This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
This deserves its own thread. Maybe because I am about the same age this hits me with a cold shot of water. Maybe it's because his music brings up memories of just finishing college and a lot of crazy things I did back then. Maybe it's because someone looks like they lost their fight with demons. Whatever the reason RIP Scott Weiland
[youtube]
[/youtube]
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Ditto. One of my favorite bands to listen to. His singing style got pretty awful after the first few albums (for my taste), but those first few were great.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Rest in peace. The guy just couldn't overcome his addictions.

[youtube]
[/youtube]
By HenryGale
Registration Days Posts
Been listening to them all day...
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
absolutely a shame

another one gone way too young
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
i thought he had died ages ago.
By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
I LOVED STP when I was in high school and college, and really liked it when he was in Velvet Revolver (the Fall to Pieces video seems a little too accurate now). Scott Weiland's voice has been one of my favorites of anyone I've ever heard. He will be missed! I thought this open letter from his ex-wife was an interesting take on what his addictions have done to him and his family. I think I may read her biography now.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... y-20151207
December 3rd, 2015 is not the day Scott Weiland died. It is the official day the public will use to mourn him, and it was the last day he could be propped up in front of a microphone for the financial benefit or enjoyment of others. The outpouring of condolences and prayers offered to our children, Noah and Lucy, has been overwhelming, appreciated and even comforting. But the truth is, like so many other kids, they lost their father years ago. What they truly lost on December 3rd was hope.

We don't want to downplay Scott's amazing talent, presence or his ability to light up any stage with brilliant electricity. So many people have been gracious enough to praise his gift. The music is here to stay. But at some point, someone needs to step up and point out that yes, this will happen again – because as a society we almost encourage it. We read awful show reviews, watch videos of artists falling down, unable to recall their lyrics streaming on a teleprompter just a few feet away. And then we click "add to cart" because what actually belongs in a hospital is now considered art.

Many of these artists have children. Children with tears in their eyes, experiencing panic because their cries go unheard. You might ask, "How were we to know? We read that he loved spending time with his children and that he'd been drug-free for years!" In reality, what you didn't want to acknowledge was a paranoid man who couldn't remember his own lyrics and who was only photographed with his children a handful of times in 15 years of fatherhood. I've always wanted to share more than anyone was comfortable with. When writing a book years ago, it pained me to sometimes gloss over so much grief and struggle, but I did what I thought was best for Noah and Lucy. I knew they would one day see and feel everything that I'd been trying to shield them from, and that they'd eventually be brave enough to say, "That mess was our father. We loved him, but a deep-rooted mix of love and disappointment made up the majority of our relationship with him."

Even after Scott and I split up, I spent countless hours trying to calm his paranoid fits, pushing him into the shower and filling him with coffee, just so that I could drop him into the audience at Noah's talent show, or Lucy's musical. Those short encounters were my attempts at giving the kids a feeling of normalcy with their dad. But anything longer would often turn into something scary and uncomfortable for them. Spending so many years immersed in Scott's multiple illnesses led to my own depression; at one point, I was misdiagnosed as bipolar. I feared the same would happen to the children. There were times that Child Protective Services did not allow him to to be alone with them.

When Scott did move on to another relationship, I hoped it would inspire him to grow. I had often encouraged him to date a "normal" girl, a woman who was also a mother, someone who had the energy that I no longer had to love him. Instead, when he remarried, the children were replaced. They were not invited to his wedding; child support checks often never arrived. Our once sweet Catholic boy refused to watch the kids participate in Christmas Eve plays because he was now an atheist. They have never set foot into his house, and they can't remember the last time they saw him on a Father's Day. I don't share this with you to cast judgment, I do so because you most likely know at least one child in the same shoes. If you do, please acknowledge them and their experience. Offer to accompany them to the father-daughter dance, or teach them to throw a football. Even the bravest girl or boy will refrain from asking for something like that; they may be ashamed, or not want to inconvenience you. Just offer – or even insist if you have to.

