This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
It's never too early to plan if you are a dedicated concert goer.

Every possible Wrenn Magnum show I can catch in town
U2 in NYC
The Who 50th in DC
AC/DC assuming everyone is out of jail
Fleetwood Mac in Charlottesville possibly Greensboro
ZZ Top in Roanoke
I'm sure we will find a Foreigner and or STYX show nearby
Iron Maiden is on my wish list
RUSH will be touring I'm sure.

Plus, I'm sure there will be one or two pop up that are surprises. I'm torn about John Cougar for instance. Anyone else?
ATrain wrote:Maroon 5 in February
TSO in December

You should go see John Cougar...do it!!!!
He is a fellow Hoosier, I'm sure we probably will

I KNOW I won't be going to any Howard Jones/Thompson Twins shows in Metro Dallas by myself :mrgreen:
NotAJerry wrote:You need to work in seeing the Avett Brothers live if you haven't. The most kinetic/frenetic live show I've ever seen without any of the tricks that others need to keep your attention.
You never know, they could be an opening band for one of the groups
PAmedic wrote:please provide video evidence
This is the best I can do. It doesn't start out like a song that's going to end with monster guitar solo but it's close. I would also double it and that will give you a sense live. Here's the deal by the time I realized the awesomeness of the moment I was so mesmerized that I didn't even think about grabbing a vid

[youtube]
[/youtube]
None of which takes away from the awesomeness of the guitar solo at the end. Yep, not as good as last night but I'm still going.....Lindsey Buckingham?......Really?.......Who knew?

Sly bearded boys from the Lone Star State are going to have to bring it to impress next week.
R40

So last night was RUSH on what is rumored to be their last big tour. I will start by saying my old bones are not use to road trips ending at 330 am!!
The concert was ok. They started with their newest stuff and then worked backwards through their catalogue. They played a lot of their instrumental stuff (Main Monkey Business and YYZ my favorite). Tom Sayer still is amazing and the crowd really got into it. Check my FB for the vid. Loved the South Park intro. This is a concert for true die hard RUSH fans. They dug deep into their catalogue, seriously, they didn't even play Limelight. But after 40 years of great musicianship, they have earned the right to play whatever they want. While I enjoyed the concert I enjoyed their 2010 Clockwork Angels Tour better when they played Moving Pictures in its entirety.

On a side note this is my 3rd concert at Jiffy Lube Ampitheater in Bristow. They first 2 times we had VIP parking and let me tell you it is the way to go. Last night it took us 1 hour and 45 minutes just to leave the parking lot. Then with construction it took us another 30 minutes to get onto 29. I thought traffic management at Winston-Salem was awful....

Extra Credit : List all of RUSH Top 40 hits
Purple, I had friends who saw Rush TWICE last week: once in NC and again in Bristow, VA. And they are both old guys like you. :oldhag
Cider Jim wrote:Purple, I had friends who saw Rush TWICE last week: once in NC and again in Bristow, VA. And they are both old guys like you. :oldhag
M
My original thought was to see them in Greensboro but had a scheduling conflict. You may want to check on your friends. It possible they are still stuck in the Jiffy Lube parking area!
adam42381 wrote:We're seeing the Stones in Raleigh this summer. Early reviews of the tour have been great.
I don't know what it is, but I've never had a desire to see The Stones. Odd, I know

Next up is John Mellencamp in Roanoke then Tribute to Rock in Lynchburg
Purple Haize wrote:
adam42381 wrote:We're seeing the Stones in Raleigh this summer. Early reviews of the tour have been great.
I don't know what it is, but I've never had a desire to see The Stones. Odd, I know

I've seen them twice before and they put on a great show both times. First time was in DC in 2001 then again in Durham in 2005.
adam42381 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

I've seen them twice before and they put on a great show both times. First time was in DC in 2001 then again in Durham in 2005.
I have heard they put on a really good gig. It's just one of those quirky things about my music tastes. I mean I SHOULD want to see them, but I don't. I feel the same way about Clapton bit that's another story!
Purple Haize wrote:I have heard they put on a really good gig. It's just one of those quirky things about my music tastes. I mean I SHOULD want to see them, but I don't. I feel the same way about Clapton bit that's another story!
I'm a big Stones fan, so I'll always see them if they come around. I respect Clapton's playing and the work he did with Cream, but I think he became incredibly lazy early in his solo career and never really recovered.
John Mellencamp

Color me wowed. Maybe it was just the type of concert I was in the mood for but it was really good. I mean I knew it wouldn't suck, but I wasn't expecting what I got. Very bluesy with a wide variety of music. The first 2 songs were of his new album and they sounded great live. He played some of the classics, but mixed them well with the other stuff. I think he only sang a dozen words to Jack and Diane....the crowd handled it. His bass player was really into it and his 2nd lead guitar was silky smooth. The only draw back were 2 sets of drunken idiots. It got to the point where Mellencamp called them out from the stage and too them to knock it off.
I have been criticized for saying I've never been to a bad concert. While this may or may not be true, I think It has a lot to do with the types of bands/musicians I see. Definitely in the top half of concerts I've seen. If you have a chance go see him.

Next up: Tribute to Rock in Lynchburg. I have a tent for the tribute artists to Journey, The Eagles and AC/DC. Tix are $20 so if you are around I recommend it
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]