This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
i have 31 channels on my computer. HBO, sESPN, and many more... im happy
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Yea, that's spread like wildfire on campus.
By mrmacphisto
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:No doubt about them taking shots at Pat Robertson and Christians in general. The "Vicotoria Jackson" character is a sympathetic one though. She is not a dolt or a boring preachy type or even extreme.
That's one thing about Sorkin that I like. While it's no secret where he lies politically and religiously, he does at least attempt to maintain some balance (which is a good idea when you're trying to build an audience). Even on Sports Night, he had one character speaking out against another in response to their Falwell jokes.
By mrmacphisto
Registration Days Posts
El Scorcho wrote:
mrmacphisto wrote:Anyone know how to connect to the server on campus with the TV episodes? I have a Mac.
If you can give me a server name or IP address, I can help you.
I'm not sure what server it is, but I think it used to be called "ONE" or something like that. Maybe SJ or another student would know? Anyone?
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Have you tried viidoo.com? I don't think it works for a mac but it's possible.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
one isn't up anymore. the guy who ran one was on my hall and my prayer leader, he is now married so of course off campus and so it is no longer up and running....i donated a hard drive for that effort though....
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:viidoo.com
I hope you guys are using this while you can becuase I can't see it being up much longer. These sites come and go but only one has ever worked and it's because it's based in another country. I'm pretty sure they're copyright infringing or something like that.
By FlamingYalieWahoo
Registration Days Posts
Just learned more valuable intel about Aaron Sorkin's reason for having a Christian as a main character on Studio 60; he dated one - Kristin Chenoweth. See this review and discussion from beliefnet -

http://www.beliefnet.com/blogs/idolchat ... stian.html.

Monday, September 18, 2006
"Studio 60" & the Not-So-Crazy Christian
Sure, we're happy to see Matthew Perry return to television, especially alongside those enjoyable "West Wing" folks like Bradley Whitford and Timothy Busfield. But the biggest reason many of us will be tuning in tonight to the premiere of "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip"--NBC's new behind-the-scenes look at a fictional late-night sketch show--will be the man who puts the words in their mouths: writer/producer Aaron Sorkin. And I am happy to say that tonight's premiere of "Studio 60" provides Sorkin aficionados with great acting, lush sets, and the joyous return of "walk and talks"--witty banter matched with long tracking shots that are typical of the storytelling style Sorkin and his directing partner Tommy Schlamme have perfected.

Tonight's pilot episode (10.00 p.m., NBC) finds the "Saturday Night Live"-style comedy sketch show "Studio 60" in more than a bit of trouble this particular Friday night. The fictional NBS network's standards and practices rep is pulling the plug on the intended opening sketch, intriguingly titled "Crazy Christians." This leads to an on-air "Network"-inspired tirade by the show's producer, which, of course, gets him fired and leads to major national news coverage. In an effort at damage control, the new network president, Jordan McDeere (Amanda Peet), tracks down the famous writing/producing duo of Matt Albie and Dannie Tripp (Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford) to offer them a chance to return to "Studio 60" after being fired from the show a few years before.

But just as Sorkin's "Sports Night" was not simply about a sports broadcasting team, and "The West Wing" was not only about people working in the White House, "Studio 60" is about much more than the cast of a floundering comedy show. Whether it's references to Pat Robertson as a bigot or psycho-religious cults who thrive on boycotts, Sorkin is clearly taking some thought-provoking shots at the cultural and spiritual divide in America. But he's doing it with the help of a Christian.

That's right: Imagine my surprise when I found out that "Studio 60" has, at the center of its cast, a character who is clever, funny--and just happens to be a devout Christian without being completely annoying, as so many TV Christians are. Harriet, a longtime cast member and ex-girlfriend of Matt Albie, is a thinly-veiled homage of some kind to Sorkin' s ex-girlfriend, Kristin Chenoweth, a Christian who became a Broadway star and was also a "West Wing" regular in its last season. But that doesn't dampen my excitement over the possibility of a primetime show portraying a Christian without resorting to stereotypes. A perfect example of this is when Harriet defends the "Crazy Christian" sketch, while the less-tolerant Albie confesses that he let Harriet's appearance on Robertson's "The 700 Club" become justification for ending their tumultuous relationship.

All indications point to Harriet's faith continuing to play a significant part in future episodes of the show. And while I am not convinced that Harriet will continue to serve as an accurate mouthpiece for us moderate evangelical types, I am looking forward to the spirited--and spiritual--discussions "Studio 60" is going to generate around watercoolers everywhere this season.

posted by Kris Rasmussen @ 5:34 PM | Comments (3)
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
krh44 wrote:If they would have allowed TVs in dorms when I was at LU i oould not have finished school!
one of several reasons I didn't.

