This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
The Libertarian party needs to disband and hang their head in shame. In an election where everybody seems to dislike both guys they can only muster enough votes to basically lose the election for one guy. On top of that, they nominated a guy who wasn't even Libertarian. They really stepped up to the plate and wiffed. They've ensured that they can never be anything other than an annoyance in a time when they truly had a chance to transcend into viability.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Just heard on the radio that Mcauliffe is apparently going to try to do damage to the Charlottesville bypass. So AGAIN it may get shelved.
He won Albemarle County so he's got support.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
If you wanted a Republican, you have nothing to blame but the TEA Party. They hijacked the nominating process. Bolling would've beaten the snot out of McAuliffe. It is time for the TEA Party and the Republican party to divorce. Let the TEA Party be uncompromising, staunch fiscal and social conservatives. They'll win some seats, to be sure, in the rural enclaves. Let the new Republican party be fiscal conservatives and social liberals, they'll attract a large number of fiscally conservative Dems and let the far left cling to Obama.

The good news is, we still have a seemingly moderate legislature, so hopefully McAuliffe plays the pragmatist that he portrayed and is willing to work across party lines...if not, looks like I get a free vacation in July (possibly earlier if the government shuts down again).

Finally, Sarvis was pro-gun, pro-choice, pro-equality, pro-marijuana. That seems pretty Libertarian to me. If the party had actually supported him and given him resources to fight, he may have gotten much more support.

As for the 29 bypass...only shelve it if the money goes toward a third crossing here in Hampton Roads.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Bolling vs McAuliffe - not much of a choice if you ask me. Yeah, tea party, just shut up! Your opinion is not wanted and you don't deserve to be heard. Just go away already! :roll:
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
McAuliffe played himself as a pragmatist but in reality he is far-left. Bolling is not as far right as the vast majority on this board, but he is much closer than McAwful.
By Dr. Sheh
Registration Days Posts
Bolling actively sabotaged Cuccinelli, even stumping for Sarvis. Agreed w/ those who said Sarvis was no libertarian, he favors Keynesian economics, expansion of medicare & medicaid, etc, hardly the libertarian philosophy.

Cuccinelli did campaign a bit too negatively, and that hurt him some. The government shutdown that was blamed on the GOP hurt too (I would imagine most furloughed govt workers voted for McAuliffe). McDonnell's legal issues also hurt Cuccinelli. But the kicker is how the Old Guard in the GOP did not want Cuccinelli to win, simple as that. The Republican Governor's association spent $9 Mil on a moderate candidate in McDonnell in 2009, but barely spent $3 mil on Cuccinelli and pulled multiple TV ads in the weeks before the election. But the Governor's association is happy to spend $1.7 mil on Christie in NJ in a landslide election, precious dollars that could have helped tremendously. On top of that the media said Cuccinelli would lose big for weeks now, when in fact it was a toss up until the very end.

I remain convinced many in the GOP wanted Cuccinelli to lose to prove a point and serve as a referendum that tea party/real conservative candidates can't win and we need a moderate like Christie to win a national election. How did that work with McCain? Or Romney? At least VA has the supermajority in the house of delegates, so I welcome more gridlock for 4 years.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Bolling is perhaps the most boring human being on the planet.

Atrain, you conveniently left out all of Sarvis' very un-libertarian fiscal positions. He was not a libertarian.

Cuccinelli lost this because of an awful campaign, not because of issues.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Have you guys considered the possibility of attempting what they tried yesterday in Colorado? If you could shed NOVA, life what would be exceedingly better in the Commonwealth of Virginia or in your newly formed state.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:what'd they try in Colorado?
Secession...NOVA has often talked about leaving, but its never been serious. If Southwest VA wants to Separate from NOVA...have at it.

As for the financial issues, Sarvis may be lacking as far as Libertarian viewpoints but at least he understands that compromises have to be made. Also, as a state employee (and a gay state employee on top of that), I feel better with McAuliffe than Kooky Cooch.

I'd also like to state, that for the record...I'm not the only member on this board who despises what the TEA Party has become and voted for Sarvis.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Why do you keep capitalizing tea? Im dying to know.
Its an acronymn that in the early days of the movement (09/10) stood for Taxed Enough Already.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
It's funny how people who despise what the tea party has "become" run to liberalism. Things start to become a little clearer.

On a side note, a look at the numbers gives the impression that Sarvis didn't hurt Cuccinelli, though there's no way to know for sure.
Last edited by ALUmnus on November 6th, 2013, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Big Mac didn't campaign too much in these here parts because he didn't need to. From what I did see down here it was more of an attack against Cuccinelli than what he would do. He did a great job painting him as a guy who wants to outlaw birth control while hiding his own craziness. Virginia is a reflection of the country as a whole. Densely populated urban areas go D and everyone else goes R.
For those saying that Ken was too far right, I disagree. If this argument was valid my man Mitt would have won the POTUS election. No one could accuse him of being a hard right TEA party guy, yet he lost. So much for The Moderate Therum. Ken ran a terribly unfocused campaign, was abandoned by the National party and still almost pulled it out. Why? Because when he focused on Obamacare, a TEA Party favorite, he cut a 14 point deficit. It's generally acknowledged that if it went 1 more week ( or IMO started 1 week earlier) Ken would have won. When TEA Party candidates focus on economics they do well. The Liverals do a great job focusing on the social issues, which are generally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things but make great campaign AD fodder.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:
at least he's not calling them teabaggers
Not on this board, anyway :wink:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
RubberMallet wrote:
at least he's not calling them teabaggers
Not on this board, anyway :wink:
What you do in the privacy of your own apartment..... :shock:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
What Purple does with spelling and capitalization often defies any kind of logic that exists outside of Morgantown. :dontgetit
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
What Purple does with spelling and capitalization often defies any kind of logic that exists outside of Morgantown. :dontgetit
wHat due ewe men?
LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 7 […]

Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]