This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Looks like the T-Mobile/International model is starting to win out in the USA now
Now, however, if you want a new phone, you’ll need to either buy it outright or sign up for a monthly payment plan.
In addition to the changes to how phones are subsidized, Verizon is also switching to a data bucket model for phone lines. Rather than signing up for single or family lines, you’ll pay for a shared bucket of data. These buckets come in the following sizes and prices:

Small: $30/month for 1GB
Medium: $45/month for 3GB
Large: $60/month for 6GB
X-Large: $80/month for 12GB
And yes, that’s actually what Verizon calls each tier. That pool of data is shared between all the devices on your plan. Of course, that charge is for the data itself. You also have to pay a fee to add a line to each plan. There’s no difference between single or family plan pricing, but the charges go up per device. The costs for each type of device are as follows:

$20 per smartphone.
$10 per tablet.
$5 per smartwatch.
http://lifehacker.com/verizon-is-killin ... 1722735381
SuperJon wrote:With that plan, I'd get 2GB more and still save money.
It will be more for us if we both get new phones. We spend $132 (total including taxes) for 2 iPhones, unlimited talk & text, and 2 GB per line. Of course, it was also $400 up front. I am unsure if we will be able to keep this plan or not.

With the new system, we would need the "large" data plan (6gb) for $60. Two lines would add $40 ($20 ea.) for a total of $200. New phones would add at least $55 per month plus taxes.

If the $400 from our current plan were spread out over 24 months, it would add about $17 per month for a total of $149.

Does anyone have a suggestion for selling back phones for the max price? I have used gazelle before, but our phones (5c, 32gb) are going for only $85. Last go around we sold our devices for $200 each (covering the $400). By the way, my wife's iPhone was replaced by apple with a brand new device in late June.
alabama24 wrote:Does anyone have a suggestion for selling back phones for the max price? I have used gazelle before, but our phones (5c, 32gb) are going for only $85. Last go around we sold our devices for $200 each (covering the $400). By the way, my wife's iPhone was replaced by apple with a brand new device in late June.
Sites like Gazelle that just buy your phones are scams. They are the textbook buyback companies of the cell phone world, giving you pennies on the dollar for what they are really worth.

Swappa. It's similar to eBay Buy Now listings, but this site is designed solely for phones, tablets, and smart watches, and they don't ream fees like Ebay does (listing fee, 10% sales fee). Only fee is a $10 flat fee that is only paid if the device sells. Do keep in mind when you pick a sales price, the cost of shipping is supposed to be factored in, unlike eBay where you can pick a sales price and then tack on a separate shipping price.

Current average 32GB iPhone 5c selling prices on there is $218, two just sold for $225 and $235. And those were listed as "good" condition, would have gotten more than that if they were in mint condition. Although I rarely ever see an iPhone user that would have an iPhone that could qualify for the mint listing - 60 of the Verizon iPhone 5Cs are on there and none are listed as mint condition, for example.

I've sold 2 (maybe 3 phones) on there. The two I remember selling, I made more than double (even after factoring in the $10 fee, PayPal fees, and shipping) what Gazelle and other similar sites were offering for my phones. Only way I would NOT sell a phone on there is if I knew someone in person who would give me a competitive price. Popular phones sell pretty quick on there as long as you don't price it too high. Both of the phones I remember selling on there (Nexus 5, Moto G) sold in less than 3 days.

Great place to go to buy a phone too since all listing require pictures of the real phone to be uploaded along with pictures proving the phone works. You can save a lot of money and get a phone that is still in good condition. bought two on there before, both looked practically brand new, got each for over $100 less than if I had bought it brand new on Amazon.
verizon called us and doubled our data for nothing. we have 6 lines all smartphones. 8 gigs of data (we've hit 75% once in the last 6 mo) and pay just a bit over 300 a month.

by far verizon's coverage has obliterated any other carrier. att, tmobile, sprint all are hit and miss.
RubberMallet wrote:verizon called us and doubled our data for nothing. we have 6 lines all smartphones. 8 gigs of data (we've hit 75% once in the last 6 mo) and pay just a bit over 300 a month.

