This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
OK. My kid wants something called an alienware 14 laptop for his birthday. He says it is specially built for gaming and the cheapest one of that line.

I looked them up but have no friggin clue. Also saw a Valkyrie? Couple others too. Supposedly you can run multiple games, whatever.

One of you young gamer types please point me in the right direction thx
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The words Alienware and cheap do not belong in the same sentence. Well, maybe, if the word NOT is also in there. You are talking 4 figures.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:Buy the boy a gun and take him hunting. It will be better for both of you in the long run.
I echo this.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Alienware makes a solid product with all the top end hardware. I've always thought the mSI gaming notebooks were a better value though... The screen size is larger for the msi (15.6" vs. 14" for the AW14). They also have virtually the same quality processor (Intel i5 4200 series) and graphics processor (nvidia 740M 2GB for the MSi vs. 750M 2GB for the AW14). The HD has more storage on the mSI (750 vs 500 GB's), which always helps with the larger game sizes. Last, the memory for both has the same specs (8GB DDR3L @ 1600mhz).

Starting price for the msi is $899 vs. $1,099 for the Alienware. I think the mSI wins...
By JakeP50
Registration Days Posts
Valkyrie is made for hardcore gamers who only use their computers for gaming and nothing else so stay away from those there's really no point. An Alienware 14 is a decent entry gaming laptop and can be used for other things (Microsoft office, internet) but they can get pretty expensive. It comes pre-loaded with a few games which is nice. It will last a while though, Alienware is just a sub-brand of Dell, mostly made for teenagers and guys in their early 20's, with more memory, bigger hard drive and a better graphics card.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
OK thanks. I saw those MSI units too... Maybe I can talk him into one of those

And he did get a nice little Mossberg 20 ga a couple years ago. Went hunting once and won't go out again. Can't even get him to go to the range...

At least his mother goes with me
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Cool, that's even better. My wife likes to go as well and has more than done her share to fill the freezer.

As for the laptop, my son-in-law has the 14 and likes it quite well.
Future Schedules.... Again

We should offer to go to Northwestern 25 and[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

It's official Josh Smith has signed. [https://lib[…]

Athens Regional

I don’t know how to take that!

NCAA Realignment Megathread

In the FCS world, Richmond is moving their footb[…]