This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Moving away from our friends and church where we remain heavily involved and having up to 1.5-hour community each way across town on some days is most definitely a sacrifice. But I get your point.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Did you just say it was a sacrifice to move to a lake community?
Hey, it was a sacrifice when I moved to the beach, don't judge the Fox :P

Unless you're independently wealthy, moving from one location to another will require some type of sacrifice. Whether its time due to a longer commute, a higher cost of living, being further from family, etc...
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Our sacrifice will be moving from a pool home in a neighborhood on the river (and close to the beach). We are near a large group of friends with kids similar ages to our daughter. To leave this is tough, knowing that we will likely have to rent for a while while getting used to the area and starting new jobs. Everyone makes sacrifices.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:It shouldn't. Relocating is miserable. It may be months before our house is not decorated primarily in cardbox box brown.
I agree that could be the case but that is a briar patch for me. I have a horribly insatiable Wonderlust so that doesn't intimidate me. Plus I'd drop the cash for turn key moving at this stage in my life! An added bonus would be having all of Mrs Purple's knick knacks boxed up.......making them easier to sell!
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
As a person that has lived in Lynchburg on 3 occasions, Richmond, DC area and spent time in the VA Beach area this past year covering ODU, I can say that I miss Virginia but am so glad we relocated to Atlanta. I work from home so I don't deal with any traffic. We go into the city when we feel like it and I am 22 minutes from the airport when the season starts. Relocating can be stressful but living in a place that both the wife and husband love is a real plus.

Now if we could just get her parents to give up their life in Northern Michigan to move to GA we would be set. Sly I have experienced quality childcare from grandparents in very small spurts. It would be great to have it 24/7.

Duke I agree with you RVA>757 8)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I hate moving but 2 years from now I'll be moving out of this God awful city. I can't wait.
It's DC. Can't blame you
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I can highly recommend the Raleigh area, lived here for 40+ years after being reared in SoCal. Lots of college sports, hockey, cultural opportunities, etc. There are more PHD's here per capita than anywhere in the country, except for Boston. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive to the Burg for LU sports. It is a lot different than the Triad. However, I would do whatever makes your wife the happiest. You have to live with her for the rest of your life.
The only thing wrong with Raleigh is that too many yankees have moved into the area. :shock:
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
A big problem with NC is that it has long been a state that offers unfavorable salaries and raises for public educators and that situation doesn't seem to be improving. That's a big factor since we are both teachers. Virginia has a reputation for being more favorable.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:A big problem with NC is that it has long been a state that offers unfavorable salaries and raises for public educators and that situation doesn't seem to be improving. That's a big factor since we are both teachers. Virginia has a reputation for being more favorable.
Understand, didn't know you were both teachers. Since I know nothing about the pay/benefits for that sector, I cannot comment further. Good luck to you wherever you end up deciding to live.
By rocketfan2
This is Rocketfan, i don't have access to my former account, s tarted a new one so i could chime in on this topic.

I just went through something very similar to this and it comes with its ups and downs. I lived in Lynchburg from 1999-2015 so we were more than comfortable staying in the burg. However when my daughter was born nine months ago, my wife and i both felt like we needed to be closer to family. My parents are in Jersey, hers are divorced (mom in Cville, dad in Norfolk), and so in a pinch we didn't really have anyone close enough to "help" either. However nothing was pushing us to actually make a decision at that point. I worked for Genworth for over a decade, but that place is sinking like the titanic so i decided to see what my skills offered elsewhere. I even had strict stipulations that i couldn’t move “to much farther from any parent" and north VA or the north wasn't an option. After Genworth announced they might be doing layoffs, i casually asked my wife if i could look for other jobs outside of the burg. She was half happy/half sad i think, but ultimately she wanted to stay at home so i needed to find something else. (Note- the happy/sad stuff is a theme.) Two days prior to that “ask” a job came open that fit my skill set, so I applied. Within three weeks I had two interviews and a formal offer. Crazy how fast God works. My wife tried to protest as well, but each time she weighed the pros and cons she felt a little better, that giant bump in salary didn’t hurt either. We just closed on a house in Chesapeake two weeks ago and while we miss our friends and the mountains, it’s really a great area to live in I think. Moving/starting a new job sucks, no way to sugar coat that at all. However, I’m very happy with the move so far and would be willing to answer any questions you may have since I just went through something very similar. My wife is still in happy and sad mode but I think it’s getting a little bit better now, especially since she is an athletic trainer and didn’t have to work 60 hours a week in the fall for the first time since she graduated college. Just my 2 cents.
By HenryGale
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:Wow, back from the dead.

