This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/ ... SECTION=US
(of course, we all know how well we can trust the French)

France Looks Into bin Laden Death Report

PARIS (AP) -- The French defense ministry on Saturday called for an internal investigation of the leak of an intelligence document that raises the possibility that Osama bin Laden may have died of typhoid in Pakistan a month ago but said the report of the death remained unverified.

"The information defused this morning by the l'Est Republicain newspaper concerning the possible death of Osama bin Laden cannot be confirmed," a Defense Ministry statement said.

The daily newspaper for the Lorraine region in eastern France printed what it described as a confidential document from the French foreign intelligence service DGSE citing an uncorroborated report from Saudi secret services that the leader of the al-Qaida terror network had died.

The contents of the document, dated Sept. 21, or Thursday, were not confirmed by French or other intelligence sources. However, the DGSE transmitted the note to President Jacques Chirac and other officials, the newspaper said.

Defense Minister Michele Alliot-Marie "has demanded an investigation be carried out of this leak," a ministry statement said, adding that transmission of the confidential document could risk punishment.

Defense Ministry spokesman Jean-Francois Bureau, clarifying the statement, said that the DGSE document exists but that its contents - that bin Laden is allegedly dead - cannot be confirmed.

The DGSE, or Direction Generale des Services Exterieurs, indicated that its information came from a single source.

"According to a reliable source, Saudi security services are now convinced that Osama bin Laden is dead," said the intelligence report.

There have been periodic reports of bin Laden's illness or death in recent years but none has been proven accurate.

According to this document, Saudi security services were pursuing further details, notably the place of his burial.

"The chief of al-Qaida was a victim of a severe typhoid crisis while in Pakistan on August 23, 2006," the document says. His geographic isolation meant that medical assistance was impossible, the French report said, adding that his lower limbs were allegedly paralyzed. On Sept. 4, Saudi security services had their first information on bin Laden's alleged death, the unconfirmed document reported.

In Pakistan, a senior official of that country's top spy agency, the ISI or Directorate of Inter-Service Intelligence, said he had no information to confirm bin Laden's whereabouts or that he might be dead. The official said he believed the report could be fabricated. The official was not authorized to speak publicly on the topic and spoke on condition of anonymity.

U.S. Embassy officials in Pakistan and Afghanistan also said they could not confirm the French report.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
As soon as I saw French, I quit reading. They have no clue. While in France a few years ago, I visited a Museum for French war hero's, it was in a closet. :D :D :D
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
still, if true- that would be wonderful news. Of all the inglorious, non-martyr ways to go- we need to broadcast that one in Arabic all over the world: "God struck the infidel down- he died a parapalegic, in the middle of nowhere, and there aint no virgins waiting for him where he's going"
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:still, if true- that would be wonderful news. Of all the inglorious, non-martyr ways to go- we need to broadcast that one in Arabic all over the world: "God struck the infidel down- he died a parapalegic, in the middle of nowhere, and there aint no virgins waiting for him where he's going"
how about you get on tv and say that....i for one would avoid that...
By bozlady
Registration Days Posts
FoxNews was talking about it this morning and although it would be great, they'll take anything they hear from the French media with a grain of salt so coverage was not extensive at all.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
While i am by no means a fan of the French (although I do really enjoy their bread, fries and kissing) the French Intelligence agency is pretty good. Bin Laden has been rumored dead for awhile. As I look out my window at the Black Helicopters, I often think we captured him quite some time ago and are just "assertively questioning" him. BUT if he is dead, they better find a body or else he will be like an evil Islamic version of Elvis.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Who dies of Typhoid anyway? He's not in Oregon Trail. I wonder how many here get that reference.
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Who dies of Typhoid anyway? He's not in Oregon Trail. I wonder how many here get that reference.
The intelligence community is saying that he was extremely under-nourished as a result of not being able to properly time hitting the space bar. All the buffalo ran past him in a straight line and completely unharmed.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I freaking love that game.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:I freaking love that game.
Haven't played the Oregon Trail since elementary school.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Nope, not a clue
Election 2022 and 2024

The swing states will decide the election just l[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]