This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
....because we can only read at the beach.

Any reading lists for the summer?

I'm still trying to finish up R Scott Bakker's 'Prince of Nothing' trilogy, but I'm really dragging my feet.
Hoping to get through the following soon:
'A Gried Sanctified' by Richard Baxter/JI Packer
'God is Impassible and Impassioned: Toward a Theology of Divine Emotion' by Rob Lister
If I'm lucky, I'll get to 'What is Marriage: Man and Woman: A Defense' by Girgis/Anderson
At work I'm listening to 'What is the Mission of the Church' by Kevin DeYoung and 'The Explicit Gospel' by Matt Chandler.

I need to work some history in there. Anyone read any of the Oxford History of the United States books? I was going to get 'What Hath God Wraught' about the mid-1800's and didn't realize it was part of a whole collection of the US' history. I've got them on my to-buy list, but it's gonna take a while.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
So far I've got:
  • Duel with the Devil: The True Story of How Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr Teamed Up to Take on America's First Sensational Murder Mystery by Paul Collins
    The Creedal Imperative by Carl Trueman
I need to get those done ASAP so I can get reviews written. I also just got a copy of GIMP 2.8 For Photographers, but that's not exactly summer reading. I'm also reading Real Life by James Choung, but that's on the back burner until I get the other two done. I may be using it for a series at church, though.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I read all the time so its hard to label what is and isn't Summer reading. I will say I enjoyed the first 2 books in Ken Follets new Triology, Fall of the Giants and Winter of the World. Also Jeff Shahaara is coming out with some new stuff that I look forward to reading.
If you like Post Apocolypse type stuff I really like John O'Briens work and D.J. Molles first 3 books.
I enjoy reading 'new' authors whose books are <$5 on Nook and Kindle but that's just me.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
My dad is dumping a slew of books on me as he downsizes his library. Right now I am working my way through William Bennett's America: The Last Best Hope books. I'm most enjoying the Biblical reference books he dropped on me that are awesome resources for my Sunday morning lessons. Yeah, I know. I lead an exceedingly adventurous life. Haha
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Im looking for some reading myself. Anyone have any books I could borrow that you would recommend?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus, in regards to your opening, you do realize I live at the beach, right? :P

Yes, 2 years later, I'm still reading Condleeza Rice's "No Higher Honor." Keeps me entertained when flying to/from Buffalo (or Orlando - or to Orlando to get to Buffalo). Also working my way thru the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy (My partner appreciates this even though its given us nothing new to try... yet).

On my "to get to," list:
CS Lewis' space trilogy
The Casual Vacancy
Damascus Countdown
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Im looking for some reading myself. Anyone have any books I could borrow that you would recommend?
Horton hears a who!
Where the Wild Things Are
One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish
The Very Hungry Caterpillar

I kid... Sorry - it was just a softball;)
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:ALUmnus, in regards to your opening, you do realize I live at the beach, right? :P

Yes, 2 years later, I'm still reading Condleeza Rice's "No Higher Honor." Keeps me entertained when flying to/from Buffalo (or Orlando - or to Orlando to get to Buffalo). Also working my way thru the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy (My partner appreciates this even though its given us nothing new to try... yet).

On my "to get to," list:
CS Lewis' space trilogy
The Casual Vacancy
Damascus Countdown
Any of these available on VHS?
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
i don't know why anyone would waste more than a minute reading that tripe. outside of the juvenile and mentally retarded content, its basically a book of blog/text speak crap from a literary standpoint.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I'm reading Those Guys Have All The Fun. It's the oral history of ESPN. It's been really entertaining.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Are any of y'all Kindle fans (the books, not necessarily the device)? I have picked up a number of books for $1.99 (or less) recently. Here are a few of the better ones:

The Professor and the Madman (About a civil war physician vet who lost his marbles thinking the Irish were after him, murdered a young father in the UK, spent most of his like in a mad house, cut off his manliness, but was one of the leading contributors to the Oxford English Dictionary).

The Hangman's Daughter Series:
  • The Hangman's Daughter
    The Beggar King
    The Dark Monk
C.S. Lewis Space Trilogy.