What's next, RagingTireFire mocking us once more?
I miss Brokeback Flamer
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
HenryGale wrote:
ALUmnus wrote:Wow, back from the dead.

What's next, RagingTireFire mocking us once more?
I miss Brokeback Flamer
That was awesome. Now handed off to a JMU fan
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
rocketfan2 wrote:This is Rocketfan, i don't have access to my former account, s tarted a new one so i could chime in on this topic.

I just went through something very similar to this and it comes with its ups and downs. I lived in Lynchburg from 1999-2015 so we were more than comfortable staying in the burg. However when my daughter was born nine months ago, my wife and i both felt like we needed to be closer to family. My parents are in Jersey, hers are divorced (mom in Cville, dad in Norfolk), and so in a pinch we didn't really have anyone close enough to "help" either. However nothing was pushing us to actually make a decision at that point. I worked for Genworth for over a decade, but that place is sinking like the titanic so i decided to see what my skills offered elsewhere. I even had strict stipulations that i couldn’t move “to much farther from any parent" and north VA or the north wasn't an option. After Genworth announced they might be doing layoffs, i casually asked my wife if i could look for other jobs outside of the burg. She was half happy/half sad i think, but ultimately she wanted to stay at home so i needed to find something else. (Note- the happy/sad stuff is a theme.) Two days prior to that “ask” a job came open that fit my skill set, so I applied. Within three weeks I had two interviews and a formal offer. Crazy how fast God works. My wife tried to protest as well, but each time she weighed the pros and cons she felt a little better, that giant bump in salary didn’t hurt either. We just closed on a house in Chesapeake two weeks ago and while we miss our friends and the mountains, it’s really a great area to live in I think. Moving/starting a new job sucks, no way to sugar coat that at all. However, I’m very happy with the move so far and would be willing to answer any questions you may have since I just went through something very similar. My wife is still in happy and sad mode but I think it’s getting a little bit better now, especially since she is an athletic trainer and didn’t have to work 60 hours a week in the fall for the first time since she graduated college. Just my 2 cents.
What part of Chesapeake are you guys in? My wife and I are off Taylor Road across from the YMCA. Be nice to have another couple or two to fellowship with (my wife has I think 2 friends in the area at this juncture and we've been here in the area since December 2013)
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Sorry I am late to the party here. Minus my time in Lynchburg, I've lived in Chesapeake since '91 and I've worked in the Chesapeake Public School system since 2001. My sister is a special ed teacher in an elementary school here and (here's the part you really want to hear) my mom works in the human resources department for CPS. Her job is deals with the sorting out of new applicants. To pile on, I am on a first name basis with many of the big wigs in the CPS city administration building.
PM me and I'll get the ball rolling for you on the job front as well as give you tips on neighborhoods and the best schools in the city.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
01LUGrad wrote:Sorry I am late to the party here. Minus my time in Lynchburg, I've lived in Chesapeake since '91 and I've worked in the Chesapeake Public School system since 2001. My sister is a special ed teacher in an elementary school here and (here's the part you really want to hear) my mom works in the human resources department for CPS. Her job is deals with the sorting out of new applicants. To pile on, I am on a first name basis with many of the big wigs in the CPS city administration building.
PM me and I'll get the ball rolling for you on the job front as well as give you tips on neighborhoods and the best schools in the city.
Wow, that's awesome. Thanks. I'll definitely be in touch once a final decision is made. I really appreciate it.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Well, after thinking things over and lots of talks, we have decided to put our house on the market and move...to the Triad area of NC (for now at least). My wife is convinced that being close to family is the best thing for us and I've come around to this idea. We will have live in my parents' guest house until we figure out exactly where we want to be. This gives us time to explore all options in NC and VA while saving money by living rent free. Also, free childcare is a huge plus. We will also have access to my parents' condos in Myrtle Beach and mountain house in Beech Mountain. I'm actually excited about this and we definitely think it's the right choice, at least for now.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:Well, after thinking things over and lots of talks, we have decided to put our house on the market and move...to the Triad area of NC (for now at least). My wife is convinced that being close to family is the best thing for us and I've come around to this idea. We will have live in my parents' guest house until we figure out exactly where we want to be. This gives us time to explore all options in NC and VA while saving money by living rent free. Also, free childcare is a huge plus. We will also have access to my parents' condos in Myrtle Beach and mountain house in Beech Mountain. I'm actually excited about this and we definitely think it's the right choice, at least for now.
Best of luck in selling the house and with the move
Election 2022 and 2024

The swing states will decide the election just lik[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]