This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

adam42381 wrote:Thinking about driving down to Charlotte next Thursday to see Slayer with Lamb of God, Anthrax, Behemoth and Testament. Not a huge thrash metal fan, but I’ll probably grab a lawn ticket and drive down anyway.
Picked up a lawn seat for $13 including fees and free parking! Testament was great. Lamb of God and, especially, Behemoth aren’t my thing. Anthrax was good. Slayer is currently killing it!
Yacht Rock wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:And Tommy Shaw had laryngitis but still performed. Dudes a gamer
Call me when him and Nugent get together for a D A M N Yankees tour.
Right after I get my tickets you’ll be the person I call. When Uncle Ted Toured with Styx and REO a few years ago I thought they’d get together and do some tunes. But alas no....
Purple Haize wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:And Tommy Shaw had laryngitis but still performed. Dudes a gamer
Call me when him and Nugent get together for a D A M N Yankees tour.
Right after I get my tickets you’ll be the person I call. When Uncle Ted Toured with Styx and REO a few years ago I thought they’d get together and do some tunes. But alas no....
Maybe if it was a Ted/Styx/Night Ranger tour, that way Jack Blades would be there.
oldflame wrote:Styx is an equal opportunity touring partner. They are also doing dates with REO Speedwagon and Don Felder.
Yeah. Mrs Purple and I saw that one a month or so ago. It actually fit better together But again they do put on a great show. They have also opened up for Def Leppard
Purple Haize wrote:
oldflame wrote:Styx is an equal opportunity touring partner. They are also doing dates with REO Speedwagon and Don Felder.
Yeah. Mrs Purple and I saw that one a month or so ago. It actually fit better together But again they do put on a great show. They have also opened up for Def Leppard
What did you think of Felder´s set? I´m a big Eagles fan. ¨Hardass Henley¨ needs to ¨get over it¨ and do a tour with Felder and Walsh on guitar again while they can still do it. Both are 70 and still have the chops.
oldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
What did you think of Felder´s set? I´m a big Eagles fan. ¨Hardass Henley¨ needs to ¨get over it¨ and do a tour with Felder and Walsh on guitar again while they can still do it. Both are 70 and still have the chops.
I’ve seen Felder (twice ) and the Eagles. This last time I couldn’t tell the difference between Felder doing his thing and Eagles doing theirs. Except the ticket prices Obviously didn’t play any of the Henley or Walsh solo stuff but all the Greatest Hits from the Eagles (and his own Heavy Metal). I’d see him again in a heartbeat
I could talk about the Eagles til you all got sick of it (I understand that wouldn´t take long for some). If they play their cards right, they can probably make a lot of money and entertain a boatload of people for several more years with the old-timers, and then possibly transition to a new era with Deacon Frey at the helm. The latter part depends on whether Deacon inherited a fraction of his dad´s ability as a writer. He seems to be doing pretty well with the singing and picking part. My 2 cents on how to make that happen:

Say goodbye to Vince Gill with heartfelt thanks for helping them through a tough time after Glenn´s passing. Time for him to go back to being Vince Gill, which ain´t so bad.

Give Timothy Schmidt the option of staying on and just playing bass or retiring. Singing the high parts for all those concerts is tough enough for anyone. 70 years and a bout with throat cancer have taken their toll on his once-angelic voice. Listening to him struggle on ¨I Can´t tell you Why¨ is almost painful, and even his harmony singing is not what it used to be.

Cut way back on Henley´s drumming (they already have some) and let someone else take the lead vocals on a couple of his songs. He can still sing a soulful ballad like Desperado or Wasted Time almost as well as ever, but Hotel California (which is surprisingly tough to sing because it´s so high all the way through) is another matter.

Let Joe be Joe. He´s a freak of nature. A septigenarian who is playing as well as ever, and after trying to drink, drug and carrouse himself to death for 30 years, with 20 years of sobriety may now actually be singing BETTER. He has been the most popular member of the group for years for a bunch of reasons.

Hand the baton to Deacon Frey. With Gill gone, he would be able to sing all the songs his dad used to, and stretch his guitar skills as well. Hopefully he also has a new song or 20 in him.

