This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By FLAMEfromBAMA
Registration Days Posts
Interesting story about a couple of LU Alumni

USA Today wrote:Benham brothers: 'If faith cost us TV show, so be it'
Ann Oldenburg, USA TODAY 8:23 a.m. EDT May 8, 2014

Benham brothers Liberty
(Photo: YouTube)

HGTV had announced a new series, Flip it Forward, planned for October, starring twins David and Jason Benham.

The concept: After a decade of flipping houses for profit, the Benham guys would now help families buy the home they thought they could never afford — a small-scale, personal Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.

In each episode, the brothers would find a fixer-upper and "transform it into their forever home — with a healthy dose of sibling rivalry between the brothers along the way," said HGTV in the April announcement.

But today, quietly, in a tweet, HGTV says the show will not be happening.
Click Here for Full Story
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
These guys were playing baseball for LU when I was there, saw them this year at homecoming. This is the new America. "anti-gay, anti-choice extremists"
By JakeP50
Registration Days Posts
Fred Phelps and his people are/were extremists, not these two. They weren't doing anything close to what they did, most of the things that article said about them was what their father did and said, if I read those articles right.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
JakeP50 wrote:Fred Phelps and his people are/were extremists, not these two. They weren't doing anything close to what they did, most of the things that article said about them was what their father did and said, if I read those articles right.
No, it was about David, one of the brothers. He is the one who was protesting.
I am really getting sick of the crap thrown out there by the real extremists. But, I am afraid it will only continue to get worse.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Their father did do some cooky things back in the day. Got arrested and served jail time for showing graphic abortion photos at EC Glass in the 90's. But these two are no extremists.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
There are some crazies out there, like the ones who showed up at LCA a few years ago. The problem is that the pro-choice crowd can't logically separate the two. They think anyone who disagrees with them as extremists.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
David & Jason placed a statement on their website. http://benhambrothers.com/statement/
Statement from Benham Brothers:
“The first and last thought on our minds as we begin and end each day is; have we shined Christ’s light today? Our faith is the fundamental calling in our lives, and the centerpiece of who we are. As Christians we are called to love our fellow man. Anyone who suggests that we hate homosexuals or people of other faiths is either misinformed or lying.

Over the last decade, we’ve sold thousands of homes with the guiding principle of producing value and breathing life into each family that has crossed our path, and we do not, nor will we ever discriminate against people who do not share our views.

We were saddened to hear HGTV’s decision. With all of the grotesque things that can be seen and heard on television today you would think there would be room for two twin brothers who are faithful to our families, committed to biblical principles, and dedicated professionals. If our faith costs us a television show then so be it.”

- David & Jason Benham
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
In 10 years - most our Freedom's will be gone and you will fear opening you mouth about anything... I knew David and Jason in college and they were great guys that aren't bible thumpers. Would have been a great show. Big miss for HGTV. My suggestion - sell the idea to TBN, LBN or someone else...
By CinciFlame
Registration Days Posts
The indoctrination of our children is well under way. Look into common core a little and you'll be shocked. I never thought I would be a home school advocate, but I'm about there.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
my son (and any future children God sees fit to entrust to us) is not going anywhere near a public school for that very reason. He will learn to think critically and be a productive member of society but he is not going to be part of the brainwashed masses that come out of many public schools
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:my son (and any future children God sees fit to entrust to us) is not going anywhere near a public school for that very reason. He will learn to think critically and be a productive member of society but he is not going to be part of the brainwashed masses that come out of many public schools
Way to insult everyone who has gone to a Public School.

