This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

the Medic clan starts our summer concert series next week

first up: Foo Fighters (with Royal Blood) in Camden

next: ZZ Ward at Union Transfer in Philly

after that: ZZ Top at Music Fest, Bethlehem

then: Rock Allegience at PPL Park in Chester- CANNOT WAIT http://rockallegiance.com/lineup/
are you kidding me with that lineup???
PAmedic wrote:the Medic clan starts our summer concert series next week

first up: Foo Fighters (with Royal Blood) in Camden

next: ZZ Ward at Union Transfer in Philly

after that: ZZ Top at Music Fest, Bethlehem

then: Rock Allegience at PPL Park in Chester- CANNOT WAIT http://rockallegiance.com/lineup/
are you kidding me with that lineup???
Foo Fighters and ZZ Top put on a good show.

The other stuff isn't really my style but I will say this, I ran into Rob Zombie a few times over the years and he's a pretty nice guy.
Yeah we try to see zz top whenever they come thru. Always a great show.

This chick zz ward is awesome too. Just got into her: blues/jazz/country hippie chick stuff. A first for me. Great voice tho.

That Rock allegiance show is gonna be friggin epic
ZZ Top ranks 5 out of the 5 shows we have seen this year. Granted one of them was sick so I'll give them a pass

We just went to The Big Concert with Tesla/Styx/Def Leppard. Very solid show. Tesla was a very please t surprise. I liked them a lot back in the day and it was great to see that they could all hit the same notes. It was the 4th time we'd seen Styx and they always entertain. However this time they seemed very rushed to get thru their set. Based on the age of most of the acts we've seen based on age Def Leppard was akin to a 'Boy Band' with the oldest member only 57! Very well produced show. Solid crowd interaction. Based on reviews from a previous tour I was expecting the lead singer to be brutal. But they took a page out of Fleetwood Macs playbook and lowered everything about an octave so he could nail the notes. Very disappointed in the people behind me. I gave out a nice holler for Bringing On The Heartbreak and they asked me if it was off their new album! I asked them to leave the music pavilion. I know several people who love Def Leppard and catch as many shows as they can. I liked it but don't get it. They are very well produced and seem to have a good time but don't get the devotion. Oh well.
On a sidebar after the concert we drove from Jiffy Lube Live to Fremont IN. Yeah, I did that. No need to do that again. Got there just in time for breakfast!

Next up: The highlight of our tour season U2 in Madison Square Garden!!!!!!

Also it looks like we will be adding Crue/Cooper to our agenda in August. Mrs Purple missed the opening show last year.
We went to see LOVERBOY at the big festival in Ft Wayne Friday......

Did I mention we are seeing U2 next Saturday in New York
Forgot to mention the Stones show a couple weeks ago. It was great as expected. The Avett Brothers, while not really my thing, were solid. I think my wife fell in love with one of them, so there's that.
adam42381 wrote:Forgot to mention the Stones show a couple weeks ago. It was great as expected. The Avett Brothers, while not really my thing, were solid. I think my wife fell in love with one of them, so there's that.
Ha!
I get ridiculed for my apathy towards seeing the Stones live but it is what it is. I like their music but I don't have a desire to see Mick preen around on stage. I prefer The Who and Led Zepplin, who may or may not be touring soon with Sammy Hagar as the lead singer.....
Purple Haize wrote:
adam42381 wrote:Forgot to mention the Stones show a couple weeks ago. It was great as expected. The Avett Brothers, while not really my thing, were solid. I think my wife fell in love with one of them, so there's that.
Ha!
I get ridiculed for my apathy towards seeing the Stones live but it is what it is. I like their music but I don't have a desire to see Mick preen around on stage. I prefer The Who and Led Zepplin, who may or may not be touring soon with Sammy Hagar as the lead singer.....
I'd pay a whole lotta money to see Led Zeppelin with Plant, Page, Jones and Bonham/Grohl/Anyone on drums. Them and Pink Floyd with all three of Waters, Gilmour and Mason.
I get the feeling that Plant is enjoying retirement in Austin. But money can motivate just about anyone ot get back out on the road.

The idea of the red rocker singing lead for Zep is actually more intriguing the more I think about it after initially sounding practically sacreligious.
Sly Fox wrote:I get the feeling that Plant is enjoying retirement in Austin. But money can motivate just about anyone ot get back out on the road.

The idea of the red rocker singing lead for Zep is actually more intriguing the more I think about it after initially sounding practically sacreligious.
I was the same way. But the more I think about it the more it seems like a fit

I can't remember if it was Plant or Page who walked off during reherals for a follow up four to the Celebration one off. I have read Plant doesn't want to tour because he can't hit those notes anymore. Can't blame him for pride of authorship and respect him for it. But I think Sammy could hit them
Purple Haize wrote:
Ha!
Sammy Hagar..."I Can't Drive 55"
corey taylor did an acoustic set locally at a small bar. i had a commitment that kept me from going. Heard it was awesome.
Sly Fox wrote:I get the feeling that Plant is enjoying retirement in Austin. But money can motivate just about anyone ot get back out on the road.
Plant definitely hasn't retired and has been touring extensively. He's touring Europe right now. Also, he no longer lives in Texas.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/daily-post/ ... time-texan
U2 - Innocence and Experience

Gentlemen, and what few ladies and PA, the Magical Music Tour has come to a halt. Why you ask? Easy. We just saw the best concert we have ever attended! Since we don't feel it fair to have such disparity we are going back again tonite so there will have to be a close 2nd!
That's right this U2 tour is amazing!! I like their new album a lot, and they played 4 or 5 off of it. BUT they went deep with Electric Co, I will Follow and October. I know there's a complaint out there about them relying on too much technology to over come stage short comings. While I disagree with that, those people would LOVE the first hour of the show. Very limited use of video technology and just Bono and the Boys doing what they do best. But when they do break out the technology it's doesn't fail to impress. It's very interactive with the band as opposed to being overwhelming, which it can be, but isn't. I can't describe it you just have to see it.
I know I'm a huge fan but my unscientific poll shows I'm not alone. Talked with folks at the hotel, a couple who weren't fans before but are now. If you get a chance GO. They change the set list every show so you should probably go twice to get the whole 'experience' (see what I did there?)

BTW vids on my FB. And did I mention Bullet The Blue Sky song via bull horn!
They are one of the few left on my bucket list to see. Everyone that I know that has seen them said pretty much the same thing you did. I'm glad their still playing their old stuff because that was one my concerns seeing them now especially with how much the ticket prices are.
jack_sparrow81 wrote:They are one of the few left on my bucket list to see. Everyone that I know that has seen them said pretty much the same thing you did. I'm glad their still playing their old stuff because that was one my concerns seeing them now especially with how much the ticket prices are.
Yeah, you gotta go. Last night was just as good as the night before. As promised they mixed some songs around so you got to hear some different stuff. For instance, they played Gloria, Pride, Bad and some others. I think they played 7 songs off the new album last night, so there is plenty of new stuff but I really like the new album.
Tickets aren't cheap that is true, however night 2 took the place of a Broadway show and we got a night comped at the hotel so it still worked into the budget!
As Motley Crüe says 'All Bad Things Must Come to an End'. So started our 2nd to last concert (for now) of the Season. My 2nd viewing of Cooper/Crue on Motleys farewell tour.
Alice Cooper puts on an amazing and fun show. For 67 years old he still does it well and does it right. I'd love to see a KISS/Cooper show. Very similar. I would and will definitely check him out again if the opportunity arises. Mrs Purple laughed at the Frankenstien section and sang her retired heart out with Schools Out! . His female lead guitar player, Nita Strauss is really really good (and easy on the eyes). When I watch her I think that it's true that females have to be twice as good to get the job. She has the whole package, stage presence and skills. Alice plays all the favorites and I just substituted my age for 18 and I Like It. Plus, it's good to get out and support Christian artists!
As for Crue. I like the Grand Rapids show better. It had a lot more technical difficulties but it seemed to make them more 'real'. The stage show and volume were excellent. I have now idea how Mick Mars is still upright let alone on tour. He is very difficult to watch but I have mad respect for him doing what he's doing despite his illness. Tommy Lee is Tommy Lee. Nice roller coaster drum solo. Nikki Sixx may be the most under rated musician and entertainer around. Despite his over use of the F bomb (you know it's bad if I notice) he really appreciates the audience. He works twice as hard on stage to make up for what Mick can't and it works. As for Vince, well, it is their last tour
I did get high fives from Vince and Tommy Lee. I told my wife I would never wash my hands again.....then I realized who they were and asked to be taken for a tetnis and penicillin shot!

Next Up: The Who
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
forgot to mention we saw ZZ TOP last month... great show as always- they may be old as dirt but still the coolest old dudes you ever saw.

they did a neat set with stuff I like, including I'm Bad- I'm Nationwide, Pincushion, Chartreuse, and even covered Hendrix's Foxy Lady

wish they woulda played a little longer but it is what it is... probably the last time we'll get to see them.
PAmedic wrote:forgot to mention we saw ZZ TOP last month... great show as always- they may be old as dirt but still the coolest old dudes you ever saw.

they did a neat set with stuff I like, including I'm Bad- I'm Nationwide, Pincushion, Chartreuse, and even covered Hendrix's Foxy Lady

wish they woulda played a little longer but it is what it is... probably the last time we'll get to see them.
Their set was short when they played Roanoke earlier this year. I thought it was just because one of them wasn't feeling well. Must be there thing.
Purple Haize wrote:
PAmedic wrote:forgot to mention we saw ZZ TOP last month... great show as always- they may be old as dirt but still the coolest old dudes you ever saw.

Their set was short when they played Roanoke earlier this year. I thought it was just because one of them wasn't feeling well. Must be there thing.
I saw them about 10 years ago and they played a long set. But hey, 10 years puts a lot of miles on an aging rock musician. I should know.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Just got back from seeing Buddy Guy and he put on a great show. The man can still play the heck out of the guitar. He's a profane and dirty old bluesman and we enjoyed every minute of it.
adam42381 wrote:Just got back from seeing Buddy Guy and he put on a great show. The man can still play the heck out of the guitar. He's a profane and dirty old bluesman and we enjoyed every minute of it.
That sounds like a good show!

The Who got postponed so for all intents and purposes my tour is ending. I may go see a small band with a buddy tonite, OTHERWISE, but my tour could be done for the year
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
so...

I can't even describe how friggin phenomenal Rock Allegiance was.

got to see most of the acts below - the last 4 were on a different stage

Rob Zombie
Korn
Godsmack
Five Finger Death Punch
Papa Roach
Bring Me The Horizon
Atreyu
Pop Evil
In This Moment
From Ashes to New
Devour the Day