Bring back Don Felder. Nothing against Steuart Smith, who is a virtuoso axe man, but it´s just not the same. Huge bonus to this is he could bring Joe Coffey (former Chicago singer) from his current band with him, who could take over high harmony duties and sings ¨Take it to the Limit¨ better than anyone since Randy Meisner. He also plays bass, so he could do that as well if Timmy decided to hang it up.
oldflame wrote:I could talk about the Eagles til you all got sick of it (I understand that wouldn´t take long for some). If they play their cards right, they can probably make a lot of money and entertain a boatload of people for several more years with the old-timers, and then possibly transition to a new era with Deacon Frey at the helm. The latter part depends on whether Deacon inherited a fraction of his dad´s ability as a writer. He seems to be doing pretty well with the singing and picking part. My 2 cents on how to make that happen:

Say goodbye to Vince Gill with heartfelt thanks for helping them through a tough time after Glenn´s passing. Time for him to go back to being Vince Gill, which ain´t so bad.

Give Timothy Schmidt the option of staying on and just playing bass or retiring. Singing the high parts for all those concerts is tough enough for anyone. 70 years and a bout with throat cancer have taken their toll on his once-angelic voice. Listening to him struggle on ¨I Can´t tell you Why¨ is almost painful, and even his harmony singing is not what it used to be.

Cut way back on Henley´s drumming (they already have some) and let someone else take the lead vocals on a couple of his songs. He can still sing a soulful ballad like Desperado or Wasted Time almost as well as ever, but Hotel California (which is surprisingly tough to sing because it´s so high all the way through) is another matter.

Let Joe be Joe. He´s a freak of nature. A septigenarian who is playing as well as ever, and after trying to drink, drug and carrouse himself to death for 30 years, with 20 years of sobriety may now actually be singing BETTER. He has been the most popular member of the group for years for a bunch of reasons.

Hand the baton to Deacon Frey. With Gill gone, he would be able to sing all the songs his dad used to, and stretch his guitar skills as well. Hopefully he also has a new song or 20 in him.

Bring back Don Felder. Nothing against Steuart Smith, who is a virtuoso axe man, but it´s just not the same. Huge bonus to this is he could bring Joe Coffey (former Chicago singer) from his current band with him, who could take over high harmony duties and sings ¨Take it to the Limit¨ better than anyone since Randy Meisner. He also plays bass, so he could do that as well if Timmy decided to hang it up.
Wow. Impressive breakdown. I can’t see them doing that because I don’t think they like each other enough to spend that much time together. Nor do they have that much interest in touring the ‘State Fair’ circuit.
Quite frankly the only thing you miss in a Felder show compared to an Eagles show IS Joe. Totally agree that guy is a freak of nature. But even moreso fun to watch
If it´s an Eagles show, it won´t be a state fair deal. The demand is still huge, and the baby boomers who are their fan base will still pay top dollar. They have connected with Deacon, but not so much with Vince. As far as I can tell, the only current conflict standing in the way of this is the one between Henley and Felder, and Felder is totally ready to bury the hatchet. Right now, it´s all on Henley, and it looks like he feels some sort of obligation to Glenn to carry this grudge, and also seems to have a bromance with Gill which nobody else is feeling. Personally, I´m hoping the draw of $$$ will win out, perhaps with some urging from Azoff, and possibly Deacon as well.

I love me some Joe Walsh. He may not be the most technically impressive guitar player out there, but those who are (Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, May etc.) all revere him. His tone is totally distinctive, and he is a consumate performer. He also may be the coolest man on the planet.
oldflame wrote:If it´s an Eagles show, it won´t be a state fair deal. The demand is still huge, and the baby boomers who are their fan base will still pay top dollar. They have connected with Deacon, but not so much with Vince. As far as I can tell, the only current conflict standing in the way of this is the one between Henley and Felder, and Felder is totally ready to bury the hatchet. Right now, it´s all on Henley, and it looks like he feels some sort of obligation to Glenn to carry this grudge, and also seems to have a bromance with Gill which nobody else is feeling. Personally, I´m hoping the draw of $$$ will win out, perhaps with some urging from Azoff, and possibly Deacon as well.

