This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
My brother-in-law sold phones for a while at an AT&T authorized reseller. He was talking to us tonight about Cricket Wireless, which is the pre-paid arm of AT&T. Our Verizon contracts are almost up and we are looking for a way to save money. Anyone have experience with Cricket? Thoughts?

I have read that Verizon phones can go onto AT&T easily, but that they won't be able to access LTE. Does that matter? I have read some anecdotal comments that speeds were very fast despite not being LTE.

If it matters, we are in the burg.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
I have prepaid directly from AT&T. Coverage seems pretty good. Don't use Cricket, but if it uses AT&T towers then I'd have the same coverage as Cricket. I do not have data so I can't attest for data speeds, however.

You're Verizon phone will have to be carrier unlocked to work on AT&T. You'll have to contact Verizon directly for that, or go online and pay for the unlock code from some website. And you'll have to be sure your phone has a SIM card slot. If not, I don't think it can be used on AT&T.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:I have prepaid directly from AT&T.
Cricket is owned by AT&T. I am not sure why they have a separate AT&T prepaid service. How much do you pay? No data? Do you not have a "smart phone"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_Wireless
lynchburgwildcats wrote:You're Verizon phone will have to be carrier unlocked to work on AT&T.
Verizon iPhones, since at least the iPhone 5, are unlocked out the door. My brother-in-law swapped his sim card and it worked just fine... It did not show LTE, but it did show 4G.
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
Seems to be the best out there which our family will be moving to shortly. Other pre-paids either have crappy phone selection or terribly low data (1gb or under) so this seems to fit nicely for $70/month. Just tired of paying $120+month for 2 lines... can't tolerate such a rip off anymore.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I finally gave up my unlimited data plan at Verizon that I have held onto for years. The new VZW plans are just so much more cost-effective.
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I finally gave up my unlimited data plan at Verizon that I have held onto for years. The new VZW plans are just so much more cost-effective.
I must be getting screwed by only needing a phone for my wife and I...I just went on Verizon and added two Samsung Galaxy S5's... total with 3gb of shared data came to about $140 after taxes. I assume the savings must be more concentrated around larger families? Granted it's Verizon so the better quality should have a higher price tag, but sometimes I feel like I feel like i must be missing something.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
The big difference is whether they are subsidizing the cost of your phone or not. Carriers have a lot of discounts if you are paying full price for your device or bring your own over.
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:The big difference is whether they are subsidizing the cost of your phone or not. Carriers have a lot of discounts if you are paying full price for your device or bring your own over.
Aren't all carriers doing away with subsidizing in order to "save customers money?" Again, everyone's situation is different, but it seems like the prices from what I was shopping for phones 2 years ago via subsidized cost to today via installment plans is no different for the big 4.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Well the "installment plans" simply make the cost of subsidizing transparent to the consumer. But if you are always buying a new phone and wrapping the cost of that phone into your bill, expect to pay a high monthly fee.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, a new Galaxy S6 will put you back $24/mo for two years through Verizon. The Note 5 will be $29/mo and the S6 Edge will be $32/mo if you do the installment plan. There is no discount from Verizon if you want to buy the phone up front from them. The monthly payment is just divided up into 24 payments.

It should be noted that if you choose to go this route then you will be signing a 2-year contract as a result. If you bring your own phones then you can stay month-to-month.
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:Back to cricket wireless... I chortle audibly..

We may stay with Verizon, but cricket does sound appealing.
Correct. Bottom line, you would be saving an average of $400-$500/year against the big 4, for service that is 100% at&t owned. Sounds like a great route to go.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Has AT&T ever built-up their signal quality around Lynchburg? I remember that was a major issue for years.

Cricket's old network is supposedly being upgraded to improve ATT's overall quality with all of the additional towers. That is a big deal here in Texas where Cricket has operated for about 15 years. I'm not sure how long they have been in Virginia.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:I have prepaid directly from AT&T.
Cricket is owned by AT&T. I am not sure why they have a separate AT&T prepaid service. How much do you pay? No data? Do you not have a "smart phone"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_Wireless
lynchburgwildcats wrote:You're Verizon phone will have to be carrier unlocked to work on AT&T.
Verizon iPhones, since at least the iPhone 5, are unlocked out the door. My brother-in-law swapped his sim card and it worked just fine... It did not show LTE, but it did show 4G.
AT&T has had their own AT&T GoPhone branded prepaid service for many, many years. I've been a GoPhone customer for close to 5 years now and it was in existence long before I signed up.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/gophone.html

And that is correct, no data. I pay per minute/text because I barely call and nearly everyone I would want to text with I can contact them through FB Messenger, WhatsApp, Hangouts, etc. I save a crapload of money this way. Ends up costing $100 per year because I have to spend $25 every 3 months to keep my number active. If it wasn't for having to spend money to keep my number active, I'd be spending even less than that.

And I do have a smartphone - LG G3 to be exact. The per-minute plan doesn't offer a data option anymore, but even when it did I very rarely ever used it. No need for it when you are on wifi 90% of the time or more.
Last edited by lynchburgwildcats on August 17th, 2015, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Has AT&T ever built-up their signal quality around Lynchburg? I remember that was a major issue for years.

Cricket's old network is supposedly being upgraded to improve ATT's overall quality with all of the additional towers. That is a big deal here in Texas where Cricket has operated for about 15 years. I'm not sure how long they have been in Virginia.
Works every where I go in Lynchburg
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
When I was in school, the girl I was dating couldn't get text messages in Demoss because she had AT&T.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
I own a telecom company and we are a mobile service provider (MVNO). We offer our service over each of the 4 major networks. I'm working with my product manager to add an offering that will only be available from a link that I'll add on the flamefans site. Would there be any interest in a $39.99 plan using the Verizon network that included unlimited talk, text and 2GB of data? I can get creative with our plans, but I don't want to add something if there is not interest.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:I own a telecom company and we are a mobile service provider (MVNO). We offer our service over each of the 4 major networks. I'm working with my product manager to add an offering that will only be available from a link that I'll add on the flamefans site. Would there be any interest in a $39.99 plan using the Verizon network that included unlimited talk, text and 2GB of data? I can get creative with our plans, but I don't want to add something if there is not interest.
If I could afford $40 a month that would be an attractive option, I suppose.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:I hope you're not pushing some sort of pyramid scheme like ACN or something.

:?
Ha. I recently had someone try to sell me on that.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:I own a telecom company and we are a mobile service provider (MVNO). We offer our service over each of the 4 major networks. I'm working with my product manager to add an offering that will only be available from a link that I'll add on the flamefans site. Would there be any interest in a $39.99 plan using the Verizon network that included unlimited talk, text and 2GB of data? I can get creative with our plans, but I don't want to add something if there is not interest.
I have this currently with Total Wireless for $35 but am limited to 3G. Would this be at 4G/LTE?
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
What happens at 2.1GB?
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:I hope you're not pushing some sort of pyramid scheme like ACN or something. :?
I have not heard of ACN, but I understand what you're asking. This is my company that I started with a partner in 1997.
flamehunter wrote:
I have this currently with Total Wireless for $35 but am limited to 3G. Would this be at 4G/LTE?
Service includes 4G (based on the device). We released 4G in May on the Verizon network.
alabama24 wrote:
What happens at 2.1GB?
You have an option to have it throttled to slower speeds (no cost) or continue to pay as you go ($15/ additional GB).
Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]