This is the final step in our long goodbye to Scott. Even though I felt we had no other choice, maybe we never should have let him go. Or maybe these last few years of separation were his parting gift to us – the only way he could think to soften what he knew would one day crush us deep into our souls. Over the last few years, I could hear his sadness and confusion when he'd call me late into the night, often crying about his inability to separate himself from negative people and bad choices. I won't say he can rest now, or that he's in a better place. He belongs with his children barbecuing in the backyard and waiting for a Notre Dame game to come on. We are angry and sad about this loss, but we are most devastated that he chose to give up.

Noah and Lucy never sought perfection from their dad. They just kept hoping for a little effort. If you're a parent not giving your best effort, all anyone asks is that you try just a little harder and don't give up. Progress, not perfection, is what your children are praying for. Our hope for Scott has died, but there is still hope for others. Let's choose to make this the first time we don't glorify this tragedy with talk of rock and roll and the demons that, by the way, don't have to come with it. Skip the depressing T-shirt with 1967-2015 on it – use the money to take a kid to a ballgame or out for ice cream.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
belcherboy wrote:I LOVED STP when I was in high school and college, and really liked it when he was in Velvet Revolver (the Fall to Pieces video seems a little too accurate now). Scott Weiland's voice has been one of my favorites of anyone I've ever heard. He will be missed! I thought this open letter from his ex-wife was an interesting take on what his addictions have done to him and his family. I think I may read her biography now.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... y-20151207
December 3rd, 2015 is not the day Scott Weiland died. It is the official day the public will use to mourn him, and it was the last day he could be propped up in front of a microphone for the financial benefit or enjoyment of others. The outpouring of condolences and prayers offered to our children, Noah and Lucy, has been overwhelming, appreciated and even comforting. But the truth is, like so many other kids, they lost their father years ago. What they truly lost on December 3rd was hope.

We don't want to downplay Scott's amazing talent, presence or his ability to light up any stage with brilliant electricity. So many people have been gracious enough to praise his gift. The music is here to stay. But at some point, someone needs to step up and point out that yes, this will happen again – because as a society we almost encourage it. We read awful show reviews, watch videos of artists falling down, unable to recall their lyrics streaming on a teleprompter just a few feet away. And then we click "add to cart" because what actually belongs in a hospital is now considered art.

Many of these artists have children. Children with tears in their eyes, experiencing panic because their cries go unheard. You might ask, "How were we to know? We read that he loved spending time with his children and that he'd been drug-free for years!" In reality, what you didn't want to acknowledge was a paranoid man who couldn't remember his own lyrics and who was only photographed with his children a handful of times in 15 years of fatherhood. I've always wanted to share more than anyone was comfortable with. When writing a book years ago, it pained me to sometimes gloss over so much grief and struggle, but I did what I thought was best for Noah and Lucy. I knew they would one day see and feel everything that I'd been trying to shield them from, and that they'd eventually be brave enough to say, "That mess was our father. We loved him, but a deep-rooted mix of love and disappointment made up the majority of our relationship with him."

Even after Scott and I split up, I spent countless hours trying to calm his paranoid fits, pushing him into the shower and filling him with coffee, just so that I could drop him into the audience at Noah's talent show, or Lucy's musical. Those short encounters were my attempts at giving the kids a feeling of normalcy with their dad. But anything longer would often turn into something scary and uncomfortable for them. Spending so many years immersed in Scott's multiple illnesses led to my own depression; at one point, I was misdiagnosed as bipolar. I feared the same would happen to the children. There were times that Child Protective Services did not allow him to to be alone with them.

When Scott did move on to another relationship, I hoped it would inspire him to grow. I had often encouraged him to date a "normal" girl, a woman who was also a mother, someone who had the energy that I no longer had to love him. Instead, when he remarried, the children were replaced. They were not invited to his wedding; child support checks often never arrived. Our once sweet Catholic boy refused to watch the kids participate in Christmas Eve plays because he was now an atheist. They have never set foot into his house, and they can't remember the last time they saw him on a Father's Day. I don't share this with you to cast judgment, I do so because you most likely know at least one child in the same shoes. If you do, please acknowledge them and their experience. Offer to accompany them to the father-daughter dance, or teach them to throw a football. Even the bravest girl or boy will refrain from asking for something like that; they may be ashamed, or not want to inconvenience you. Just offer – or even insist if you have to.

