This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Houston is a flatter version of the ATL with lower cost of living and more growth opportunities. San Antonio is my second choice among the major Texas cities behind Austin. Seriously, Austin is at a whole other level. If I could live anywhere full-time in the Continental US the ATX would be my first choice. I miss that place like crazy.

You guys have no idea how much cheaper it is to live down here while the high-paying jobs are being added daily. You can live like a king for practically nothing.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Houston is a flatter version of the ATL with lower cost of living and more growth opportunities. San Antonio is my second choice among the major Texas cities behind Austin. Seriously, Austin is at a whole other level. If I could live anywhere full-time in the Continental US the ATX would be my first choice. I miss that place like crazy.

You guys have no idea how much cheaper it is to live down here while the high-paying jobs are being added daily. You can live like a king for practically nothing.
Austin? Hanging out with your Liberal Commie friends?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:You can live like a king for practically nothing.
I thought that was the sales pitch I got when I moved to Lynchburg. :wink:

I got married in the Lone Star State and have a wife, a big belt buckle, and some cowboy boots to show for it.
By bballfan84
Registration Days Posts
I lived in in Houston for 9 years..absolutely loved it. Would move back there in a heartbeat if I could. Live like a king and make the same money you make on the east coast..WIN WIN!!
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:Actually we're planning on immigrating to Sweden at some point. Thanks for asking tho
What happened to your Australian dream? That would seem a much better choice than Sweden.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
And these days some of the highest paying jobs in America are all being created in Texas ... and it is still cheap to live here. Keep in mind that practically everybody here came from somewhere else. When I first moved to Texas it seemed to primarily be a bunch of Yankee transplants. Now it seems like everybody moving here is either California, Colorado or overseas. This is the Land of Opportunity without an oppressive state government and a warm climate.

Anybody heard those radio spots up in DC with Rick Perry telling Maryland businesses they ought to move to Texas? I find them a riot. Openly stealing business in a way that makes it obvious how different the business climates are between the two states is awesome. Hopefully it spurs Maryland residents to start working their legislature to make changes to retain businesses.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I live in Houston where the majority of growth is spurred by energy (both oil & gas as well as utilities) now that the space program has been cut down at the knees by the administration. As a result there is a massive flow of entrepreneurs and innovators rushing in from oppressed areas thrilled by the business climate down here. In DFW, Austin & San Antonio the influx is coming from different directions. DFW is having major northern & eastern companies all move their headquarters and much of their office employees into their central location. Austin is still a tech haven and entrepreneur incubator. San Antonio has seen explosive growth from companies already there as well as move-ins related to the economics of a low cost of living and NAFTA connections. West Texas & South Texas growth in general is based on shale plays.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:
ATrain wrote:Actually we're planning on immigrating to Sweden at some point. Thanks for asking tho
What happened to your Australian dream? That would seem a much better choice than Sweden.
He likes Sweden, was just there a couple months ago actually. The pictures look nice, and as long as he is agreeable to me complaining about the weather 8 months of the year we'll make it work.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Aren't you at all worried that all of these people moving in from other states (particularly the blue ones) are going to ruin the favorable business climate in Texas by continuing to vote for the idiots that ruined their former states?

TX is a huge target for Democrats. I'm just saying... if I was Perry and the rest of TX, I wouldn't be so excited about people coming in from states like CA, MD and other various hotbeds of liberal/progressive policies.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It will happen eventually. But no one wants to mess with what is working right now. When I moved here nearly a quarter century ago the state leaned moderate/conservative Democrat. It also hadn't experienced the incredible boon of the past two decades.

I will admit that traditional Texas culture is disappearing for better or worse. The Texas drawl is all be extinct except in a few places in rural East Texas and West Texas. The cowboy hats & boots are primarily just for rodeo season. Personally I have lived here for a long time and owned neither.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]