This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I think the bigger challenge for LU is going to be as online learning gains wider acceptance among other institutions, can Liberty retain its growth? This I think is the biggest risk in how the university has had the revenues of online students subsidize the growth of the residential program.
Yacht Rock wrote:I think the bigger challenge for LU is going to be as online learning gains wider acceptance among other institutions, can Liberty retain its growth? This I think is the biggest risk in how the university has had the revenues of online students subsidize the growth of the residential program.
I'm sure Jerry Jr. and others are aware of this, and is probably why the university is expanding its real estate portfolio. Once the online growth tempers down, a steady stream of income from businesses paying rent at Candler's Station and others will help to cushion the blow.

Although if Trump becomes the POTUS, I'm sure Jerry Jr.'s close relationship will also help keep Liberty tax exempt for a few years longer.
BuryYourDuke wrote:I'm sure we will change whatever it is we need to in order to keep the gravy train rolling.
The gravy train will NOT keep rolling on. Education is changing and when the state starts utilizing online as a cheaper alternative to on campus offerings, we'll be ducking wind. A high school student in Va can already graduate high school with two years of college under their belt. I just don't see how Liberty offers anything that could set it apart from a broad state program with online classes, especially if the state is pricing their programs accordingly. I think Liberty's cash cow could be its undoing since others see how astronomically profitable they have been.
There are other arrows to dodge here as well, in the forms of Title IX and Obergefell.

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktak ... -ix-waiver
In a letter sent to the National Collegiate Athletic Association on Wednesday, more than 80 lesbian, gay and transgender organizations urged the NCAA to "divest from all religious-based institutions" that discriminate against transgender students. In 2014, the U.S. Department of Education extended Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the civil rights law that prohibits gender discrimination on campuses, to include transgender students. According to the group Campus Pride, more than 50 religious colleges have since requested or received waivers to this part of Title IX so that they can expel or not admit transgender students.
On the upside, Liberty has managed to maintain it success over the past few years when most of our eraly online competitors have been in a total freefall. So the nature of our school seems to be helping us to weather the inevitable online bubble bursting rather well. I do agree that longterm growth will be challenging with state schools going all in. Count me among those who have appreciated the fact that LU has invested in both the residential campus but also in liquidity. Once this incredible run is over we will be much better positioned to compete with long-established state schools. The big question for me is how we compete with folks who are even more nimble than us at adjusting to the types of educational changes that seem to be increasing in their frequency.
LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]