This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
My wife was telling me about this last night. The most surprising thing to me was that the Family Research Council hired him in the first place. Was none of this part of his criminal record?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:My wife was telling me about this last night. The most surprising thing to me was that the Family Research Council hired him in the first place. Was none of this part of his criminal record?
Most juvenile records are sealed and/or expunged after the offender turns 18. The fact that FRC didn't check out his background isn't very surprising to me however.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
He has no criminal record based on the stories being published online. He now openly admits the molestation but no formal charges were ever filed. This story is an epic case of your sins eventually finding you out with hidden letters in books and Oprah of all people being involved.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:My wife was telling me about this last night. The most surprising thing to me was that the Family Research Council hired him in the first place. Was none of this part of his criminal record?
According to one of the things I read (which means there's a likely chance it isn't true), the charges were never actually filed because the police officer in charge actually was arrested for something amidst the investigation and no one came back to it until the statute of limitations had ended.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: The fact that FRC didn't check out his background isn't very surprising to me however.
I'll go out on a limb and say that the FRC's standards are just a taaaad higher than the HRC's.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:
ATrain wrote: The fact that FRC didn't check out his background isn't very surprising to me however.
I'll go out on a limb and say that the FRC's standards are just a taaaad higher than the HRC's.
Yes, I am aware that one of the HRC's founders is dealing with his own accusations of sexual abuse that is within the statute of limitations of another jurisdiction.

However, the fact is, the FRC has routinely blasted gays as being a threat to children and now they have egg on their face. I just feel sad for the girls involved in this.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
well you had to figure 1 out of the 19 or whatever would be a weirdo.

and isn't he one of like a few boys? i just wonder at the time a parent can spend with a teen to help them discuss these types of feelings and what not when you have an entire softball team to also deal with....
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
As fans of the show, I was deeply saddened to hear this story from my wife. I am saddened that this has cost Josh his job and am hopeful that this situation does not have farther reaching implications to his own family.

That said, pulling the show was a bit of a knee jerk reaction on the part of the network, especially given that no charges were filed. also, I have no right to sit on some moral pedestal and cast verbal stones, because I made my own bad decisions in my life, even though there were never any legal repercussions, as there are here. I hope that the family can heal from the revisiting of this situation and become closer, even if the show never returns (which is very likely).
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:That said, pulling the show was a bit of a knee jerk reaction on the part of the network, especially given that no charges were filed.
This is where you're wrong. They canceled Honey Boo Boo because the mom was dating a child molester. Josh Duggar, while no charges were filed, is an admitted child molester because he and his father turned him in and admitted to it. Some of the media backlash is ridiculous, but A&E did what they had to do.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:That said, pulling the show was a bit of a knee jerk reaction on the part of the network, especially given that no charges were filed.
This is where you're wrong. They canceled Honey Boo Boo because the mom was dating a child molester. Josh Duggar, while no charges were filed, is an admitted child molester because he and his father turned him in and admitted to it. Some of the media backlash is ridiculous, but A&E did what they had to do.
Jim Bakker is still on TV. So there's hope :twisted:
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:As fans of the show, I was deeply saddened to hear this story from my wife. I am saddened that this has cost Josh his job and am hopeful that this situation does not have farther reaching implications to his own family.

That said, pulling the show was a bit of a knee jerk reaction on the part of the network, especially given that no charges were filed. also, I have no right to sit on some moral pedestal and cast verbal stones, because I made my own bad decisions in my life, even though there were never any legal repercussions, as there are here. I hope that the family can heal from the revisiting of this situation and become closer, even if the show never returns (which is very likely).
:jawdropper
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:As fans of the show, I was deeply saddened to hear this story from my wife. I am saddened that this has cost Josh his job and am hopeful that this situation does not have farther reaching implications to his own family.

I'm not sorry he lost his job with the FRC. Part of me should be glad for the egg that's on the face o the organization, but instead, all I can really feel is sadness for the victims of the abuse and that they never got the justice they deserved.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I actually wasn't (at least not intentionally) ATrain. As a father of one (with one more on the way), I was especially saddened (and angered) to hear of these allegations (as charges is technically a misnomer since none were filed). What also saddens me though, is the apparent glee and excitement that some have that this is another cannonball (or "egg on the face" as you put it) to Christianity and to organizations like FRC. At the end of the day, these organizations are run by, and staffed by, fallen sinful men and women, which underscores, not undermines, the need for Christ. While what Josh did is still reprehensible, it does not make Christianity any less valid.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Maybe you didn't do it intentionally BJ, but when he himself stated that just b/c one is gay then they are a threat to children, he insulted millions of people and created the attitude that he was "holier than thou." Therefore, I understand the knee jerk reaction of glee at his downfall. I even had that initial reaction, but it wasn't much longer until I could feel just nothing but sadness for his victims...and sadness that the justice system cannot deliver the justice his actions deserved.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I was saddened by that as well ATrain, because actions, criminal and otherwise, should have consequences. That said, he needs prayer, just like the abused need prayer. Prayer for healing, prayer for strength, prayer for forgiveness, prayer for direction, and a lot of other things as well. God is saddened for the victims in this situation, but he is also saddened for Josh, which all Christians should be, even as they are angered by his actions.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
now that it's all over the news I guess he was famous. Not sure how being 1 of 19 kids makes you famous if your last name is Partridge or Brady
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Not sure how being 1 of 19 kids makes you famous if your last name is Partridge or Brady
I am pretty sure the kids from the "Partridge Family" and the "Brady Bunch" would all have been considered "Famous" in their day. lol
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I was saddened by that as well ATrain, because actions, criminal and otherwise, should have consequences. That said, he needs prayer, just like the abused need prayer. Prayer for healing, prayer for strength, prayer for forgiveness, prayer for direction, and a lot of other things as well. God is saddened for the victims in this situation, but he is also saddened for Josh, which all Christians should be, even as they are angered by his actions.
STOP WORRYING ABOUT JOSH!!!!! HE IS THE LAST PERSON WE NEED TO BE CONCERNED WITH!!!

I believe this article, posted by the oldest son who was homeschooled by people who also subscribe to the Quiverfull movement (and went to Liberty, was on my hall and my roommate my first year of grad school), shows the problem about being concerned, first and foremost, about Josh's wellbeing:

http://semiproper.com/josh-duggar-and-t ... mentality/
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Not sure how being 1 of 19 kids makes you famous if your last name is Partridge or Brady
I am pretty sure the kids from the "Partridge Family" and the "Brady Bunch" would all have been considered "Famous" in their day. I chortle audibly.
I meant 'unless'. Oops

But I will add Bradford. Anyone?
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]