This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
What a sad situation all around. A co-worker has a friend and his family that has to move in with him late last night because of some of this crap.

I never understand situations like this. So sad.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
my friend works for the (used to actually) the dmv for the city of baltimore. he is surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

but its easy to understand on many a few fronts.

on one front, the whole "protest" is more encompassing than just cops killed someone or whatever. I think many get that. Blacks are tired of the way authorities treat them. it’s a semi legitimate beef. however, cop aggression and lack of opportunity isn't a good excuse for the black community outpacing every other community in fatherless children, domestic abuse, and homicide rates. How is that anyone else's fault? ITS ACTUALLY AN ARGUMENT FOR MORE POLICE AGGRESSION AND FORFEIT OF OPPORTUNITY.

that being said, from their perspective, if you are treated like a criminal anyways, whats the use. its a totally "rational" attitude individually. Even their successful brothers and sisters are regularly treated like criminals (see Chris Rock) in their eyes so their is not reason to conform.

add into the fact that culturally diverse societies do not usually tend to succeed historically, it makes some sense. Our natural leanings are to be leary of people we aren't like.
By justagirl
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:my friend works for the (used to actually) the dmv for the city of baltimore. he is surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

but its easy to understand on many a few fronts.

on one front, the whole "protest" is more encompassing than just cops killed someone or whatever. I think many get that. Blacks are tired of the way authorities treat them. it’s a semi legitimate beef. however, cop aggression and lack of opportunity isn't a good excuse for the black community outpacing every other community in fatherless children, domestic abuse, and homicide rates. How is that anyone else's fault? ITS ACTUALLY AN ARGUMENT FOR MORE POLICE AGGRESSION AND FORFEIT OF OPPORTUNITY.

that being said, from their perspective, if you are treated like a criminal anyways, whats the use. its a totally "rational" attitude individually. Even their successful brothers and sisters are regularly treated like criminals (see Chris Rock) in their eyes so their is not reason to conform.

add into the fact that culturally diverse societies do not usually tend to succeed historically, it makes some sense. Our natural leanings are to be leary of people we aren't like.

+1.

I have been really sad to see the response of many of my Christian brothers and sisters calling the rioters animals, thugs, gangsters, etc. It is SO much more than this ONE situation behind these riots and I can't say I don't get it. Sure, rioting and destruction of property is wrong. But had it been your son, father, uncle, brother, cousin, husband, etc....would you not feel the same way? Again, I am not excusing it, but I feel like we need to be mindful when responding and sharing opinions. While some are calling for them to be "locked up, shot, or treated like the animals they are acting like"....I am trying to remember that I personally am thankful for grace In my sin... God is slow to anger, patient, and not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. It's his KINDNESS that draws us to repentance, and I am trying to practice that same kindness and understanding during this time.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
I've been texting with Sj about this and since I know posting this on Facebook would just decay into my friends being idiots I thought I'd leave this here for food for thought. I'm extremely disappointed in both sides of this cop aggression thing. On one side we have the avg suburban white conservatives who have zero clue what the people of Baltimore have gone through over the years and are choosing to remain ignorant by blindly following the party line of support for LEOs. And in their towns maybe that's ok. Maybe their towns don't have officers shooting guys in the back (see South Carolina incident where cop is on trial for murder) on the other side you have the rioters who are (like mallet said) giving the police a reason to use aggression and it's completely detrimental to the cause for change in that city. I don't pretend to understand what it's like to fear police. I live in a town where I wave at cops while legally open carrying a loaded firearm. I can't understand what it's like to fear speaking to an officer the wrong way or dressing the wrong way that might get me shot. But I can try. I can ask questions I can diligently seek information and not allow myself to remain ignorant. I can choose to seek information instead of spreading hate. I can choose think for myself instead of towing the party line. I know good cops who are even better men. I also know cops that probably shouldn't be allowed within arms reach of a loaded weapon.(disclaimer: shortie I believe you are one of the good guys) I think the old boys club of protecting officers just because they are officers is a problem. I don't want to down play what the police do and the purpose they serve. For the most part the police are awesome and protect us and keep our towns safe and they put themselves in harms way to do so. Don't miss that point. But I think it's time for conservative Christians to get off Facebook and Twitter and start praying, educating themselves and understand that this whole thing really is an issue that needs to be dealt with. This is a perfect time for the church to be the church. We are already seeing it some in Baltimore. Unfortunately this isn't covered as well by the media because it doesn't sell. I'll get off my soap box and stand in front of the firing squad now. Have at it.
By justagirl
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:I've been texting with Sj about this and since I know posting this on Facebook would just decay into my friends being idiots I thought I'd leave this here for food for thought. I'm extremely disappointed in both sides of this cop aggression thing. On one side we have the avg suburban white conservatives who have zero clue what the people of Baltimore have gone through over the years and are choosing to remain ignorant by blindly following the party line of support for LEOs. And in their towns maybe that's ok. Maybe their towns don't have officers shooting guys in the back (see South Carolina incident where cop is on trial for murder) on the other side you have the rioters who are (like mallet said) giving the police a reason to use aggression and it's completely detrimental to the cause for change in that city. I don't pretend to understand what it's like to fear police. I live in a town where I wave at cops while legally open carrying a loaded firearm. I can't understand what it's like to fear speaking to an officer the wrong way or dressing the wrong way that might get me shot. But I can try. I can ask questions I can diligently seek information and not allow myself to remain ignorant. I can choose to seek information instead of spreading hate. I can choose think for myself instead of towing the party line. I know good cops who are even better men. I also know cops that probably shouldn't be allowed within arms reach of a loaded weapon.(disclaimer: shortie I believe you are one of the good guys) I think the old boys club of protecting officers just because they are officers is a problem. I don't want to down play what the police do and the purpose they serve. For the most part the police are awesome and protect us and keep our towns safe and they put themselves in harms way to do so. Don't miss that point. But I think it's time for conservative Christians to get off Facebook and Twitter and start praying, educating themselves and understand that this whole thing really is an issue that needs to be dealt with. This is a perfect time for the church to be the church. We are already seeing it some in Baltimore. Unfortunately this isn't covered as well by the media because it doesn't sell. I'll get off my soap box and stand in front of the firing squad now. Have at it.

