This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:What's been your favorite?
We've got a bunch on DVR. We don't want to invest the time if they are just going to yank the plug
We do like the Muppets
Fear the Walking Dead has been disappointing
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Heroes: Reborn is rather underwhelming at this point.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
I won't include shows that started before September (though I do like Fear the Walking Dead), but Grandfathered and The Grinder seem good but it's only been one episode. I didn't really find them funny but they were entertaining, sort of like The Goldbergs in that respect.

Lucifer hasn't premiered, but I saw the leaked premiere and that was pretty good.

Watched several others and they have either been awful or OK and maybe I'll give them a shot if they hit streaming on Amazon, Hulu, or Netflix.

Dr. Ken premieres tomorrow night and I'm kind of excited about that one.

No matter what debuts this fall, nothing is topping Mr. Robot from the summer though.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I've watched quite a few of the pilots. In the sitcom world, The Grinder is really funny. Grandfathered has potential but will probably just be one of those easy to watch when nothing is on sitcoms. Life In Pieces was okay. It's trying to be Modern Family and is good at times, struggles at others.

For the hour long shows, Blind Spot looks like it's going to be pretty good. It has a lot of potential. Quantico is intriguing as well.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:I've watched quite a few of the pilots. In the sitcom world, The Grinder is really funny. Grandfathered has potential but will probably just be one of those easy to watch when nothing is on sitcoms. Life In Pieces was okay. It's trying to be Modern Family and is good at times, struggles at others.

For the hour long shows, Blind Spot looks like it's going to be pretty good. It has a lot of potential. Quantico is intriguing as well.
I saw the leaked Blindspot premiere. I liked it some but thought it was overcliched and the plot moved too fast. I'll likely wait for it to land on Netflix or whatever streaming platform it goes on if any. I'll just watch MNF or eventually college basketball during that time slot instead.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
The wife and I have always watched Grey's Anatomy/Scandal. We also started with How to get away with Murder. Those three give us plenty of TV time together throughout the week. One of my favorite shows is Last Man Standing. The first episode of this season was a little more serious than the others, but I'm okay with that, particularly since they tend to stick to some of the staples of traditional family values.

I've sort of run out of things to watch on Netflix. I did start watching the Blacklist, which I have liked. I did like Scorpion, but it's a pain in the butt to watch it since CBS created their own streaming platform and refuse to share to HULU/Netflix.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
SuperJon wrote:I've watched quite a few of the pilots. In the sitcom world, The Grinder is really funny. Grandfathered has potential but will probably just be one of those easy to watch when nothing is on sitcoms. Life In Pieces was okay. It's trying to be Modern Family and is good at times, struggles at others.

I saw the leaked Blindspot premiere. I liked it some but thought it was overcliched and the plot moved too fast. I'll likely wait for it to land on Netflix or whatever streaming platform it goes on if any. I'll just watch MNF or eventually college basketball during that time slot instead.
The second episode was a lot better than the first. The first episode moved too fast trying to get us all the information we needed to know.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
A lot of our favorite shows have concluded within the last couple years (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, Sons of Anarchy, Justified) so we've been looking for replacement shows. At this point, we're not really watching any traditional network shows. Several of our favorites aren't back yet (Game of Thrones, Fargo, Better Call Saul, Louie, House of Cards, Transparent, Bloodlines). The only new show I remember looking forward to is Vinyl, but it's not out until next year. We also have a huge backlog of shows that have been recommended to us over the years. Right now we're finally getting started on Friday Night Lights. Whenever we finish that I think we'll probably watch The Shield.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:Right now we're finally getting started on Friday Night Lights.
Texas Forever.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That should probably go in my sig. But that would be misrepresenting the context.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:That should probably go in my sig. But that would be misrepresenting the context.
I considered not posting it for that reason.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
adam42381 wrote:Right now we're finally getting started on Friday Night Lights.
Texas Forever.[/

One of my 2 favorite TV shows of all time. Watched an episode last nite on ESPN Classic at the hotel
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:The wife and I have always watched Grey's Anatomy/Scandal. We also started with How to get away with Murder. Those three give us plenty of TV time together throughout the week. One of my favorite shows is Last Man Standing. The first episode of this season was a little more serious than the others, but I'm okay with that, particularly since they tend to stick to some of the staples of traditional family values.

I've sort of run out of things to watch on Netflix. I did start watching the Blacklist, which I have liked. I did like Scorpion, but it's a pain in the butt to watch it since CBS created their own streaming platform and refuse to share to HULU/Netflix.
Last Man Standing is pretty good. One of the few sitcoms these days that is actually funny.
By JakeP50
Registration Days Posts
I have to watch Blindspot when I get back home, I'm excited to see actually see Ashley Johnson acting instead of just hearing her. Quantico also looks really interesting but ABC dramas have always fallen flat IMHO.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
JakeP50 wrote:I have to watch Blindspot when I get back home, I'm excited to see actually see Ashley Johnson acting instead of just hearing her. Quantico also looks really interesting but ABC dramas have always fallen flat IMHO.
Broadcast TV drama is a lot harder to stomach these days since AMC, FX, streaming services like Netflix, and the premium cable channels are constantly churning out great dramas. Heck, even USA is legitimately in the game now Mr. Robot. And many of the ones that turn out good get run into the ground for way too long, like the CSI and NCIS franchises, for example
By JakeP50
Registration Days Posts
J.J Abrams broadcast dramas have been really good recently they just get canceled after a season or two (Almost Human, Revolution). NBC for the most part still gets drama right, CBS does comedy & competition shows better, and ABC and Fox are very hit and miss.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't have the time to watch a lot of tv so my tv viewing right now is,exclusively 30 minute comedies. Watched the grinder and grandfathered the other day and both had their moments. I think the grinder has some great potential.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I loved Cristela last fall and last man standing on abc. So you think you can dance is my favorites summer show although I did get to catch big brother too on my breaks at work. There are a few I'd like to get into though, like empire and scandal...sad to see csi go but I do still catch ncis and scorpion. The big bang theory I'd love to see go maybe 11 or 12 seasons just to see Sheldon get married to Amy.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Disappointed in Dr Ken
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
It's not new, but I love Blackish, also enjoy the Goldbergs when I see that it's on. The new one on PBS, Indian Summers, is somewhat interesting, maybe just because it's different. Still waiting for The Man in the High Castle to get released by Amazon.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Call me old fashioned but we don't watch anything with nudity, etc in our house. That obviously rules out shows like Game of Thrones, etc.

So typically we wait a few weeks after a new show is out to check out the reviews that address any content issues so we can make a decision.

John Piper has a good explanation for why we should be careful when choosing what to watch.

http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/12- ... of-thrones
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:Call me old fashioned but we don't watch anything with nudity, etc in our house. That obviously rules out shows like Game of Thrones, etc.

So typically we wait a few weeks after a new show is out to check out the reviews that address any content issues so we can make a decision.

John Piper has a good explanation for why we should be careful when choosing what to watch.

http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/12- ... of-thrones
I don't consider you old fashioned at all. There are some excellent points in that link, especially the second paragraph of #10. We don't watch GoT either.
Our top shows (in no discerning order):
Modern Family
Survivor
Once Upon A Time
Big Bang Theory
The Middle
The Goldbergs

Still trying to get into Heroes: Reborn
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread