This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
alabama24 wrote:Bought a ticket for ALABAMA & Oak Ridge Boys at the Salem Civic Center.
Why? :lol:
ALABAMA is the best band of all time... Or at least one of them. :lol:
ALABAMA is best band of all time. No debate needed.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:I believe you are in a state of denial.
At least we can all agree that Led Zepplin isn’t a balloon
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
In 1976 I went to Cap Center in Landover, Maryland to get tickets to a NBA game. Somehow I got tickets to a Led Zepplin concert instead. Lucky I caught mistake before game day, and went back and exchanged tix.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:In 1976 I went to Cap Center in Landover, Maryland to get tickets to a NBA game. Somehow I got tickets to a Led Zepplin concert instead. Lucky I caught mistake before game day, and went back and exchanged tix.
Must have been 1977. Also, you missed a heck of show.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/led-zepp ... 60353.html
MWS was good. Mrs Purple enjoyed it immensely. He had a lady who was on American Idol awhile ago (I guess. He said so). MAN. What a voice!
The renovated Fine Arts Theater thingy was pretty cool. Nice venue. Not a bad seat in the floor or first balcony.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:MWS was good. Mrs Purple enjoyed it immensely. He had a lady who was on American Idol awhile ago (I guess. He said so). MAN. What a voice!
The renovated Fine Arts Theater thingy was pretty cool. Nice venue. Not a bad seat in the floor or first balcony.
Would have gone if my wife wasn't working. Was equally interested in the concert and just seeing the venue. I think it could be a real game changer for downtown. Was there a good crowd? I didn't hear a single word of promotion, but maybe I don't move in the right circles.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:MWS was good. Mrs Purple enjoyed it immensely. He had a lady who was on American Idol awhile ago (I guess. He said so). MAN. What a voice!
Would have gone if my wife wasn't working. Was equally interested in the concert and just seeing the venue. I think it could be a real game changer for downtown. Was there a good crowd? I didn't hear a single word of promotion, but maybe I don't move in the right circles.
I commented that had I not known about it I wouldn’t have known about it. About 90% full and all VIP Packages sold. So that is a success I would think.
There are some growing pains but they apparently have come a long way in just 3 shows. They’ve put bids in for a couple of shows I’d be interested in attending Dinner package included Meet and Greet and dinner at Jimmy on the James
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: I didn't hear a single word of promotion, but maybe I don't move in the right circles.
It is my understanding that the concert was not sponsored by the Academy. Is that right Haize?
alabama24 wrote:
rogers3 wrote: I didn't hear a single word of promotion, but maybe I don't move in the right circles.
It is my understanding that the concert was not sponsored by the Academy. Is that right Haize?
That is correct. Just the use of the facilities.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple, since you were inside the academy, can you give us a review of the facility? I'd love to hear what you thought of the place.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
My company spent time there this summer doing work; I was impressed by what I saw. From a technical perspective, there aren't any facilities close by that touch it. Certainly not a monstrous venue, but it could be a real draw for entertainers. I put my request in with the center director- James Taylor with an acoustic performance- and he said that was not out of reach. There are two bays for semis, so I'm sure that they planned for some good sized shows. Between this and LU's performance hall, Lynchburg has some top-notch venues.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Any idea how many people the Academy holds? I did a Google search for it and felt about as lost as Ballcoach. :oldhag :frustrated :banghead
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:
alabama24 wrote:
ALABAMA is the best band of all time... Or at least one of them. :lol:
ALABAMA is best band of all time. No debate needed.
Just wanted to throw my $.02 in here. I agree ALABAMA is best band of all time. They are my favorites. I know every word to every song, even the Christmas albums. This time of year, Thistlehair gets me!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Any idea how many people the Academy holds? I did a Google search for it and felt about as lost as Ballcoach. :oldhag :frustrated :banghead
It’s been a whirlwind couple of days. I believe I was told capacity for the place is 850 We sat in the Orchestra pit so you can squeeze more people in there. They are being pretty aggressive in who they are attempting to get. I could see James Taylor being an option. There are a lot of acts that fall in that seating capacity
As for the venue itself we had VIP tickets so we weren’t with the unwashed masses (and I say that in all humility Cider :D ) in the lobby area etc. But it looked great inside. Had 6 or 8 opera boxes on the side and acoustics were fantastic. Which shouldn’t be surprising since it was built a long time ago I would try to avoid sitting at the very top balcony because it looked cramped and steep. But anywhere else is great!
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
The Paramount in Charlottesville draws quite a few perfomers; apparently, many acts have sets for smaller venues. Saw JT at the JPJ arena, but he also will play acoustic sets. I saw Johnnyswim at the Paramount and would like to see them at the Academy; doubt if they'll ever go back to LU.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Look up Christmas in Dixie on YouTube and play it. If it doesn't bring a tear to your eyes, you may not have a heart.

Merry Christmas to you also.
If tears of boredom count I have a heart the size of Texas
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]