This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Kiwon
I recently got a new laptop, Lenovo Y40 (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2459973/ ... -1000.html) and thought I would try a new web browser since support for IE was ending.

I have tried to make a go of using FireFox but pages crash and don't load properly, especially those with auto-play video. The 3rd party software at secure financial sites apparently don't work well with FireFox either.

I know many people use GoogleChrome but I was really annoyed to read that Google stores everyone's entire search history as they look to commoditize every scrap of data. I know that privacy on the Internet is an illusion but sometimes it's more convenient to stay in the Matrix than live in the real world.

Anyway.....I am open to suggestions on good browsers. Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks for the advice.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I think your only other option would be Safari if you don't like Chrome and Firefox isn't working out for you.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
you can turn off chromes reporting. and you should not have those problems with firefox. i don't like the newer versions of firefox so i use Palemoon which is updated older versions of firefox and works fine.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:I think your only other option would be Safari if you don't like Chrome and Firefox isn't working out for you.
Which Apple has long abandoned for Windows.

Give Opera a try.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
You can turn everything you want privacy wise with Chrome...don't let that be a reason. If there's other reasons then that's another thing but it's hard to beat Chrome when it comes to browsers.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Chrome is by far the fastest in my opinion. And as far as privacy concerns go, your data is stored everywhere you go already anyways. It's likely that IE, Firefox, Safari and any other browser out there do similar things... it's just Google is the giant compared to the rest, so they get reported on.
By Kiwon
Again, I know that privacy is a fantasy but I do have a follow-up question about Chrome. If you do use their privacy controls, does it have an impact on the ads that populate various web pages?

For example, if I search for "Deer Park Bottled Water" in Google, am I going to see ads for Deer Park Bottled Water when I go to Yahoo Sports the next day?
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Kiwon wrote:Again, I know that privacy is a fantasy but I do have a follow-up question about Chrome. If you do use their privacy controls, does it have an impact on the ads that populate various web pages?

For example, if I search for "Deer Park Bottled Water" in Google, am I going to see ads for Deer Park Bottled Water when I go to Yahoo Sports the next day?
You're talking about 'cookies' here I think... most browsers allow you to turn them off (Google included I think). But a lot of websites require you to have them turned on to have full access to their content. If that bugs you, just set your internet options to always delete your internet history, cache, and temporary files everytime you exit the browser.
By Kiwon
Sly Fox wrote:If you have an Android phone, then Chrome is the only legitimate option. Chrome works across all platforms seamlessly.
Hmm.... interesting. I use a Galaxy S5. That is something to consider.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Chrome is dropping support for NPAPI in the not-too-distant future. Opera is as well, from what I've read. Impact immediately will be any sites requiring Flash, but it's going to cause plug-in problems as well, unless programmers change their code. Google says it's because of security and stability issues.

It's putting me in a bad spot - I just transitioned all the computers at school from IE to Chrome, and now we're going to have to do something different - probably FireFox.
Election 2022 and 2024

Then he went on to win 49 out of 50 states.

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]