THANK YOU. this was so well said. I want to copy and paste it everywhere.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:I've been texting with Sj about this and since I know posting this on Facebook would just decay into my friends being idiots I thought I'd leave this here for food for thought. I'm extremely disappointed in both sides of this cop aggression thing. On one side we have the avg suburban white conservatives who have zero clue what the people of Baltimore have gone through over the years and are choosing to remain ignorant by blindly following the party line of support for LEOs. And in their towns maybe that's ok. Maybe their towns don't have officers shooting guys in the back (see South Carolina incident where cop is on trial for murder) on the other side you have the rioters who are (like mallet said) giving the police a reason to use aggression and it's completely detrimental to the cause for change in that city. I don't pretend to understand what it's like to fear police. I live in a town where I wave at cops while legally open carrying a loaded firearm. I can't understand what it's like to fear speaking to an officer the wrong way or dressing the wrong way that might get me shot. But I can try. I can ask questions I can diligently seek information and not allow myself to remain ignorant. I can choose to seek information instead of spreading hate. I can choose think for myself instead of towing the party line. I know good cops who are even better men. I also know cops that probably shouldn't be allowed within arms reach of a loaded weapon.(disclaimer: shortie I believe you are one of the good guys) I think the old boys club of protecting officers just because they are officers is a problem. I don't want to down play what the police do and the purpose they serve. For the most part the police are awesome and protect us and keep our towns safe and they put themselves in harms way to do so. Don't miss that point. But I think it's time for conservative Christians to get off Facebook and Twitter and start praying, educating themselves and understand that this whole thing really is an issue that needs to be dealt with. This is a perfect time for the church to be the church. We are already seeing it some in Baltimore. Unfortunately this isn't covered as well by the media because it doesn't sell. I'll get off my soap box and stand in front of the firing squad now. Have at it.
Who in their right mind could disagree with this post? There isn't much to add.
By JakeP50
Registration Days Posts
From what I've seen and heard Monday night was by far the worst and once Gov. Hogan stepped in and took control of the situation from the worst mayor in Baltimore history things started to calm down. There were a few problems last night but nothing even close to the borderline warzone that replaced Baltimore on Monday night. Local media has done a pretty good job of covering what the churches have been up to and Gov. Hogan has met with city church leaders to discuss what they want to see done in their community.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
With the danger of going down a rabbit trail, isn't it amazing that when the stuff starts to hit the fan that the government turns to religious leaders, even Christian ones at that, for help and guidance? (Props to Rush for bringing this up during my lunch hour today.)
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
When the plane's spiralling down you hear a lot more vocal prayers than when it's taking off. :) I've always enjoyed the irony of that (not personally of course or I wouldnt be typing this right now).

