This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
This is a list compiled by Intercollegiate Review, which is a conservative group, so these books are by and large conservative-leaning. I've only read 2 on the list (Orthodoxy, Abolition of Man), and only had one other on my to-read list (The Constitution of Liberty), but this definitely gives me some titles to add to my Amazon wish list.

http://www.intercollegiatereview.com/in ... h-century/
Here are their top 5:
1. Henry Adams, The Education of Henry Adams (1907)
Pessimism and nostalgia at the bright dawn of the twentieth century must have seemed bizarre to contemporaries. After a century of war, mass murder, and fanaticism, we know that Adams’s insight was keen indeed.

2. C. S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man (1947)
Preferable to Lewis’s other remarkable books simply because of the title, which reveals the true intent of liberalism.

3. Whittaker Chambers, Witness (1952)
The haunting, lyrical testament to truth and humanity in a century of lies (and worse). Chambers achieves immortality recounting his spiritual journey from the dark side (Soviet Communism) to the—in his eyes—doomed West. One of the great autobiographies of the millennium.

4. T. S. Eliot, Selected Essays, 1917–1932 (1932, 1950)
Here, one of the century’s foremost literary innovators insists that innovation is only possible through an intense engagement of tradition. Every line of Eliot’s prose bristles with intelligence and extreme deliberation.

5. Arnold Toynbee, A Study of History (1934–61)
Made the possibility of a divine role in history respectable among serious historians. Though ignored by academic careerists, Toynbee is still read by those whose intellectual horizons extend beyond present fashions.
What do you think? I'm looking forward to their 50 Wost Books list, should be fun.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have The Abolition of Man on my to-read list as well. I read the Churchill work years ago. He doesn't exactly hide his personal opinions like he did in his History of the English-Speaking Peoples.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
i too have read orthodoxy twice. once in highschool and again a few years back. i probably didn't understand a lick of it in hs because i stumbled through it a few years back. whats amazing is how you feel like he could of written it 2 months ago and it all still applied.

i've read abolition and i read the cosmos one by Percy.

None of the others' descriptions really did much for me.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
They limited it to non-fiction and English-language books of the 20th century.

Anyone reading anything good this summer? I just finished the Galations for You commentary by Tim Keller and 'Is God Anti-Gay?' by Sam Allberry. I'd recommend Sam's book to anyone, really clear and well thought-out.

I'm currently reading one of EM Bounds' books on prayer, and 'Gilead' by Marilynne Robinson and really enjoying it. It's just the kind of book I'd love to write. And if you've never read Bounds, you are missing out. Not sure what I want to read next, but I've got a pretty big stack to go already.
ALUmnus wrote:I just finished the Galations for You commentary by Tim Keller and 'Is God Anti-Gay?' by Sam Allberry. I'd recommend Sam's book to anyone, really clear and well thought-out.
Does Sam actually answer the question or is it another one of those books where you have to decide for yourself?
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:They limited it to non-fiction and English-language books of the 20th century.

Anyone reading anything good this summer? I just finished the Galations for You commentary by Tim Keller and 'Is God Anti-Gay?' by Sam Allberry. I'd recommend Sam's book to anyone, really clear and well thought-out.

I'm currently reading one of EM Bounds' books on prayer, and 'Gilead' by Marilynne Robinson and really enjoying it. It's just the kind of book I'd love to write. And if you've never read Bounds, you are missing out. Not sure what I want to read next, but I've got a pretty big stack to go already.
i've only read Killing Kennedy and Unbroken so far this summer and am nursing my way through Assassin's Apprentice.

both kennedy and unbroken were great.

NFL’s trading rules, salary cap, and prof[…]

Virginia Tech

The football team and basketball teams would l[…]

Volleyball Coach

If you want another name of a former flame who[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

If ACC is left with 3 or 4 or completely dismant[…]