This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Dallas gets a few drops and the world comes to an end. We'll get substantially more and not whine about it.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Man sly you make me never want to visit Houston.
You'll be bombarded by their inferiority complex when it comes to Dallas. Anyway, the AP is reporting school districts are cancelling classes and calling for voluntary evacuations down there...for a measly little tropical storm (WIMPS).

In other news, Sly has this inaccurate idea that Houston = all things Texas. The reality is the rest of the state doesn't care about Houston.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
"Oh no, Mr. Bill!" Puh-lease.

There were a few summer school classes on the coast cancelled. The only evacuations were on the Bolivar Peninsula which is basically a sand dune that floods with every passing storm. Otherwise this is the lightest rainfall we have had in months. I fly to Seattle around lunchtime and very few flights are being impacted at either local airport.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:"Oh no, Mr. Bill!" Puh-lease.

There were a few summer school classes on the coast cancelled. The only evacuations were on the Bolivar Peninsula which is basically a sand dune that floods with every passing storm. Otherwise this is the lightest rainfall we have had in months. I fly to Seattle around lunchtime and very few flights are being impacted at either local airport.
I was kinda hoping this was my chance to rock like a hurricane
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:"Oh no, Mr. Bill!" Puh-lease.

I was kinda hoping this was my chance to rock Sly like a hurricane
FTFY.

We were actually down in Galveston over the weekend. Good seafood, but there's no real beach there. The water comes straight up to the seawall. It didn't help that it was raining the whole time we were there.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The fishing is fairly strong in Galvy and there are some good restaurants as well. The Strand can be fun as well. But my parents live 20 minutes form the seawall and we don't drive over there very often.

The better beaches are all down in South Texas.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:The fishing is fairly strong in Galvy and there are some good restaurants as well. The Strand can be fun as well. But my parents live 20 minutes form the seawall and we don't drive over there very often.

That's what people in my office said. They recommended Corpus and South Padre, but is there anywhere that's a little less touristry?

The Strand was very fun, despite the rain. We ate at Fisherman's Wharf, we got the lobster fondue and the platter that included bacon-wrapped shrimp...AMAZING.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:The fishing is fairly strong in Galvy and there are some good restaurants as well. The Strand can be fun as well. But my parents live 20 minutes form the seawall and we don't drive over there very often.

That's what people in my office said. They recommended Corpus and South Padre, but is there anywhere that's a little less touristry?

The Strand was very fun, despite the rain. We ate at Fisherman's Wharf, we got the lobster fondue and the platter that included bacon-wrapped shrimp...AMAZING.
Lobster fondue? How gay! :D
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
With the exception of South Padre Island, none of the Texas beaches are very touristy. Mustang Island from Port Aransas to the bridge to Padre is still open to vehicles driving on the beach and has miles of beach where you will be the only soul there. TallyW should be able to vouch on these counts from his Corpus days.

The only decent beach in Galveston is Stewart Beach. And my family is down with the Pleasure Pier when on the island. The Schlitterbahn on the island is nowhere near the level of excellence of the original in New Braunfels.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:With the exception of South Padre Island, none of the Texas beaches are very touristy. Mustang Island from Port Aransas to the bridge to Padre is still open to vehicles driving on the beach and has miles of beach where you will be the only soul there. TallyW should be able to vouch on these counts from his Corpus days.

The only decent beach in Galveston is Stewart Beach. And my family is down with the Pleasure Pier when on the island. The Schlitterbahn on the island is nowhere near the level of excellence of the original in New Braunfels.
Yeah, we saw the Schlitterbahn waterpark when we went to the indoor rainforest at Moody's. It didn't look very impressive. We hope to make it down to the original in New Braunfels one day soon (as well as Six Flags in Arlington and San Antonio). We didn't go to Pleasure Pier due to the rain, opting to visit the Strand District instead.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Just a week after some brutal remnants of a hurricane, the state is get hammered again today. It hasn't hit the Houston area yet but we are bracing for flooding like they are having now in San Antonio & Austin.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Corsicana got it real bad last week, 20 inches of rain. I didn't realize there were flooding issues in San Antonio and Austin, wasn't Austin just being threatened by wildfires a couple weeks ago?
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]