This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

In my opinion, he is one of the greatest vocalists in rock history. When you listen to his solo albums and the blues that he sang, his range was so incredible. But also, when you listen to his songs, he was a man with no hope. Really sad.
ALUmnus wrote:In my opinion, he is one of the greatest vocalists in rock history. When you listen to his solo albums and the blues that he sang, his range was so incredible. But also, when you listen to his songs, he was a man with no hope. Really sad.
Grunge wasn't exactly a happy go lucky feel good Genre.
Purple Haize wrote:
ALUmnus wrote:In my opinion, he is one of the greatest vocalists in rock history. When you listen to his solo albums and the blues that he sang, his range was so incredible. But also, when you listen to his songs, he was a man with no hope. Really sad.
Right, but his solo stuff wasn't grunge.

It's getting to the point that you can count on one hand the number of front-men from that scene that are still alive. Someone check on Eddie Vedder, please.
ALUmnus wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Right, but his solo stuff wasn't grunge.

It's getting to the point that you can count on one hand the number of front-men from that scene that are still alive. Someone check on Eddie Vedder, please.
He was last spotted on stage with Bono

[youtube]Az9ZeJl8nHQ[/youtube]
Tonite was Michael Sweet (lead singer of Stryper) at Phase 2 in Lynchburg. This is the first concert I've almost felt embarrassed for the artist. The VIP section of about 35 was sold out but GA was only about 60. Wow. Also, no one seemed to prep him about how polite Central VA audiences are. Despite all that he did a fine job. For starters he still has his pipes! WOW Was really impressed. Could hit all the notes. Good blend of his solo stuff and Stryper stuff. Also a really genuine guy. Is staying after to sign any merchandise purchased and take pictures and chat. Pretty neat. Talked with his manager about bringing Stryper here and said it would be best when LU was in session and maybe get him to speak in comvo. (She said 'what is LU?'). But he mentioned it during the show so that could be cool next year when they tour

Next up- Possible Journey/Asia in Greensboro depending on Mrs Purple health. And I'll probably catch Michael Sweet again next week when we are both in Hickory NC
So Mrs Purple sucked it up and off we went to Asia/Journey in Greensboro.
Let me say one of my big take always, and not just because I'm on a kick, but it makes me appreciate the fact that Michael Sweet can still hit the notes.
Asia was fine. A LOT of latitude must be given since John Weston (lead singer) died in late January so this configuration has only been together a few months. Musically they were solid. I kicked myself for forgetting Carl Palmer was on drums. He's probably the 2nd best I've seen live. Vocally....bless his heart. Billy Sherwood did his best. Had the lyrics on his iPad and hit about 75% of the notes. I like Asia so I was OK with it and took it for what it was.
Journey was Journey. Still amazed the lead singer was found via YouTube. He hit most of the notes, but he's a bouncy fellow and kept the audience engaged. Sounds just like Steve Perry, who was lead singer for less time than this guy. Only complaint is that at times it felt like Neal Schon featuring Journey show. The man does love a guitar solo.

