This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

The farm is worth an estimated $600,000, it will be sold for a nominal fee of $200.

That’s because Silver and Berry aren't selling the farm at all, but rather giving it away to the winner of an essay contest that began in March of this year. The winner and two runners-up will be chosen from 25 finalists in late-November.

The $200 is the entry fee to enter the essay contest. The winner will ultimately receive ownership of the farm, should they want it, free of charge.
http://patch.com/virginia/reston/virgin ... -contest-0
By Kiwon
Interesting definition of "giving."

They are "giving away" the property after collecting the $200 essay entrance fees and amassing some significant wealth.

"We debated details. How much should we charge as an entry fee? We settled upon $200 because it would require fewer entries and generate enough money for us to pay the remaining mortgage, buy a retirement home, pay Uncle Sam a huge chunk of money, and establish college funds for our four grandsons."
Then don't enter. I think it's a great idea. It only costs the winner $200. Who cares how much the sellers make?
This is like Amazon telling you that you can stream all these movies and TV shows for free, so long as you pay $99 a year for Amazon Prime. Well last time I checked, if I have to pay to get it, then it's not free or being given away.

But here's a key question: Can you lie your butt off on the essay to win it just so you can turn around and sell it?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:This is like Amazon telling you that you can stream all these movies and TV shows for free, so long as you pay $99 a year for Amazon Prime. Well last time I checked, if I have to pay to get it, then it's not free or being given away.

But here's a key question: Can you lie your butt off on the essay to win it just so you can turn around and sell it?
I believe you have to keep it for two years, per the agreement.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]