This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

What did you think of Episode 7?

The force was strong with this one (It was the best film of the series.)
19%
This will begin to make things right (JJ Abrams has things headed in the right direction)
75%
Laugh it up Furball (Too much humor)
No votes
0%
These aren't the droids you're looking for (Overall Disappointed)
6%
Bring your thoughts, reactions, etc. here. This is a "don't-give-spoilers-free-zone." Spoil away. Hopefully you watched the film first, however.

Don't want to read that Han Solo's son, Kylo Ren, kills him with a lightsaber through the heart? Too bad, you shouldn't have clicked on a thread entitled (DON'T CLICK - SPOILERS) Star Wars Episode 7 (SPOILERS).

I posted a non-spoiler (imo) comment on FB and got my head torn off. lol

One of the most talked about "mysteries" beforehand was "where's luke"? Theories about him turning to the dark side, not being able to control his powers, being a force ghost etc. were everywhere. Nowhere did I read: "Luke isn't in the previews or posters because he isn't (really) in the movie."

I loved the "tongue in cheek" with the opening line.

What did you think?
I give it a C+

Nostalgia! Get your Nostalgia, here!

Otherwise the movie:
-Why not start on a desert planet with lost droids with important information?
-Plot was a mash up of episodes IV-VI (Mainly, a new hope).
-But THIS death star is BIGGER!
- Explosions!!
-Do you mean we left a major vulnerability in the death star right on the surface? Again?
-Shows that characters have a pretty short memory about how the Jedi apprenticeship program has inherent flaws when it comes to the dark side.
-Kylo Ren is really too whiny and emotional to be a Vader type villian. (Also, remove helmet = hair. everywhere.)
-It makes no sense that the First Order exists as the empire in everything but name. It's just the empire with a different leader. As happens to empires.

-The things the movie did do well was: Daisy Ridley and the humor.

Daisy Ridley ....drool
I thought it was great. I like that they went back to the old style of filming to make this film. I think this was probably the best of the series. Why? Because sets were remarkable and the touches of CGI made it more realistic than the first series. I also thought the story line was good. If you looking for something different, as far as story line - your not going to get that in Star Wars - stick to what works...

I didn't mind the hair on Ren - you can tell he is going to battle against the light and the dark and makes him more believable and gives more hope that he is a real person underneath that could turn.

I don't like the love triangle potential they are setting up though... Hope they don't go down the road. Just doesn't need it.

This movie will shatter every record out there. It's better than expected and people will continue to flock to see it and the theaters will continue to put it in 8 theaters if they are selling tickets.
prototype wrote:I thought it was great. I like that they went back to the old style of filming to make this film. I think this was probably the best of the series. Why? Because sets were remarkable and the touches of CGI made it more realistic than the first series. I also thought the story line was good. If you looking for something different, as far as story line - your not going to get that in Star Wars - stick to what works...

I didn't mind the hair on Ren - you can tell he is going to battle against the light and the dark and makes him more believable and gives more hope that he is a real person underneath that could turn.

I don't like the love triangle potential they are setting up though... Hope they don't go down the road. Just doesn't need it.

This movie will shatter every record out there. It's better than expected and people will continue to flock to see it and the theaters will continue to put it in 8 theaters if they are selling tickets.
I got on here to write almost exactly what you just said. This is so much better an 1, 2 or 3...it finally feels like the series is back. The sets were incredible, dialogue was perfect, story line was simplistic and I really liked the character development of Rey.

I typically do not care for sci-fi movies but this was incredible. Stoked for VIII
alabama24 wrote:Bring your thoughts, reactions, etc. here. This is a "don't-give-spoilers-free-zone." Spoil away. Hopefully you watched the film first, however.

Don't want to read that Han Solo's son, Kylo Ren, kills him with a lightsaber through the heart?
I don't believe that Kylo Ren killed Han. I believe that Han killed Han.
Random, but pretty cool, Daniel Craig was the storm trooper that let Rey out of the chair and dropped the blaster for her.
I was so excited about being able to join this club!,
The ONLY two let downs were Kylo speaking with the mask on. I mean I get it but it didn't work for me. I thought he was more sinister without it. Secondly, ANOTHER Death Star? The bad guys really need to be creative!
As for the rest it was great. It had the size scale and scope of the Originals that the Prequels didn't have. It also didn't get bound up in CGI like the Prequels did which made it more 'human'.
The acting was much better than in the prequels and Daisy Ridley is NOT unattractive!!
Coolest scene was the X Wings coming to save the day over the water. Loved it.
It was easy to predict Han dying since Ford only agreed to be in it after they backed up a dump truck of cash to his house! I was worried that Carrie Fishers dentures were going to fly out though
I hope Mark Hamill didn't get paid per word
Enjoyed the Max Von Sydo appearance
Loved all the other evil characters. I hope Pantasm or whatever her name is gets more time

I predict Rey and Kylo are siblings
Snoke actually got lost on his way to the set of the new Hobbitt movie and decided to stay
alabama24 wrote:Rey and Kylo siblings? Not likely. That would mean that Neither Han NOR Leah knew or recognized their own daughter? More likely Luke's daughter... Don't know.
Jedi mind tricks to make them forget. Duh.
Also, Rey is REALLY short. Just like Carrie Fisher!
Another possibility is that they know they have another child but think she was killed with the other Jedi in training. To protect her, Luke hid her from her own parents because he knew Kylo could use the dark side to interrogate them and find her.

At this point, could go a million different directions. Looking forward to the next installment!
Yacht Rock wrote:Another possibility is that they know they have another child but think she was killed with the other Jedi in training. To protect her, Luke hid her from her own parents because he knew Kylo could use the dark side to interrogate them and find her.

At this point, could go a million different directions. Looking forward to the next installment!
I like where your head is at but wouldn't Kylo have recognized her when they fought in the woods?
Even the next day I am impressed with the improvement in the acting. The Prequels were just so wooden and robotic. This had some cheese to it sure but so did the original
Another voice nugget was using the same background 'We think they may be splitting up, they may be on levels 5 and 6 now' was in the Original when Obi Wan was traipsing through the Death Star and in this one

Also still good to see Max a on Sydow is still alive. But we all know in the next one he comes back as Ming the Merciless
Purple Haize wrote:
alabama24 wrote:Rey and Kylo siblings? Not likely. That would mean that Neither Han NOR Leah knew or recognized their own daughter? More likely Luke's daughter... Don't know.
Jedi mind tricks to make them forget. Duh.
Also, Rey is REALLY short. Just like Carrie Fisher!

What if Rey is Luke's daughter AND Princess Leia's daughter? :twisted: :pbjtime
flamehunter wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:If Rey was my sister I would be more than happy to play the 'I'm Adopted' card!
That's kinda weird. :shock:
M
Well I AM adopted..........
It was campy fun to have all of the old actors and obvious references to the original trilogy.

Luke's situation remains as unclear now as before the film began.

It seemed like every character was the offspring of someone significant. So it sure seemed like they did everything they could to make room for Fin to be Lando's boy.

The only question i had walking out was determining who Rey's mom could be.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]