This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

01LUGrad wrote:Like several have stated above, I'm really not concerned about legalizing gay marriage in it of itself. That truly has no bearing on me (Divorce is a sin and is also legal in this country, but no one is out there trying to get it overturned because it is immoral). What does concern me is where this is going. Here's my prediction of how things will progress over the next 5-7 years (depending on when the next Justice steps down):
-"Equality" activists seek new executive orders that include expanding the definition of what is considered a hate crime to include religious organizations' public statements against homosexuality.
-These laws will be upheld by the Court that will be made up of at least 6 liberal judges who are sympathetic to the cause of "equality"
-This will cause any church who speaks out on this issue to lose their tax exempt status
-Pastors will then not be allowed to refuse to marry same-sex couples or face charges under the new hate crime executive orders

The legalization of same sex marriage is small potatoes for Satan. It is merely a means to an end. That end is the destruction of the American church. If you don't think this is possible, do some research on Denmark. It's already happening there.

Ya sure about that ?
I don't think Pastors will be forced to marry same-sex couples in the near future (except in certain denominations by their own leadership). I do think, however, that there will be lawsuits (and soon) over the use of the church BUILDINGS for those ceremonies.
I do agree that a fight on those grounds will likely gain more sympathy from a judge, but I wouldn't put it past an activist judge to rule against a pastor as a conscientious objector as long as the pastor remains an agent of a federally recognized non-profit organization.
alabama24 wrote:It won't hold up in the supreme court... at least not now.
We'd all like to think. It all depends on how the argument is framed and less on legal standing, as we tend to see more recently.
01LUGrad wrote:The legalization of same sex marriage is small potatoes for Satan. It is merely a means to an end. That end is the destruction of the American church. If you don't think this is possible, do some research on Denmark. It's already happening there.
Unfortunately we've done a great job of that ourselves without the help of same sex marriage.

I wonder if the Church in America is dying because we've spent all our energy being jerks who try to pass laws and win arguments instead of doing the one thing we were commanded to do above all else: love people like we love ourselves. If we loved those we disagreed with with the same passion and energy that we tell them they're wrong, imagine how different things would be. 
Sly Fox wrote:
Am I the only one who reads the language of the decision and sees the court reviewing polygamy rather rapidly?

no no no no no. That's a slippery slope argument. And you're not allowed to use those.
I agree with you SJ unfortunately that kind of view is seen by many Christians as weak. There are plenty of great churches doing the right thing and even have sound doctrine. It may not be easy at times to be a Christian but where did Jesus ever say it would be easy? Legislating is the easy way out. Hearts truly changing takes hard work. The kind of work most Christians, myself included, aren't willing to do. We would rather the government do it for us. Even us limited government guys are guilty of that if we get real honest with ourselves.

The good thing about all of this is it has helped me do a lot of self evaluation. I suck at the great commission and loving people like Christ does. I struggle with a lot. So why don't we focus on how we can help eachother and reach those who need Jesus?

That doesn't mean you don't have sound doctrine and stick to you convictions but bashing groups of people on social media or a message board will do nothing to change the world for Christ. Some Christians reacted to this news beautifully. Some reacted as if our country is coming to an end as if this country doesn't already have a huge checkered past. Some of that checkered past was even done in the name of Christ.

I didn't mean to write a book but I am just so tired of this lazy attitude that many Christians have that try to have the government do the heavy lifting. I am guilty of it as well.

I am also sorry for the typing and grammatical errors.
LUconn wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:
Am I the only one who reads the language of the decision and sees the court reviewing polygamy rather rapidly?

no no no no no. That's a slippery slope argument. And you're not allowed to use those.
Your GNED professor gives you an A
ATrain wrote:
LUconn wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:

Your GNED professor gives you an A
Mine taught me that using birth control was a sin, but that's a whole other issue entirely.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Christians are to Love one Another. We are also called to stand up for what is right. Its the fine line.
I pray each of you, and myself, that we are able to walk that line in these days.
Amazed (should I be?) at all the "the legalizing of gay marriage doesn't really bother/concern me..." comments. And we wonder how this ever happened. This line of reasoning has an incredibly shallow view of marriage, and is EXTREMELY short-sighted. It's as if actions don't have consequences, and morality has no place in the law. Oh yeah, and something about words having no meaning. Incredible, really.
ALUmnus wrote:Amazed (should I be?) at all the "the legalizing of gay marriage doesn't really bother/concern me..." comments. And we wonder how this ever happened. This line of reasoning has an incredibly shallow view of marriage, and is EXTREMELY short-sighted. It's as if actions don't have consequences, and morality has no place in the law. Oh yeah, and something about words having no meaning. Incredible, really.
You're spot on and this is a huge result of how the issue has been positioned. It's not unlike how abortion has been framed as about choice instead of the death of children.

John Piper's statement on why this is important is a good read.

http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/so- ... x-marriage
Comparing abortion and same sex marriage is a bit of a stretch. On a basic level who is physically harmed by a gay couple getting married? The answer is obvious when it comes to abortion. It do we reject the woman who aborted a child? Do we call her and her doctor 'murderers'? If we as the church do not embrace the people regardless of their actions are we following the Great Commission ? If the Church rejects them how can the Church expect them to come back?
I do not want the Government telling the Church what to do. I also do not want to live in a Theocracy where ones interpretation of the Bible is what rules the land. IMO the world would be a much better place if the Church focused on Loving people instead of Legislating people
The death of children is not the same as 2 grown adults of the same sex getting married. It is such a huge stretch to compare the two. One effects a child that has zero say in the matter the other effect 2 grown adults.

Totally different and should not be compared at all.
thepostman wrote:he stole my line and I am offended nobody acknowledged it...

Don't worry beej, that is a joke I am not taking your line! This place just needed a joke to lighten the mood a bit.
I didn't steal it. At worst I plagarized it!
If either of you actually read what I wrote you would see that I'm talking about how the argument is being framed. One side has dictated how the argument has been framed and if you dissent from that side, you are cast as a hateful bigot. I'm not comparing the actual act of abortion vs gay unions.

Whoever said the church should reject people? Pretty much every major Christian figure worth their salt has said we still need to reach out to the lost with love and truth. Unfortuately everyone wants the love but not the truth.
We as Christians have spent long enough treating marriage like a toy like everyone else to the point where this was a pretty easy to see how this would happen.
Yacht Rock wrote:If either of you actually read what I wrote you would see that I'm talking about how the argument is being framed. One side has dictated how the argument has been framed and if you dissent from that side, you are cast as a hateful bigot. I'm not comparing the actual act of abortion vs gay unions.

Whoever said the church should reject people? Pretty much every major Christian figure worth their salt has said we still need to reach out to the lost with love and truth. Unfortuately everyone wants the love but not the truth.
I know what you were saying I just allowed it to get me a bit too fired up. I apologize for that.
whats interesting is those on my fb feed who tout the love wins hashtag and or are posting "if you don't value love, compassion, blah blah blah, then please defriend me" crap over the weekend are some of the most angry, unloving, and selfish people i know!
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Christians have butchered the institution of the family, well enough on our own. Doesnt change the fact that Homosexuality is a sin.
SuperJon wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:IMO the world would be a much better place if the Church focused on Loving people instead of Legislating people
Boom!
But when we even hint that what they are doing is morally wrong and do it in our most loving way possible, don't they still scream "You hateful bigoted homophobe!"? Or does loving them in your book mean we just don't tell them they are wrong at all? And is it wrong to support legislation that is in line with God's principles?
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]