knew it, and no one could stop it.
......because the League wouldnt let them!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:C'mon now PH - you don't actually believe the hogwash coming out through your fingers right now do you??
Jordan was a protected class. Byron Russell would agree
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Humble_Opinion wrote:C'mon now PH - you don't actually believe the hogwash coming out through your fingers right now do you??
Yeah that's ridiculous. Especially, when you go back and watch the highlights of his meetings against the Pistons in 1987-1990. They double/triple teamed him on a regular basis. In many instances, guarding became more like mugging.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Yeah that's ridiculous. Especially, when you go back and watch the highlights of his meetings against the Pistons in 1987-1990. They double/triple teamed him on a regular basis. In many instances, guarding became more like mugging.
I was alive and lived in Chicago during his day. Even the sports writers up their believed in 'The Jordan Rules'. The Pistons just subscribed to the theory 'you can't call em all'.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I was alive and lived in Chicago during his day. Even the sports writers up their believed in 'The Jordan Rules'. The Pistons just subscribed to the theory 'you can't call em all'.
I'm confused... you do realize that 'The Jordan Rules' was the name assigned to the rough manner in which the Pistons played MJ in the playoffs right? It's not a named assigned to some notion of preferential treatment by the league...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I was alive and lived in Chicago during his day. Even the sports writers up their believed in 'The Jordan Rules'. The Pistons just subscribed to the theory 'you can't call em all'.
I'm confused... you do realize that 'The Jordan Rules' was the name assigned to the rough manner in which the Pistons played MJ in the playoffs right? It's not a named assigned to some notion of preferential treatment by the league...
This
JK37 wrote:There were two types of Jordan Rules. Everyone knew it.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Agreed. The fact of the matter is the league did actually change the rules to get hands off of Jordan so he ciuld be more explosive offensively. Handchecking all but died during that portion fo the Stern era in order to allow the league superstars to build the NBA brand at a time when it was a distant third behind MLB & the NFL.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Agreed. The fact of the matter is the league did actually change the rules to get hands off of Jordan so he ciuld be more explosive offensively. Handchecking all but died during that portion fo the Stern era in order to allow the league superstars to build the NBA brand at a time when it was a distant third behind MLB & the NFL.
That's ridiculous. Yes, the league on multiple occasions, published rules changes to change the legality of "hand-checking". It started in 1979-80, years before MJ's first game in the league. The fact is, he played his first 9 years in the NBA when hand-checking was legal, as long as it didn't impede the player from going to the basket. You can look at plenty of videos on YouTube of Jordan being hand-checked without a foul being called.

There are rule changes that have been developed over the years as a result of dominance of certain players. Like the fact that zone defense was essentially banned from 1946 - 1980.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I love how a thread on christmas gifts became a discussion about basketball. lol

Can someone PLEASE bring back the Sonics! Tickets for opening night are all I want for Christmas 2016.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:

its generational but its also a legitimate discussion. comparing between eras is hard because wilt/russell/oscar played the majority of their ball against a bunch of relative nobodies who drove forklifts in the off season. jordan dominated in the nba heyday of the 80's and 90's and still dominated when it seemed every team had at least a few superstars. lebron has played all his ball in a pretty weak east almost his entire career. they are clearly #1 and 2 in my mind.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]