This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Need ya'll's help. I just moved into a new apartment and refuse to pay Cox cable $90 a month for cable internet bundle. What would you guys suggest for just picking up local channels as far a receiver is concerned? I'd like to get the standard ABC,NBC,FOX, and CBS etc. is anyone using one of those new digital receivers?
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
If you have an HD tv, then get an HD box antenna. A friend of mine gave me his and it picks up all of the basic channels in pristine HD quality. Love it. Looks good too since there aren't any "bunny ears".
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It all depends on where your home is located in regard to the TV towers. Digital bunny ears don't work at mine and I live in the Houston metro. Granted, about 40-50 miles from where most of the towers are located on the other side of town. I need a rooftop antenna to get the majority of local channels at my place.

How much does the Cox internet service that meets your needs cost by itself? We currently get a very basic cable service from Uverse that is essentially the local channels and some random cable ones for free for a year as part of signing up for their higher end internet service. Don't be shy about asking what incentives Cox might be willing to offer to get your web business.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I use a Mohu antenna and get better reception than I did with any other rabbit ears type. Mine is the basic, not amplified. They also now have a rooftop model, if the price comes down, I would probably try that. They also look a lot better than rabbit ears. Check them out: http://store.gomohu.com/
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:I thought this thread was going in a whole different direction
I thought it was a magazine reference.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Try to get as close to window, preferably the higher up you can get. Also try to set it on the side pointing to the Atlanta TV towers. Here's a cool website that will help you. Just enter your address and it will let you know what you should be able to get. I have an RCA indoor antenna (looks like a square, not your traditional bunny ears), and I can even sometimes pick up stations as far away as Richmond at times, 130 miles away. I've picked up Raleigh as well before, but DXing is a whole differing matter.

Considering you live in an apartment, I would recommend the RCA indoor antenna. It works great for me, and I have no problems getting Roanoke stations 20 miles away facing the opposite direction.

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option= ... 6&Itemid=1
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Thanks guys. I'm still considering just getting the stripped down basic cable. I haven't used an antenna for TV before so the info is great.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:I'm still considering just getting the stripped down basic cable
Maybe PAmedic was right.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
flamesfilmguy wrote:I'm still considering just getting the stripped down basic cable
Maybe PAmedic was right.
Glad you caught that one. I was putting my money on PH pointing that one out. lol
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:
alabama24 wrote:
Maybe PAmedic was right.
Glad you caught that one. I was putting my money on PH pointing that one out. I chortle audibly.
It just means he was going with the Chip N Dale's ' package '
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: It just means he was going with the Chip N Dale's ' package '
[youtube]
[/youtube]
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:I use a Mohu antenna and get better reception than I did with any other rabbit ears type. Mine is the basic, not amplified. They also now have a rooftop model, if the price comes down, I would probably try that. They also look a lot better than rabbit ears. Check them out: http://store.gomohu.com/

Flamehunter is right. The Mohu antennas are the best. You can get an indoor mohu leaf refurbished from amazon for $29. It works better than my rooftop antenna and looks a lot nicer.

I haven't had cable or Satellite for about two years.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:
flamehunter wrote:I use a Mohu antenna and get better reception than I did with any other rabbit ears type. Mine is the basic, not amplified. They also now have a rooftop model, if the price comes down, I would probably try that. They also look a lot better than rabbit ears. Check them out: http://store.gomohu.com/

Flamehunter is right. The Mohu antennas are the best. You can get an indoor mohu leaf refurbished from amazon for $29. It works better than my rooftop antenna and looks a lot nicer.