This is the final step in our long goodbye to Scott. Even though I felt we had no other choice, maybe we never should have let him go. Or maybe these last few years of separation were his parting gift to us – the only way he could think to soften what he knew would one day crush us deep into our souls. Over the last few years, I could hear his sadness and confusion when he'd call me late into the night, often crying about his inability to separate himself from negative people and bad choices. I won't say he can rest now, or that he's in a better place. He belongs with his children barbecuing in the backyard and waiting for a Notre Dame game to come on. We are angry and sad about this loss, but we are most devastated that he chose to give up.

Noah and Lucy never sought perfection from their dad. They just kept hoping for a little effort. If you're a parent not giving your best effort, all anyone asks is that you try just a little harder and don't give up. Progress, not perfection, is what your children are praying for. Our hope for Scott has died, but there is still hope for others. Let's choose to make this the first time we don't glorify this tragedy with talk of rock and roll and the demons that, by the way, don't have to come with it. Skip the depressing T-shirt with 1967-2015 on it – use the money to take a kid to a ballgame or out for ice cream.
Powerful stuff
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
I read that this morning. Very good prespective from another side of addiction that we don't like to think about.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
i'm as big of a grunge/90's modern rock fan as there is on the planet. but core, purple, and some of tiny music is about the only listenable thing scott created. everything afterwards was so blah. there are even songs on those 3 albums that are so mundane and boring. I usually keep it to myself due to getting everyone in a tizzy but yeah. i said it. No. 4 is one of my least favorite albums i ever purchased.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:i'm as big of a grunge/90's modern rock fan as there is on the planet. but core, purple, and some of tiny music is about the only listenable thing scott created. everything afterwards was so blah. there are even songs on those 3 albums that are so mundane and boring. I usually keep it to myself due to getting everyone in a tizzy but yeah. i said it. No. 4 is one of my least favorite albums i ever purchased.
Said the same thing above. You are not alone.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
I agree for the most part. Core and Purple were great albums. Tiny Music was very good and has perhaps their most underrated song, Lady Picture Show. I actually liked a few songs off No. 4, but overall it was a forgettable album. Shangri-La Dee Da was utter garbage. I never listened to Self-Titled. There were a couple decent songs from Velvet Revolver, but nothing memorable.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I liked the Thank You compilation
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I liked the Thank You compilation
That was well done, but it needed Dead & Bloated and Unglued.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I liked the Thank You compilation
That was well done, but it needed Dead & Bloated and Unglued.
Yeah Dead and Bloated was a big miss
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
on of my favorite songs growing up was kitchenware and candybars until i found out it was about he and someone struggling going through an abortion. Its amazingly written but the content now saddens me and I don't really listen to it anymore.

i was more alice in chains grunge than i was stp grunge, but i listened to it all. man music was so good back then.

if anyone is on spotify, here is a link to my work in progress 90's rock playlist. 500 songs.

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:on of my favorite songs growing up was kitchenware and candybars until i found out it was about he and someone struggling going through an abortion. Its amazingly written but the content now saddens me and I don't really listen to it anymore.

i was more alice in chains grunge than i was stp grunge, but i listened to it all. man music was so good back then.

if anyone is on spotify, here is a link to my work in progress 90's rock playlist. 500 songs.

I was jamming to this earlier in the road

[youtube]
[/youtube]
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:on of my favorite songs growing up was kitchenware and candybars until i found out it was about he and someone struggling going through an abortion. Its amazingly written but the content now saddens me and I don't really listen to it anymore.

Nice list you've got going there. I'd throw in some Temple of the Dog and Mad Season while you're at it. Maybe a little 7 Mary 3 and The Nixons. Man, I miss the music from the 90's.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
i think there is some temple of the dog in there. but added some 7mary3 and some mad season. i swear river of deceit was in there but i was wrong.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:

Nice list you've got going there. I'd throw in some Temple of the Dog and Mad Season while you're at it. Maybe a little 7 Mary 3 and The Nixons. Man, I miss the music from the EARLY 90's.

FIFY
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]