This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Kiwon
Sometimes a little reality check is helpful.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peop ... /22720273/

Bobbi Kristina Brown, is dead at 22, and followed her mother, Whitney Houston, who died at 47, and followed Amy Winehouse, who died at 27, and followed Michael Jackson, who died at 50 years of age. Yeah, alcohol and drug use is really positive.

And let’s don’t forget our acting friends….Robin Williams, 63 (yes, he was a user), Philip Seymour Hoffman, 46, Heath Ledger, 28….no talent lost there, right?

Bill Cosby and Darren Sharper found some good uses for them…..drug women and rape them. And the high school football players in Ohio, and the Vandy players, and the guys during Spring Break this year in Florida did the same and recorded it! It just makes evidence collection for the police a little easier.

And the fake Rolling Stone story against the UVA frat had traction because date rape IS a problem on college campuses. Aw, no worries, it’s somebody else’s daughter.

And then there’s our naked cannibal friend in Florida high on ICE and gnawing on a stranger’s face. He’s a real winner, normal one day and insane the next, as the police shoot him to death. His victim, then homeless, was a graduate of the most prestigious public high school in New York City, Stuyvesant High School, and possessed an IQ of 129. But he traded alcohol for college and ended up homeless for decades and now is missing both eyes, his nose, his lips…. Ah, maybe he should have stayed in school.

And don’t believe a word about the drug trade profiting violent cartels in Latin America. It’s a lie! Why I’d sooner believe that a Mexican cartel kingpin could escape from a maximum security prison via a motorcycle through a mile long tunnel before I would believe that American drug users help to fuel violence and death by creating a market for illegal drugs.

And there is no way that groups in countries like Afghanistan, Iran, and North Korea use the drug trade to build themselves up and fund terrorist activities throughout the world! Everyone knows that they use those funds to support such progressive causes as Women’s education and LGBT-equality initiatives.

The naïve (i.e. foolish) believe “Alcohol and drug use is just innocent and harmless fun. That’s not the case for many that I know….the parents who lost their only child, a seminary student, to a drunken driver….the Bible College employee, a virgin, who was raped and left emotionally scarred….the 8 children of a couple who divorced after 34 years of marriage due to alcoholism…Women in an Al-Anon meeting who felt uncomfortable to recite The Lord’s Prayer because it starts with the words “Our Father”…Prisoners, 95% of whom were incarcerated in part due to alcohol or drug abuse…A church member, a young woman, raped at a college party and doesn’t know who the father of her son is…A woman, raped by her father for years as a teen and deals with so many issues now as an adult…Another woman, raped by two different family members and lived and died in misery…Another church member, used for prostitution as a child…a child born with disabilities because the teen mother kept drinking while pregnant…and I could go on and on with other examples.

Some of you guys that want to excuse or justify alcohol and drug use need a serious reality check. Just what positives does it add to your lives?

If you could honestly name even one, I would counter that you are a better person WITHOUT using any alcohol or drugs. Can you honestly tell me that I am incorrect?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
You are confusing use with abuse. Medically there are a lot of good reasons to have a drink now and then. Further, you don't hear too much about the food people eat being good or bad for you. Can you name me one thing that eating a jelly bean adds to your life?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:You are confusing use with abuse. Medically there are a lot of good reasons to have a drink now and then. Further, you don't hear too much about the food people eat being good or bad for you. Can you name me one thing that eating a jelly bean adds to your life?
This.

Furthermore, if we treated drug abuse more as a public health concern rather than a crime, perhaps the incarceration and recidivism rate would drop quite a bit.

In regards to the illegal drug trade, by far the drug of choice is marijuana. Legalize and regulate the use for medicinal and recreational purposes, perhaps these cartels may see some of their profits evaporate:

http://www.government.nl/issues/drugs/d ... soft-drugs
Reasons for toleration policy

The Netherlands tolerates the sale of soft drugs in coffee shops and takes rigorous action to suppress the sale of hard drugs. By adopting this strategy, the government separates these two markets. Cannabis users are not obliged to buy their soft drugs from criminal dealers who might easily bring them into contact with hard drugs.
Finally, for the record, I do not use any illegal substances and waited until I was 21 before taking my first sip of an alcoholic beverage. I do enjoy wine with dinner, not to get a buzz or to relax, but b/c I think some wines actually taste good with certain foods.

Finally, are there any good positives to drinking soda?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
ATrain wrote:Finally, are there any good positives to drinking soda?
Because Dr. Pepper is delicious.
And it's made from a Doctor

Oh. And the caffeine. Which we all know isn't a drug
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yes. Soda tastes good as do all the other fatty foods served at church pot lucks. I may be a food addict and will die suddenly from heart failure but I'm not at low as those low life alcoholics and drug addicts!
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Kiwon... you might like to sit and drink a Coca-Cola product and watch a football game (I don't know). Nevermind that soda is chock full of crap that isn't good for you and increases your risk to diabetes and heart disease all the while being an addictive substance. Me... I like to go down VA-6 on a crisp fall day and visit one of of the regions' beautiful wineries. I buy a bottle, sit outside and relax while I sip wine and admire the beauty of the landscape and the woman God blessed me with. I understand that there are those who abuse substances. Please understand that abuse extends to more than just the typical substances the church likes to wage war on. Food can be abused for instance, by many of the church members who rail against other people for having a glass of wine. I don't assume that you are any of these things, but I disagree with your dogma. Most things in life can be both good or evil, depending on how they are used by us. We are the determining factor.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:I think I'll go have a beer.
Son it's too early for a beer. Go witha Screwdriver
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
adam42381 wrote:I think I'll go have a beer.
Son it's too early for a beer. Go witha Screwdriver
It's never too early during the summer. Maybe I'll just have a Bloody Mary.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ATrain wrote:Coffee with Bailey's...or a Mimosa
Way to stereotype
Oh I can do better than that...

Pomegranate Mimosa :P
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Mimosa's are my preferred drink from 8am - noon on Thanksgiving Day. After that it's a switch to an Octoberfest brew until dinner hour arrives, at which point it's red wine only.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
ATrain wrote:Finally, are there any good positives to drinking soda?
Some of them are mighty tasty when mixed with alochol. Provides people jobs.
FIFY
Heretic.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
welp you guys about covered it.

Lunchtime lager it is.

and yes KIWON, I actually enjoy the taste

additionally- I'm in my 40's and know my limits
Last edited by PAmedic on July 27th, 2015, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm […]

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]