The more I look around the more I think Stephen A. Smith's comment about why do minorities still feel obligated to vote Democrat after seeing decades of the same. I think it actually has a chance to stick and pick up momentum with other minorities with a platform. Someone used a line from MLK on me today on FB defending the destruction. "The riots & violence are the voice of the unheard." I about lost my mind. Nothing worse than using quotes out of context to support your argument.

I'd give anything to see how MLK would have evolved over time to see where we are today. Would he have turned into a Jesse Jackson and Al Shakedown? I don't know...but I like to think he wouldn't and instead of stirring up more problems and agitating and looking for the next dollar he's actually trying to continue to defend the defenseless (regardless of race). Would he have shifted his activism to another ethnic group that needs his voice more than his own? The world may never know but it's interesting to think about...I think there was a time where Jesse Jackson & Al Shakedown meant well...but once you get the rights and treatment you've been fighting for you need to develop a new game plan or else you'll become irrelevant. Which obviously Jesse & Al decided to try to stay relevant.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Once TallyW comes up for air, I hope he drops by and gives us his first-hand insights. It is tough to feel what it is like on the ground when we are seeing primarily shots from choppers floating overhead.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
It was weird watching the O's game on MASN with literally no one in the stands.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Once TallyW comes up for air, I hope he drops by and gives us his first-hand insights. It is tough to feel what it is like on the ground when we are seeing primarily shots from choppers floating overhead.
His sermon from Sunday before the riots started was great.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:It was weird watching the O's game on MASN with literally no one in the stands.
Really fast game, too, considering the number of runs scored.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
remember that the majority of city leaders are african american. there aren't that many white people to freak out about here. HOWEVER, there is an epidemic in america in big cities. factories are gone due to economic forces. (cheaper to build in rural, overseas) these places were once the place where urbanites could find work and provide a living. these places are gone and its very difficult in these places to earn a decent wage. pull yourself up off your bootstraps is a near impossibility in these places. we like to throw that around but you have to be realistic. they are born into this environment, this is their reality. For too long has the gvt just controlled them with gvt assistance, free abortions, and all the other things that makes living this way just tolerable enough.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:remember that the majority of city leaders are african american. there aren't that many white people to freak out about here. HOWEVER, there is an epidemic in america in big cities. factories are gone due to economic forces. (cheaper to build in rural, overseas) these places were once the place where urbanites could find work and provide a living. these places are gone and its very difficult in these places to earn a decent wage. pull yourself up off your bootstraps is a near impossibility in these places. we like to throw that around but you have to be realistic. they are born into this environment, this is their reality. For too long has the gvt just controlled them with gvt assistance, free abortions, and all the other things that makes living this way just tolerable enough.
Burning down what Business do start there doesn't help. Now that CVS was burned do you think Walgreens wants in? Or that CVS will rebuild?

On a new note 6 Indicted for Homicide
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:remember that the majority of city leaders are african american. there aren't that many white people to freak out about here. HOWEVER, there is an epidemic in america in big cities. factories are gone due to economic forces. (cheaper to build in rural, overseas) these places were once the place where urbanites could find work and provide a living. these places are gone and its very difficult in these places to earn a decent wage. pull yourself up off your bootstraps is a near impossibility in these places. we like to throw that around but you have to be realistic. they are born into this environment, this is their reality. For too long has the gvt just controlled them with gvt assistance, free abortions, and all the other things that makes living this way just tolerable enough.
That last part is VERY true. I have seen quite a bit of it in my public service career.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Most of the people in these areas don't want to move out. They often view people that do escape as a traitor of sorts. And if for some reason, an individual from that area happens to adopt even SOME of the philosophies carried by conservatives they are labeled as uncle tom's...

