This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have to admit that when I found out Angelina Jolie would be directing the cinematic version of one of my favorite biographies I was a bit disappointed. When the Coen Brothers signed on to write the screenplay from Hillenbrand's book, my hopes were lifted.

[youtube]
[/youtube]

It is tough to tell much from the trailer with all of the Brokaw narration and sound bites from Louie. But I am seriously jazzed to see it will finally be out in 2014. I have to wonder how much of the faith and redemption angle will be played after all of the re-writes. But the story is incredible nonetheless.

Christmas can't get here soon enough. Still wish we could get him to Liberty for a convo while we still can.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Unfortunately, Louie died this month at age 97.

For those of you who read the book, check out this video slideshow that illustrates his story in pictures:

[youtube]
[/youtube]
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
finished the book a few weeks ago. read it without even knowing there was a movie coming out. my dad had the books on cd and i got started listening on our way down to pick up my boat.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have talked up this book incessantly for a couple of years on here. It really is three books in one. Each one of them would have been awesome on its own.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
BUMP: I bought this book for my mom for her birthday... It is on sale now for $2.99 on Kindle. They must be trying to pump up ticket sales on opening day. :)
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
I think this film has a chance to impact lives in ways that God's Not Dead and ANY of the Left Behind movies never could.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The last 100 pages or so are Hillenbrand's documentation. I remember her saying at the outset she thought the story was too good to be true. She spent years and years researching and interviewing eyewitnesses to verify. What emerged was more incredible than the original autobiography by Louie ... he had toned down the story due to humility.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I want to see it on Christmas but I think the entire city does as well. So Mrs Purple and I will wait till the weekend
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
I told my classes about the book and, in an attempt to get the 8th grade guys reading, invited them to hang out at lunch once a week and discuss a few of the chapters at a time. I was expecting 5 or so of them to accept the challenge. I had 40 kids show up the first week and 37 the next. They are going to finish it over the break and I am going to meet them at a theater on a Saturday in January to watch the movie. The best part is that several of them have read ahead and are asking me questions about his decision to follow Christ. Public school teacher win!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I am waiting to see this movie before making judgements. Louie himself was insistent on the faith messages being present. This movie certainly opens the doors to discuss the segment of the book that didn't make it into the film.

I still believe this would have made a better trilogy than just one long movie.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That is awesome, 01!

I am waiting to see this movie before making judgements. Louie himself was insistent on the faith messages being present. This movie certainly opens the doors to discuss the segment of the book that didn't make it into the film.

I still believe this would have made a better trilogy than just one long movie.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Watched the film tonight with Mrs. Sly 12-year-old Sly Jr. It was a good investment of time and resources. And I can't remember how many times I have been able to say that in recent times. The filmmaking was strong and the acting was actually better than I anticipated. There were several eye-popping moments visually. And for the most part, the film did not deviate from what was already an incredible story.

While the faith component was not as overt as the book, it was certainly obvious to even the most casual observer. Hopefully this encourages others to dive into the book. Because other than a brief update at the end of the film before credits, the film only focuses on the 1st two of the three acts in the book. It left the door open for a sequel about what happened after the war. But I'm not sure Jolie and the folks at Universal will be anxious to pursue that angle.

I feel even stronger now that this would have been much better as a trilogy. The first movie on the running ... second on the war ... third on the redemption story after the war.

After the lights came back on, we were stunned to see a family a few rows in front of us get out of their seats with what looked to be 6- or 7-year-old boys. I would NEVER take small children to see this movie. The graphic nature of the prison camp scenes would most certainly incite nightmares.
By From the class of 09
Registration Days Posts
The movie was good, but leaving out the last 1/3 of the book left out IMO the most amazing thing. That he was able to forgive his captores. And you hit the nail Sly this would've been a perfect trilogy.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:I'm sure Kirk Cameron will get the rights to the 3rd act if Jolie won't make it.
Please no.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Saw the movie. Thought it was good. Not as good as the book. Sly is right, it should have been a mini-series.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]