This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

TH Spangler wrote:Extremely high voter turnout. Could mean good things coming in November.

It ended up being a high turnout? I didn't really pay much attention to this election, but the high turnout seems a bit surprising. My fiance's precinct is heavily populated, and mostly conservative, yet she was voter 82 at around 5:30 yesterday. I'm pretty sure my tiny precinct in Rocky Mount gets better numbers than that, even for primaries.

Hopefully this will shake things up in the Republican party.
I will tell you that nationally the angle being discussed is not about Tea Party vs. RINO but rather treatment of immigrants. The perception of conservative-leabing Hispanics based on this race could impact the fall elections for better or worse.
Brat was not endorsed by any of the large Tea Party PAC's or organizations. At least they didn't give him any money
What I also find interesting is that there is no reference to Cantor signing for the Unlimited Debt Ceiling legislation. That was a factor with the Fiscally Responsible angle
There is the possibility some democrats wanted to make mischief and voted in the primary. It doesn't matter what party you're registered in, as long as you promise not to vote in the other party's primary per Virginia laws. Trust me on this, in 2008 I voted for Hillary in the Democratic presidential primary and I am far from a registered Democrat.
ATrain wrote:There is the possibility some democrats wanted to make mischief and voted in the primary. It doesn't matter what party you're registered in, as long as you promise not to vote in the other party's primary per Virginia laws. Trust me on this, in 2008 I voted for Hillary in the Democratic presidential primary and I am far from a registered Democrat.
Already been looked into, did not happen in this case.
4everfsu wrote:
ATrain wrote:There is the possibility some democrats wanted to make mischief and voted in the primary. It doesn't matter what party you're registered in, as long as you promise not to vote in the other party's primary per Virginia laws. Trust me on this, in 2008 I voted for Hillary in the Democratic presidential primary and I am far from a registered Democrat.
Already been looked into, did not happen in this case.
Source????

I just saw the headline where the pollster for Cantor was blaming Dems, and the whole article was about him blaming Dems for the loss. I didn't see where his accusation was refuted.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/eric-cant ... 01793.html
The Brat who beat Cantor said "it's time to end cheap political rhetoric." Isn't that itself "cheap political rhetoric?" [Note: my comment should not be construed as an endorsement of any candidate. The irony was just too good to pass up :)]
4everfsu wrote:http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-06-11.html
Of course, these are the same people who also try to persuade us that amnesty isn't "amnesty," illegal aliens aren't "illegal aliens" (they're "undocumented workers"!), and that there are 30 million jobs Americans won't do at any price.
NOT that I am in favor of amnesty, but based off of what I've seen in my professional career, I can say there are a lot of people who have learned to live off the government and just don't want to do any job at any price. One case someone actually told their therapist "My dad doesn't work and people take care of him so why should I? I'd just rather sit at home and watch TV," and the therapist noted that she had made the connection between not working and living off the government.
ATrain wrote:
4everfsu wrote:http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-06-11.html
Of course, these are the same people who also try to persuade us that amnesty isn't "amnesty," illegal aliens aren't "illegal aliens" (they're "undocumented workers"!), and that there are 30 million jobs Americans won't do at any price.
NOT that I am in favor of amnesty, but based off of what I've seen in my professional career, I can say there are a lot of people who have learned to live off the government and just don't want to do any job at any price. One case someone actually told their therapist "My dad doesn't work and people take care of him so why should I? I'd just rather sit at home and watch TV," and the therapist noted that she had made the connection between not working and living off the government.
Those who do not want to work as described above, I think I got a solution for those getting a check from the govt. They need to pay taxes, say 10 percent back to the govt. As a matter of fact anyone beneath the poverty level should have to pay taxes.
Don't forget that everything this administration has done has been to expand government and limit free markets, vis-a-vis the executive order changing the welfare work requirements, broad-stroke EPA regulations that raise energy prices, thus raising the prices of ALL goods and services, rapidly expanding the various food stamp programs while adding new welfare programs that will represent a huge liability in the very near future (ie Obamacare).

On top of all this, you have what essentially amounts to a modern-day version of the Children's Crusade taking place down at the border... I fear for our country in ways I never thought I'd ever have to back in the first decade of the 21st Century.
Actually 4everFSU, I'd prefer we keep the illegals who are willing to work and not cause trouble and deport the people like I described.

And yes ALUmnus, Disability is definitely a fiscally troubled program. I'll give more on the numbers later and just how it got that way.
Reading any article by Ann Coulter is like reading one of Karl Rove's little puppets. And there's no chance a Democrat wins this seat, look at the district so there's no incentive for Democrats to even play around with the candidates.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]