I haven't had cable or Satellite for about two years.
OK, I bought one. I'm a bit skeptical, largely due to our Candlers Mtn Location. At various times, we can get between 2-15 stations... But it's very sketchy. I'm hoping this one will like a place... And that my wife will like it too. I had the "perfect" setup once... But it was a balancing act involving a chair, trash can, and a box of cereal. :)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:I had the "perfect" setup once... But it was a balancing act involving a chair, trash can, and a box of cereal. :)
Sounds like how Purple plays "Twister" with the Mrs. :shock:
By rhezick
Figured I'd recycle an older thread to ask a question. I live in lynchburg off Timberlake and for some reason I can't get channel 24. Before you ask, no it's not my location or antenna. I have a 50 mile outdoor rca antenna hooked up to my roof coupled with existing dish network outdoor shielded cabling that brings in every channel and subchannel except PBS (don't care) and channel 24. So, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, CW, ION, TRBC's station and every corresponding sub channel. In addition the signal on each is excellent, and never falters even during the rain. So, it would stand to reason that Liberty's station would be an easy pick up... however at most I can get is pixalated green, and often just "can't find signal." Any ideas? I'd love to be able to watch/record Liberty games, but to no avail so far.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
rhezick wrote:Figured I'd recycle an older thread to ask a question. I live in lynchburg off Timberlake and for some reason I can't get channel 24. Before you ask, no it's not my location or antenna. I have a 50 mile outdoor rca antenna hooked up to my roof coupled with existing dish network outdoor shielded cabling that brings in every channel and subchannel except PBS (don't care) and channel 24. So, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, CW, ION, TRBC's station and every corresponding sub channel. In addition the signal on each is excellent, and never falters even during the rain. So, it would stand to reason that Liberty's station would be an easy pick up... however at most I can get is pixalated green, and often just "can't find signal." Any ideas? I'd love to be able to watch/record Liberty games, but to no avail so far.
According to the map, 24 is being broadcast from south of Smith Mountain Lake and southwest from your location and the other channels are broadcasting from either Bedford or a hair past Roanoke, in a western direction.

Based on that, I'd say if you could move your antenna so that it faced further Southwest, you'd probably get 24.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I live in NE Roanoke City and I can't get 24 even though all the maps tell me I can. I even have a window facing towards SML. I can even get 21 which I shouldn't be able to, but no 24.

The "50 miles is useless", it depends more on elevation and station wattage. When I lived in Botetourt I typically got 43, and even TV stations from Richmond at times with a simple UHF box antenna.
By rhezick
Yacht Rock wrote:
rhezick wrote:Figured I'd recycle an older thread to ask a question. I live in lynchburg off Timberlake and for some reason I can't get channel 24. Before you ask, no it's not my location or antenna. I have a 50 mile outdoor rca antenna hooked up to my roof coupled with existing dish network outdoor shielded cabling that brings in every channel and subchannel except PBS (don't care) and channel 24. So, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, CW, ION, TRBC's station and every corresponding sub channel. In addition the signal on each is excellent, and never falters even during the rain. So, it would stand to reason that Liberty's station would be an easy pick up... however at most I can get is pixalated green, and often just "can't find signal." Any ideas? I'd love to be able to watch/record Liberty games, but to no avail so far.
According to the map, 24 is being broadcast from south of Smith Mountain Lake and southwest from your location and the other channels are broadcasting from either Bedford or a hair past Roanoke, in a western direction.

Based on that, I'd say if you could move your antenna so that it faced further Southwest, you'd probably get 24.
Ah, gotcha. I just checked on the FCC's website for signal strength, and it seems that besides the direction, channel 24 is about 50-75% less powerful than the others. You'd think for a flagship marketing tool, Liberty would invest and bump up the power (or locate it to an area where people who live 5 minutes from LU can actually receive the signal).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
This thread isn't what I thought this thread was about......
By #10
Registration Days Posts
When we ditched Direct we were able to get 14 channels off an indoor ant without having to move it. It take a little tweeking to find the ideal spot for it. Picture is excellent. Only downside is no ESPN. $90 for cable and internet really isn't a bad price tho'
By rhezick
Purple Haize wrote:This thread isn't what I thought this thread was about......
Hahahahaha
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
#10 wrote:When we ditched Direct we were able to get 14 channels off an indoor ant without having to move it. It take a little tweeking to find the ideal spot for it. Picture is excellent. Only downside is no ESPN. $90 for cable and internet really isn't a bad price tho'
Get Sling TV if you want sports. Well as long as you don't have a data cap on your internet that is
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]