The Complete Stories (Flannery O'Connor)

The Great Omission (Dallas Willard)
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: The Professor and the Madman (About a civil war physician vet who lost his marbles thinking the Irish were after him, murdered a young father in the UK, spent most of his like in a mad house, cut off his manliness, but was one of the leading contributors to the Oxford English Dictionary).
I read that one a while back in dead tree format and enjoyed it a lot.
By NotAJerry
Registration Days Posts
Al Mohler posts his summer reading list every year. Here's the current one: http://www.albertmohler.com/2013/06/07/ ... d-reading/

I'm working through Omivore's Dilemma and Great Expectations right now. I'm also re-reading The Watchmen. I've got a ton of stuff loaded up on my Kindle and haven't really set a plan for what's next since my recreational reading is going to get ramped down for about 5 years while I work on my Ph.D.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
New book, interesting read:

It's Dangerous To Believe
By Mary Eberstadt

About the Book

Mary Eberstadt, “one of the most acute and creative social observers of our time,” (Francis Fukuyama) shines a much-needed spotlight on a disturbing trend in American society: discrimination against traditional religious belief and believers, who are being aggressively pushed out of public life by the concerted efforts of militant secularists.
In It’s Dangerous to Believe, Mary Eberstadt documents how people of faith—especially Christians who adhere to traditional religious beliefs—face widespread discrimination in today’s increasingly secular society. Eberstadt details how recent laws, court decisions, and intimidation on campuses and elsewhere threaten believers who fear losing their jobs, their communities, and their basic freedoms solely because of their convictions. They fear that their religious universities and colleges will capitulate to aggressive secularist demands. They fear that they and their families will be ostracized or will have to lose their religion because of mounting social and financial penalties for believing. They fear they won’t be able to maintain charitable operations that help the sick and feed the hungry.
Is this what we want for our country?
Religious freedom is a fundamental right, enshrined in the First Amendment. With It’s Dangerous to Believe Eberstadt calls attention to this growing bigotry and seeks to open the minds of secular liberals whose otherwise good intentions are transforming them into modern inquisitors. Not until these progressives live up to their own standards of tolerance and diversity, she reminds us, can we build the inclusive society America was meant to be.
Book Description
Religious freedom is under assault today as never before. A country founded on freedom of speech and religious belief is being changed from within by activists hostile to both. Is this what we want America to be?
Religious freedom is a fundamental right, enshrined in the First Amendment. In It’s Dangerous to Believe, author and critic Mary Eberstadt documents how those who adhere to traditional religious beliefs—especially Christians—face widespread discrimination in today’s increasingly secular society.
For holding “wrong” opinions on flashpoint issues like birth control, abortion, and same-sex marriage, people of faith are being publicly attacked and demonized by aggressive anti-religious activists in an effort to drive them out of public life and cripple their institutions. Examples from across the country and elsewhere of self-appointed adversaries undermining believers in the workplace, intervening in faith-based charity efforts, and interfering in religious education reveal nothing less than a targeted assault on faith itself. Eberstadt writes to call attention to this underreported campaign and argues that it is a classic moral panic reminiscent of the Salem witch trials and the McCarthyism Red Scare of the 1950s.
Eberstadt reveals how recent laws, court decisions, and intimidation on campuses and elsewhere increasingly threaten believers’ freedoms of speech and action. They fear losing their livelihoods, their communities, and their basic constitutional liberties solely because of their convictions. They fear that their religious universities and colleges will capitulate to aggressive secularist demands. They fear that they and their families will be ostracized and that they won’t be able to maintain charitable operations that help the sick and feed the hungry.
In this spirited and powerfully argued manifesto, Eberstadt calls attention to today’s growing bigotry—and seeks to open the minds of secularists and progressives to the injustices being committed against believers by ideologues turned modern inquisitors. Citing titans of authority ranging from Thomas Jefferson to Martin Luther King Jr. and other eminent defenders of the open society, she builds the case that America will become truly inclusive if and only if the antagonists of religious faith live up to their own standards of tolerance and diversity.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
:lol: It's the only thread I could find. I thought we had a later version, but my feeble attempt to find it probably failed. Oh well, 2013 was a good year. And at least it's still summer - for a few more days anyway.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Read on airplanes:
You Can't Send a Duck to Eagle School
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
The Sun Also Rises
Private London
An Imperceptible Spark
Several more that I can't remember...
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
if you haven't read the mistborn trilogy, do yourself a favor and grab them.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:if you haven't read the mistborn trilogy, do yourself a favor and grab them.
Brief details?
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:if you haven't read the mistborn trilogy, do yourself a favor and grab them.
Sorry, but until the series is completely finished, I'm going nowhere near it. I've learned my lesson.
By bballfan84
Registration Days Posts
i got the new bill o reilly book..killing the rising son. It is awesome! The war in the pacific is sometimes overlooked because of all the hitler/stalin craziness in Europe. It is well written and does a good job hopping from a macro look at the war to telling individual stories
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]