Wait....didn't you just interview for a job in one of those places that produce your so called brainwashed masses? You know kids spend more time with their parents than they do in school. So maybe parents have something to do with it :dontgetit
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
There are exceptions but from me and my wife's experience, public schools can be atrocious. For us, it's not worth the risk.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Read the comments from the USA Today article. "Hate speech", "bigotry" are used repeatedly to desribe the brothers' beliefs. That is where we are now and the tolerant leftists will push to make those beliefs illegal.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:There are exceptions but from me and my wife's experience, public schools can be atrocious. For us, it's not worth the risk.
.......says Muppet Man..... :D
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
You guys should come hang out at my Wyldlife Club (Younglife for middle schoolers) on Tuesday mornings every week at the den of iniquity I call my place of work...a [gasp] public school! We have between 130 and 150 kids (and 15 teachers) show up each week throughout the school year having a bunch of fun while learning about God's love for them. The week before Easter, I had the opportunity to share the plan of salvation with them. 35 kids accepted Christ that day. I was trying to figure out the best way for me to get with the kids and get them pointed in the right direction before the end of the school year, but I didn't have to because the Christian kids all stepped up and are actually discipling them. It's way beyond awesome. The school is actually on fire for Jesus. I went to a Christian high school and I never saw anything like this.

So, before you pass judgement on everyone associated with the horrible public school system, take a minute to think about where Jesus spent pretty much every moment of his ministry (hint: it wasn't with the religious people).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
01LUGrad wrote:You guys should come hang out at my Wyldlife Club (Younglife for middle schoolers) on Tuesday mornings every week at the den of iniquity I call my place of work...a [gasp] public school! We have between 130 and 150 kids (and 15 teachers) show up each week throughout the school year having a bunch of fun while learning about God's love for them. The week before Easter, I had the opportunity to share the plan of salvation with them. 35 kids accepted Christ that day. I was trying to figure out the best way for me to get with the kids and get them pointed in the right direction before the end of the school year, but I didn't have to because the Christian kids all stepped up and are actually discipling them. It's way beyond awesome. The school is actually on fire for Jesus. I went to a Christian high school and I never saw anything like this.

So, before you pass judgement on everyone associated with the horrible public school system, take a minute to think about where Jesus spent pretty much every moment of his ministry (hint: it wasn't with the religious people).
That's not possible! They are all brainwashed abortion loving Eco-conscious liberals. You must attend a closet Private school! We took God out of school don't go try bringing him back in :? :shock: Study
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
01LUGrad wrote:You guys should come hang out at my Wyldlife Club (Younglife for middle schoolers) on Tuesday mornings every week at the den of iniquity I call my place of work...a [gasp] public school! We have between 130 and 150 kids (and 15 teachers) show up each week throughout the school year having a bunch of fun while learning about God's love for them. The week before Easter, I had the opportunity to share the plan of salvation with them. 35 kids accepted Christ that day. I was trying to figure out the best way for me to get with the kids and get them pointed in the right direction before the end of the school year, but I didn't have to because the Christian kids all stepped up and are actually discipling them. It's way beyond awesome. The school is actually on fire for Jesus. I went to a Christian high school and I never saw anything like this.

I came to faith through the ministry of YL. Thanks for serving in that ministry.
By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:In 10 years - most our Freedom's will be gone and you will fear opening you mouth about anything... I knew David and Jason in college and they were great guys that aren't bible thumpers. Would have been a great show. Big miss for HGTV. My suggestion - sell the idea to TBN, LBN or someone else...
Here's a great article by Todd Starnes regarding the subject of can God Bless a Godless America. I wrote to HGTV to express my decision to not watch their network any longer. I also wrote to Cracker Barrel when they did their foolish decision to pull some Duck Dynasty merchandise.

I for one plan to speak out and not be ashamed of what the Bible says.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/05/ ... s-america/
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Many public schools PH not all. im glad there are people like 01 working with young people in the public schools but what ive found is a large percentage simply dont have the critical thinking or basic comprehension skills to make significant contributions to the world at large. For those Christian families who have young people in those schools, that is their prerogative...just the choice that my wife and I will be making is to not send our children to one.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:... but what ive found is a large percentage simply dont have the critical thinking or basic comprehension skills to make significant contributions to the world at large...
wait, what?

no way I read that right

:shock:
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]