Another question - why am I, as a white conservative being blamed for being ignorant here? I think it was ffg that said it... but seriously? I fit that descriptor as a white conservative, but guess what? I worked at a school that was majority minority and pulled from some of the rougher parts of the city I lived in. I dealt with kids living in similar situations on a daily basis, and you're right... they live in a totally different reality. But, most of the issues in these areas don't stem from anything necessarily caused by government policy, or people of other races in general... Just look at the statistics within that community. The majority of kids are born to single mothers and have a father that could care less about the responsibility that title SHOULD carry. More than 50% of the kids in that area are CHRONICALLY ABSENT from school. On top of that, they spend about $17k per head on education in that city, so you can't say it's a lack of funding. Finally, more than half the people in that part of town are unemployed. Now I'll buy your arguments about there not being enough opportunity... but seriously, how does burning down buildings because someone got killed by a cop going to encourage private investment and entrepreneurship? The issue here is the underlying culture that has grabbed ahold of these areas and is in-grained in the young from the time they are born. Now... you're right. We as Christians should be pouring into these areas and spending our time trying to build bridges and show them there is a better way forward. But, after viewing some of the videos, can you really blame people for not going into these areas?
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Burning down what Business do start there doesn't help. Now that CVS was burned do you think Walgreens wants in? Or that CVS will rebuild?

On a new note 6 Indicted for Homicide
my comments encompass the thousands of protesters not just the few hundred who had been destructive.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote: Most of the people in these areas don't want to move out. They often view people that do escape as a traitor of sorts. And if for some reason, an individual from that area happens to adopt even SOME of the philosophies carried by conservatives they are labeled as uncle tom's...
this is untrue and mostly movie fodder. some may have those inclinations but they are certainly not the majority. There opportunity outlook is bleak and so people that do "make" it are at times seen to have sold their community out in one way shape or form. People are skeptical but that’s different than "don't want to have success." you think children don't want hope? you think parents don't want their kids to have opportunity? Grandparents? Many community leaders?

Our area is far from a large city scape but we are at minor metropolitan area where I grew up. My district was smack dab in the middle of these communities. I still see and work with them today.

Humble_Opinion wrote: Another question - why am I, as a white conservative being blamed for being ignorant here? I think it was ffg that said it... but seriously? I fit that descriptor as a white conservative, but guess what? I worked at a school that was majority minority and pulled from some of the rougher parts of the city I lived in. I dealt with kids living in similar situations on a daily basis, and you're right... they live in a totally different reality. But, most of the issues in these areas don't stem from anything necessarily caused by government policy, or people of other races in general... Just look at the statistics within that community. The majority of kids are born to single mothers and have a father that could care less about the responsibility that title SHOULD carry. More than 50% of the kids in that area are CHRONICALLY ABSENT from school. On top of that, they spend about $17k per head on education in that city, so you can't say it's a lack of funding. Finally, more than half the people in that part of town are unemployed. Now I'll buy your arguments about there not being enough opportunity... but seriously, how does burning down buildings because someone got killed by a cop going to encourage private investment and entrepreneurship? The issue here is the underlying culture that has grabbed ahold of these areas and is in-grained in the young from the time they are born. Now... you're right. We as Christians should be pouring into these areas and spending our time trying to build bridges and show them there is a better way forward. But, after viewing some of the videos, can you really blame people for not going into these areas?
Sorry, i grew up poor too but i can certainly see where my white skin got me opportunities my black counterparts would not ever get. I would love to tell you i worked hard did everything i could to change my situation but i can't. it was relatively easy. where i saw my african american friends struggle to just get to go to community college. your focus on a few hundred hoodlums is basically the reason why the media today is atrocious.

There are cultural differences...most definitely. broken homes, murder, all those things should be laid at the feet of those communities. They have to get better. but that comes with opportunity. real ones. I don't know how to make that happen. but you have to start somewhere. We can't keep telling people they need to change but offering no real help.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
They're planning protests in Dallas this evening. My office is closing early as a result.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:More unarmed white people are shot by cops every year than unarmed black people
What's your point? There are about 5 times as many white people in the U.S. as there are black people.
Election 2022 and 2024

The swing states will decide the election just l[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]