(we had an old black and white "computer monitor" that we used for our Commodore. I'm not kidding about either part of that statement. A real Commodore- and no, I'm not explaining what that is. Think Apple II-e, only older. No 5 1/4" floppy on that baby)
By FlamingYalieWahoo
Registration Days Posts
Back in the old days when Dorm 3 on the circle was male - I think it changed sexes at some point in time - my RAs snuck a black and white TV into their room so we/they could watch the world series. One of them was a fan of whatever team was playing (sorry I'm not a real fan but hey it was TV). They put it on the storage shelf above the door and a number of guys crowded into their room, sitting on their furniture and on the floor looking up at our momentary bit of normalcy. (Yes there were TVs in the lounges but this was after normal lounge hours plus there had to be agreement about what was on - always a struggle.) Anyway - mid way through out little escapade the Resident Supervisor - Ed Gomes (now football team chaplin) came to visit the RAs - he walked in and here we all are sitting around staring at the door. Of course some one had immediately jumped up and turned the sound down when he knocked on the door. Ed stood right under the TV for several minutes and never figured it out. We told him we were praying. I watched Escape from New York and several Pink Panther movies in that room - someone in the dorm did something with the TRBC AV department and had access to a TV/VCR on a cart. Those stolen moments of TV were the best! This is only fair because after having watched almost the entire NC State v. Houston NCAA championship game in a lounge (a miracle in itself) - we were chased out with just minutes to go - so I had to "listen" to Lorenzo Charles Charles Monroe make the final shot on the radio. I had watched every Cardiac Pack game of that year's tournament over Spring Break.
Last edited by FlamingYalieWahoo on September 22nd, 2006, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Jasmen8182
Registration Days Posts
Office and Earl are on my waste-of-time list; since a few of you mentioned office, maybe I'll look again-naw, too many other shows and I do get addicted, then kick myself for wasting time.
NCIS and House are now on the same time :( -we'll have to use one TV to tape the other show.
I didn't realize they moved Numbers to Fridays- aside from the action, I've gotta find out if the brothers get "action." Lost won't be on until Oct.4.
"...good tv"-South Park??????? I dated a guy who watched it regularly and was finally offended when they busted on the mentally challenged (his son is) while he also commented they hit everyone. Personally, I can't sit there while they bust on Jesus and kill Kenny....
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
PAMedic

Commodore computers were GREAT. I had one...they did have a 5 1/4 disk drive, the 1541.

Later, they had a 3 1/2 drive, the 1581.

The games blew away the nintendo games...games like TV sports football, 4th and inches, compare Guantlet on the Commodore vs. original Nintendo, no comparison.

Also, later they had the Amiga...and the Sega Genesis was really a rip off of the Amiga with a cartridge port. You could even use the commodore video cables on a Genesis to get RCA outs, all you had to do was turn the cable upside down, they just reversed the pin-outs, but since it was a circle, you could still use it. :)
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
FlamingYalieWahoo wrote:- This is only fair because after having watched almost the entire NC State v. Houston NCAA championship game in a lounge (a miracle in itself) - we were chased out with just minutes to go - so I had to "listen" to Charles Monroe make the final shot on the radio. I had watched every Cardiac Pack game of that year's tournament over Spring Break.
His name was Actually Lorenzo Charles. He is my cousin. His Father and my mother are 1st cousins and grew up in the same house.
By FlamingYalieWahoo
Registration Days Posts
As old as I am - I'm surprised I even got "charles" right! That's really cool that he's your cousin - Lorenzo that is. My grandfather was sort of an NC State alum from the 30s. So my extended family members - as opposed to 99.9% of the population of NC - are 'Pack fans. Thanks for the correction.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
No problem. I think you just blended Lorenzo with Rodney Monroe who was the shooting guard that was the ="Fire" to Chris Corchianni's "Ice" in the late 80's.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SCAR That was my favorite back court of the 80's followed by Bruce Dalrymple and Mark Price at Georgia Tech, Guarde Thompson and Antoine Jobert (The Judge) at UM and of course Alford and Smart at IU.
The commodore had NOTHING on the Atari 400 pal

As for TV
THE UNIT - Enough Said!!!!!
Amazing Race - How about the handicapped couple/???
Jerhico- Looks like a TV version of Damnation Alley
Battlestar Galactica - All I need is more of 6
DR Who - Not sure when this ramps up again, but BBC is airing last season.

Speaking of BBC, did anyone else happen to catch the series Life On Mars?? It was outstanding, couldn't believe how good it was. Of course it took about 5 minutes to get use to the accents, but it was one of the best TV shows I have ever seen. And NO it has nothing to do with actual LIFE on MARS. IT was a David Bowie song that had a lot of significance to the first episode.

Prison Break is back on but I don't like it as much as season one. The summer also had some good shows with the new season of MONK and one of my new favorite shows PSYCH. Did anyone catch those? Entourage was good but not great, can't believe they fired Arie.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Has anyone watched The Class? I missed it last week and so far I've only seen 8 minutes of it this week but it's pretty funny. It has potential.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I enjoyed Studio 60. It's my new show at 10 on Mondays.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
The Class and Studio were the only 2 shows I watched last night other than Monday night football.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
For those of us on campus, tvunetworks.com is a lifesaver...I now have Monday Night Football :D
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote: (we had an old black and white "computer monitor" that we used for our Commodore. I'm not kidding about either part of that statement. A real Commodore- and no, I'm not explaining what that is.
-- Go 64 [return]

-- Load * [return]

-- Run [return]

Fond memories. :cry:
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I adore my 64, my Commodore 64. I had the C-64C .... the one with the built-in 9" color monitor. I spent enormous amounts of time on that coimputer after graduating from a Kaypro II.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
Oh yeah?

Well when I was growing up we used to slide the beads across the abacus...and we thought it was fun! :-P

I actually started playing with Apple IIe's in the third grade, and got my Apple IIc shortly thereafter. I know that doesn't win me any sort of old hag contest, but I do miss those machines. My mom gave my IIc away without consulting me a couple of years ago. :evil:
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
lucky dog- my high school upgraded from the Apple IIe to the Apple IIc when I was in 11th or 12th grade, so I didn't get more than 1 semester on the NEW technology.

we still programmed in BASIC , KOBOL and FORTRAN(?) back then
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The IIe came out my freshman year at LU and my friends brought them to Lynhcburg. It was a nice step up from the IIc but it nearly was the end of Apple after the Mac initially didn't take off. Obviously Apple is doing just fine today and after the Amiga bombed whatever became of Commodore?
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]