I love me some Joe Walsh. He may not be the most technically impressive guitar player out there, but those who are (Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, May etc.) all revere him. His tone is totally distinctive, and he is a consumate performer. He also may be the coolest man on the planet.
They aren’t a State Fair act yet because their supply of concerts has been limited. I only mean that to say, they won’t be able to keep charging the prices they charge if they toured more. That’s what I meant by State Fair Circuit. My bad for not being clear
Purple Haize wrote:
oldflame wrote:If it´s an Eagles show, it won´t be a state fair deal. The demand is still huge, and the baby boomers who are their fan base will still pay top dollar. They have connected with Deacon, but not so much with Vince. As far as I can tell, the only current conflict standing in the way of this is the one between Henley and Felder, and Felder is totally ready to bury the hatchet. Right now, it´s all on Henley, and it looks like he feels some sort of obligation to Glenn to carry this grudge, and also seems to have a bromance with Gill which nobody else is feeling. Personally, I´m hoping the draw of $$$ will win out, perhaps with some urging from Azoff, and possibly Deacon as well.

I love me some Joe Walsh. He may not be the most technically impressive guitar player out there, but those who are (Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, May etc.) all revere him. His tone is. totally distinctive, and he is a consumate performer. He also may be the coolest man on the planet.

They aren’t a State Fair act yet because their supply of concerts has been limited. I only mean that to say, they won’t be able to keep charging the prices they charge if they toured more. That’s what I meant by State Fair Circuit. My bad for not being clear
Gotcha, and I agree that is likely where they are heading with the current lineup, but I´ve gotta believe reuniting Felder and Walsh would make it a whole new ball game.
Joe Walsh has a ton of leverage in this deal. If he wants to play with Felder again, he can do it. It would be up to Henley and Azoff whether that would be as an Eagle or a co headliner with Felder. If Joe were to give them an ultimatum, they would be fools not to bring Felder back. Take Walsh out of the lineup and the Eagles would have to cut their ticket prices in half to draw flies. On the other hand, baby boomers would pay top dollar IMHO to hear Walsh, Felder and Jeff Coffey, whatever they chose to call themselves.
Just got back from seeing Drive By Truckers at House of Blues in Myrtle Beach. They put on a great show. If you like alt-country or southern rock, go see them if you get the chance.
adam42381 wrote:Just got back from seeing Drive By Truckers at House of Blues in Myrtle Beach. They put on a great show. If you like alt-country or southern rock, go see them if you get the chance.
I never have seen DBT but have always wanted to. Good to know they put on a good show and I would not expect any less with their style.
We saw Pixies and Weezer last night in Raleigh. Weezer put on one of the most enjoyable shows I’ve been to in a long time. Yes, they played El Scorcho.
alabama24 wrote:Bought a ticket for ALABAMA & Oak Ridge Boys at the Salem Civic Center.
Why? :lol:

Michael W Smith tomorrow in Lynchburg
TSO Sunday in DC.
I’m all in on Christmas this year.

Next year is going to be a massive concert year though: Metallica, KISS, Iron Maiden... it will make the Peters Brothers heads explode! :lol:
By CCWMichael
Purple Haize wrote:
alabama24 wrote:Bought a ticket for ALABAMA & Oak Ridge Boys at the Salem Civic Center.

Michael W Smith tomorrow in Lynchburg
TSO Sunday in DC.
I’m all in on Christmas this year.

Next year is going to be a massive concert year though: Metallica, KISS, Iron Maiden... it will make the Peters Brothers heads explode! :lol:
August 21, 2019.
Hershey PA
I am able to see KISS for free ......
Will not state publicly how I pulled this off but it will be a great trip down memory lane.
ballcoach15 wrote:Best concert in this area is at Thomas Road Baptist Church, sometime early in 2019. I forget the date.
Do you have an artist?
alabama24 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
ALABAMA is the best band of all time... Or at least one of them. :lol:
If the best name you can come up for your group is a State......you need help
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]