by far verizon's coverage has obliterated any other carrier. att, tmobile, sprint all are hit and miss.
Actually I've gotten service with US Cellular where all others weren't working. However, since I stopped sharing a plan with my parents and we went to Verizon, I have noticed faster speeds.
I stay with Verizon because of the coverage. One of my co workers switched to US Cellular and he gets great metro coverage but not as good in rural areas......where we spend -/2 our time.
I think I'm a forerunner to this program as I signed up for 'The Edge ' plan. Sounds like the same deal they are doing now. I just hate the size of my monthly bill at nearly $200 month.
Purple Haize wrote:I think I'm a forerunner to this program as I signed up for 'The Edge ' plan. Sounds like the same deal they are doing now. I just hate the size of my monthly bill at nearly $200 month.
We did the same thing back in January and are at around $160 for 10GB/month and two iPhone 6's. It's a lot of money but we have coverage pretty much everywhere.
SuperJon wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I think I'm a forerunner to this program as I signed up for 'The Edge ' plan. Sounds like the same deal they are doing now. I just hate the size of my monthly bill at nearly $200 month.
We did the same thing back in January and are at around $160 for 10GB/month and two iPhone 6's. It's a lot of money but we have coverage pretty much everywhere.
Yep. That's about where we are. It's expensive but if you can't get coverage how good of a deal is somewhere else?
I do see a trend in cell phone prices dropping as more and more carriers adopt this model. By carriers subsidizing the phones it allowed manufacturers the abity to charge more

On a side note I'm really thinking about going away from the iPhone because the camera sucks. Any suggestions ?
I've had nTelos for over 4 years now. Our first plan was an unlimited everything (data too 3G speeds only) for $130/mo. We just re-up'd and I now have the S6 Edge. Our new plan only has 5 GB's of data, but we've never used more than 3 GB combined in a month over the past year. The majority of the time I'm on my phone and needing data, I have access to wifi. My new plan is actually going to lower my bill (w/ phones included around $120/mo w/ fees and taxes). nTelos is small and is just getting 4G hooked up in Lynchburg, but if you're not on their towers locally you're using Verizon towers at no extra charge to you. In my opinion, you can't beat that.

To be perfectly honest though, I really love the cellular industry. There is a ton of competition out there right now between all the carriers, which is great for the consumer. I only wish residential/business broadband and cable could be the same.
If you want Verizon's coverage at a cheaper price - I went to Total Wireless a couple months ago. It is Verizon's entry into the pay as you go market and uses their network. So far coverage is good everywhere I have been. Unlimited talk and text and 2 gigs for $35 a month.
Purple Haize wrote: On a side note I'm really thinking about going away from the iPhone because the camera sucks. Any suggestions ?
The iPhone camera may not have the best specs, but it takes really good pictures. In your case, it must be the photographer. I just swapped out my iPhone last week (still had the 4), and upgraded to the LG G4. It'll take me a bit to get used to Android, but it's a really good phone. Best Buy was throwing in a free TV with a G4 purchase, so I figured now is as good a time as any. Also, this summer if you register your G4 with LG, they'll send you a spare battery and a free leather back panel.
alabama24 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:On a side note I'm really thinking about going away from the iPhone because the camera sucks. Any suggestions ?
What? Maybe it's user error (i.e. the Haize before the lens) I chortle audibly.

Look at all these crappy photos: http://www.apple.com/iphone/world-galle ... kwm-iphone
I compared my photos at the U2 concert to the person next to me NOT using an iPhone. I'm still waiting for them to email me their pics. Unbelievable difference
lynchburgwildcats wrote:iPhone cameras are generally amongst the best in the smartphone world. If you can't take good pictures with that then it's not the phone's fault.
This is the truth...and I'm not an iPhone guy...in the photographer community, the iPhone camera is usually regarded as the best of the cell phones.

And if you are using HDR, you have to hold it PERFECTLY still....I rarely use HDR unless there is a lot of variability in the highlights and shadows.
HenryGale wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:iPhone cameras are generally amongst the best in the smartphone world. If you can't take good pictures with that then it's not the phone's fault.
This is the truth...and I'm not an iPhone guy...in the photographer community, the iPhone camera is usually regarded as the best of the cell phones.

And if you are using HDR, you have to hold it PERFECTLY still....I rarely use HDR unless there is a lot of variability in the highlights and shadows.
You've seen my vids and pics on FB. You are telling me that's the best we can get?
Purple Haize wrote:
HenryGale wrote:

You've seen my vids and pics on FB. You are telling me that's the best we can get?
You won't do much better....the sensors on cell phones are too small to work well in low light. It takes VERY expensive DSLR's to even have a chance of getting good images in low light.

Your best bet is to not zoom...as soon as you zoom in, image quality drops significantly.
Ok. But I'm telling you the lady next to me had incredible pictures from the U2 concert. And she zoomed! I THINK it was a Galaxy but not sure. But you are a photo geek so I'll take your word for it
There are some apps that will allow you to fine tune your iOS camera to meet the environment you're in.

In a dark environment (concert), it is tougher to get a good image without a dslr but if you know what to adjust to shoot in low light, you can improve some of your image quality.

That's all I have to say about that.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]