Next up:
Michael Sweet in Hickory tomorrow night (he'll be there, I'll be there so why not)
Then the big one next week
U2 in DC
TONIGHT is the Big One!!! U2 in DC at FedEx Field. Tickets in our section are going for $1100-$1200 apiece. The fan club membership paid for itself. 30th Anniversary Joshua Tree tour. Bunch of my friends have already been and loved it. Can't wait!
thepostman wrote:Have fun!
Will do. Staying in NoMa tonight. Never been to that part of town. Hitting the zoo tomorrow.
ANY U2 show is absolutely amazing. Playing The Joshua Tree was actually something I predicted during their 360 Tour. It's one of the most iconic albums of all time. Bono and the boys delivered on every song. I'm personally a fan of 'Side 2' of the album so it was awesome to hear Trip Through Your Wires and In Gods Country live. I did feel as though I needed a bit of acid listening to Exit however. The backdrop to the stage was just visually stunning really added to the show as opposed to becoming the show in other concerts
I was disappointed in the preaching. I mean I know it's Bono and U2 and he does what he does. But he really brought the crowd down after Mothers of the Disappeared, which isn't exactly a feel good hit. He kept saying that everyone was welcomed at the show then took less then subtle jabs at Conservatives. He did meet a smattering of boos at a cowboy video where they talked about a wall. He just harped on Refugee day too much. So instead of leaving the concert completely spent and exhausted you felt sorta bummed. They did end with serious high energy Vertigo but you were so down in the feelz it just made you break even emotionally
Now I LOVED the Innocence shows in NYC. The stage was its own show. The songs were well paced and spread out. I'd give this show a 9 and the NYC shows a 10 plus.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
My brother and I went to the Foo Fighters show in Greensboro last night. They always bring it and last night was no exception. They hit the stage at 8:50 and left at 11:40. We were on the floor which means I’m tired and sore this morning. I feel so old.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/foo-figh ... 3e2f8.html
adam42381 wrote:My brother and I went to the Foo Fighters show in Greensboro last night. They always bring it and last night was no exception. They hit the stage at 8:50 and left at 11:40. We were on the floor which means I’m tired and sore this morning. I feel so old.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/foo-figh ... 3e2f8.html
Nice. They seem to be making a resurgence. I’ve had a couple of friends who have seen their shows recently. They had the same reaction as you, they loved it! I’m not a big fan, I saw them back when they opened for the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Rock on!

We really don’t have anything much on the calendar the rest of the year. I’m going to the Otherwise concert (with Red and someone else) at Phase 2 next Friday and I think that’s it for the year. I think our concert tours are winding down
ballcoach15 wrote:Best concert ever was "Alabama" when they were in their prime back in mid 80s.
Best concerts Mrs Purple and I went to we’re U2 at Madison Square Garden (both were a tie) and The Police at Wrigley Field. (And now EVERYONE just sang Rooooxannne )
This thread is getting old. But it’s going to be an active concert season.

Dokken was on the 16th at Phase 2. Good place for a concert.

Styx and REO Speedwagon in Charlottesville April 4

Steely Dan and Doobie Brothers Raleigh May 11 (possibly)

U2 NYC June 24 and Maybe 25. Favorite band so Politics be damned

Billy Joel Winston Salem October 13

Metallica Charlotte October 22

I’m sure I’m missing a few here or there. Looking forward to the Iron Maiden Tour. Phase 2 seems to be getting some acts that I’m interested in seeing and they don’t charge an arm and a leg (although I get the VIP tickets ha)
i want to see starset but i don't for the life of me want anything to do with five finger death punch and shinedown.

so my guy that works there is like, i can get you in to just see starset if you want. so i got that going for me.
RubberMallet wrote:i want to see starset but i don't for the life of me want anything to do with five finger death punch and shinedown.

so my guy that works there is like, i can get you in to just see starset if you want. so i got that going for me.
5 Finger is bringing there show I think to Roanoke. I was contemplating that
Greta Van Fleet will be in Floyd VA on July 27 at "Floydfest". One of the few dates on their current tour not sold out yet. I posted a link on how they got their name by taking the n out of Gretna in one of the softball threads.

http://floydfest.com/lineup/

For those who don't know, the band is 3 brothers from a small town in Michigan and their best friend, and they just played Coachella and brought down the house. In a recent interview, Robert Plant gave serious props to the band and their "beautiful little singer" (Josh Kiszka, who sounds a lot like him). Josh and his twin brother Jake on guitar (being compared to Jimmy Page) are 22 and little brother Sam on bass/keyboards and drummer Danny Wagner are 19. They really do sound a lot like Led Zeppelin, but they grew up listening to their dad's huge collection of blues on vinyl, which was pretty much how LZ got their sound, and they write all their own songs.

If I were still in the burg, I would be going to this one. I think they are going to be huge, and would love to catch them before they get jaded.
Interesting.
Right now the Doobie Brothers/Steely Dan Show has been taken off our calendar this Friday
Geoff Tate and U2 (separately ha) are still on for June.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]