This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
This story is still unfolding, but so far:
At least 60 dead
100-200 taken hostage
Terrorists yelling "Allahu Akbar" and "This is for Syria"
French borders closed
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:This story is still unfolding, but so far:
At least 60 dead
100-200 taken hostage
Terrorists yelling "Allahu Akbar" and "This is for Syria"
French borders closed
And our President says it's still too early to tell who is behind this attack.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It hasn't been confirmed that ISIS is behind the attacks but it's hard to think otherwise. Our president also claimed earlier today that ISIS has been contained. If ISIS was behind these attacks those words by the president will look awfully silly.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:It hasn't been confirmed that ISIS is behind the attacks but it's hard to think otherwise. Our president also claimed earlier today that ISIS has been contained. If ISIS was behind these attacks those words by the president will look awfully silly.
The man has no shame. He also said Global Warming was a bigger threat than ISIS, so.....

This will certainly help Trump. Contrast the Presidents response of ISIS being contained to Trumps "I'd bomb the crap out of them'
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Can we not make this political while they're still scraping bodies up?
What's political? These are responses from 2 prominent Americans. One is the President. One wants to be the President. They are 2 contrasting views. Making it politically would be blaming this on the President, which I don't think is fair or accurate.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Can we not make this political while they're still scraping bodies up?
I wasn't trying to make it political. Sorry if it came off that way.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
I wasn't trying to make it political. Sorry if it came off that way.
It makes me sad for those peoples family. There are some pretty graphic pics on the Internet. So eerie. One moment you are having a bottle of wine with friends at the end of the week, then next........
I'm glad I may or may not have a CCWP.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
I have been to Paris twice in the past 10 months. The second time was on a in July with 10 of my former students on an educational tour.
On a Friday evening, we walked within a few blocks of the concert hall that was the scene of the worst of the violence. I can't shake the image of all of the care-free people that were enjoying dinner outside of the many cafes in that part of the city. I also can't imagine what I would have done had this Friday evening had been swapped with that one.

It is easy to throw around the phrase, "I'm praying for you" but this is a time where prayer is truly needed.
By bluejacket
Regardless of who committed these acts, terrorism is by its nature a political action with political responses.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I get that. And there's a time for that response but it's not while they're still sorting through the bodies. The political response starts today and moves forward. All I'm wanting is some human decency before we start arguing about who is more right than the other person.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:I get that. And there's a time for that response but it's not while they're still sorting through the bodies. The political response starts today and moves forward. All I'm wanting is some human decency before we start arguing about who is more right than the other person.
I agree completely. I certainly wasn't trying to take sides but it's quite clear ISIS has not been contained. It makes me sick to my stomach. It could easily happen here and people have no clue.

I feel for the families involved. Such a sad day.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I took sides. I'm anti ISIS. Sorry if that's being political
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
SuperJon wrote:I get that. And there's a time for that response but it's not while they're still sorting through the bodies. The political response starts today and moves forward. All I'm wanting is some human decency before we start arguing about who is more right than the other person.
I agree completely. I certainly wasn't trying to take sides but it's quite clear ISIS has not been contained. It makes me sick to my stomach. It could easily happen here and people have no clue.

I feel for the families involved. Such a sad day.
It WILL happen here. How ready we are for it will determine how effective the attack is.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I took sides. I'm anti ISIS. Sorry if that's being political
So jon isn't anti ISIS? You're slipping in your trolling game.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
This has been a gradual occurrence over the past couple months. The dark side is weakening.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
To be fair, Haize also has a wife who's not able to work right now, in constant pain and just recently underwent surgery while uncertainty or certainty of unpleasant change (sorry Purple, I can't keep up sometimes) is wracking nerves at his job. Cut him some slack.

Now, if we can stop the arguing about if a post is or isn't political, who is or isn't trolling, as well as jumping to conclusions and putting words in people's mouths, the death toll is now over 100 and their are Americans among the critically wounded, potentially including a former 30 Seconds to Mars crew member.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The coordination of this attack is very alarming. How people can just systematically execute innocent people, civilians at that, sickens me.

So sad. I just had some friends in Paris this past week and they had gone to a bar just down the street from that music venue. It is just insane.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
thepostman wrote:
This has been a gradual occurrence over the past couple months. The dark side is weakening.
I'm not really good at Trolling because I don't Troll.
I never said SJ was pro ISIS. I was just stating I'm anti ISIS. Read into that what you will. If you want it politicized:
Saying the invasion of Iraq resulted in the formation of ISIS is stupid. The Western World has been fighting Radical Islam since the 600's. Anyone remember the Barbary Pirates? They had the same discussion then as now. Jefferson wanted to fight, Adams wanted to pay them off. In 2008 Iraq was relatively stable and on the right path. Obama signaling we would no longer support the Iraqi's is what started the ball rolling towards the chaos you have today. Follow that with Obama's failure to back up his 'line in the sand' only made it worse. Throw Libya into the mix and capitulation to Iran on the Nuclear issue and we get a great example of what the World looks like without American leadership.
Opening our borders to refugees from the region is only accelerating the opportunity to another attack on US soil. Will we learn from this tragedy in France? It doesn't look like it. When our leaders are focused on things like Climate Change more than ISIS nothing will change.
So what leader would be best to face this threat? The person who orchestrated the Libya policy? What about the person who wants to take the fight to ISIS? They are coming after us because of who we are and they are evil. What has France done in Syria? Less than us. It isn't about our policy in the ME. ISIS is killing more Muslims than Christians. They aren't doing that because of US Policy. They are killing children, beheading and crucifying Christians. Is this because we have an Embassy in Saudi Arabia? Did they kill concert goers and people enjoying a bottle of wine to start the weekend because we help the Israeli's?
Why attack France? It's not like they are leading the way in the fight against Islam. They certainly aren't closely allied with the US. ISIS is pure evil and must be fought and destroyed. So I'll take the guy who wants to bomb the schmitt out of them over someone who is worried the Climate Change Summit is still a go in Paris
Last edited by Purple Haize on November 14th, 2015, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:The coordination of this attack is very alarming. How people can just systematically execute innocent people, civilians at that, sickens me.

So sad. I just had some friends in Paris this past week and they had gone to a bar just down the street from that music venue. It is just insane.
Don't forget the train attack a few months ago.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:To be fair, Haize also has a wife who's not able to work right now, in constant pain and just recently underwent surgery while uncertainty or certainty of unpleasant change (sorry Purple, I can't keep up sometimes) is wracking nerves at his job. Cut him some slack.

Now, if we can stop the arguing about if a post is or isn't political, who is or isn't trolling, as well as jumping to conclusions and putting words in people's mouths, the death toll is now over 100 and their are Americans among the critically wounded, potentially including a former 30 Seconds to Mars crew member.
Thanks for the back up (pardon all applicable puns). You did forget my moms stent and my aunts death. So yeah, I have a little less patience than normal
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
There was a French reporter on CNN earlier that said something along the lines of, "Nobody outside the White House thinks ISIS is done."
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The white house has decided to listen to people that tell them what they want to hear. It's unfortunate.
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]