This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By bozlady
Registration Days Posts
It was a gorgeous, sunny dry day in Lynchburg, around low 70's.....just perfect, for a while that is. I was working in the Hancock Athletic Center Football Office with the previous coaching staff. All the coaches were in a coaches meeting. I was sitting at my desk doing some work when Michelle our receptionist came in my office and apologized for interrupting but then said her mom just called her to tell her that an airplane had just crashed into the WTC in NYC. We immediately tried to get any news site online but couldn't because they were all generating so much traffic by then. We then turned on the radio the whole time thinking, should we interrupt the coaches to let them know? Well no sooner were we thinking about it when they were finally dismissed from their meeting. As soon as Ken walked in I told him and he immediately went to his phone to call his wife to check on her dad to see if he was okay because he worked in the Financial District in NYC (thankfully he was ok). A couple of hours later, Dr. Falwell asked that the whole Liberty community - students/faculty/staff get together in the Vines Center for a prayer service. How could such a beautiful day in central VA turn out to be ones of it's worse.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
Like ALUmnus, I too was in a drak room developing X Rays when another student ran in to tell us a plane had hit the frist WTC. I came out and I saw the second plane hit. Everyone was looking around at each other in horror. I went outside to cll my wife, who was then my gf, and a group of F 14's flew over my head so fast , I couldn't keep up with them. I live only 45 minutes from DC and when the thrid plane hit the Pentagon, I feared the worst. I too aalos had a feeling the draft was going to be reinstated. I will never forget driving past the Pentagon, going to the candle light vigil to pray. It still makes me tear up to this day.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
As Im sure most of you guys are aware, today is Sept 11. I still remember the story of where I was and how I found out like it was just yesterday...

I was at Hargrave Military Academy and was in a weghtlifting class. Our teacher always had music going (or something) down there and one of the other cadets thought he heard someone on the radio say that someone had flown two planes into the World Trade Center. Most of us laughed it off and figured he was messing around (as we were apt to do). Well after class I cleaned up and put my uniform back on and an announcement went out for a formation on Company Street. Since it wasnt mess II I thought that was a tad unusual, and then they called a school circle (where everybody closes in together) and that was when Col Baker told us about it. In my English class right after that we watched the video and spent a good few minutes wondering if the draft would be instituted...it really cast a pall over the rest of the day. We had a parade to honor the dead that Friday
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
(bumped for BJ)
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
thanks...any way we could merge my thread into this one?
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
I was at the women's health services with my wife. We had 2 more months before our first child was born. Nurse came in and said a plane just crashed into a building in NY - we went into the doctors office where he had a TV and watch the second plane crash into the building.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:thanks...any way we could merge my thread into this one?
How about if we just post your post here.
BJWilliams wrote:As Im sure most of you guys are aware, today is Sept 11. I still remember the story of where I was and how I found out like it was just yesterday...

I was at Hargrave Military Academy and was in a weghtlifting class. Our teacher always had music going (or something) down there and one of the other cadets thought he heard someone on the radio say that someone had flown two planes into the World Trade Center. Most of us laughed it off and figured he was messing around (as we were apt to do). Well after class I cleaned up and put my uniform back on and an announcement went out for a formation on Company Street. Since it wasnt mess II I thought that was a tad unusual, and then they called a school circle (where everybody closes in together) and that was when Col Baker told us about it. In my English class right after that we watched the video and spent a good few minutes wondering if the draft would be instituted...it really cast a pall over the rest of the day. We had a parade to honor the dead that Friday
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I was at Hargrave Military Academy. We were in Weightlifting class when the guy over at the lat machine says "Dude, I just heard that a plane hit the World Trade Center" We kinda chuckled because we often would make jokes to lighten the mood. Well we finished and then headed back to barracks. Before our 20 minute break a formation was called. Now we don't normally have a formation during the class day so something had to be up. We were called to a school circle and President Baker (President of Hargrave) told us the news. I went to my English/Critical Reading class and we watched the news for the first half of class...MAJ Leftwich (our teacher) had a tear in his eye because he was a part of Desert Storm back in 1990 and he still I believe had some friends in the military even then.

We had a special ceremony on the parade field that Friday and the seniors and PGs spent about a week talking about what if there was a draft
We could've just put this from earlier in the thread too.
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
Instead of copying BJ's earlier post, you could have just copied your post from 2006 and put it here.
SuperJon wrote:I was sitting in Earth Science that morning. Teh class was downstairs at my school and none of teh classes downstairs had tv's. After that class (9:40), I went upstairs to meet my girlfriend at teh time and she told me we were being attacked. I had no clue what was going on. My next class was a civics and legal issues class. We didn't have a tv in there but teh classroom across the hall did and there wasn't a class in there. My teacher would occasionally go check on what was going off and come back and tell us. She came in and said that teh towers had fell and no one really reacted in any certain way. I didn't realize how big of a deal taht was til I got home and saw it later.

Teh next class was marching band. We went out and practiced like normal after having a little talk. Then my last class of the day was Algebra II and we sat in the dark and listened to teh radio for teh entire hour and a half of class.

That night, I went to church with my girlfriend. The next morning I didn't feel good so I sat and watched CNN the entire morning. I don't think I went to school teh next day either. That Friday I went to school at lunchtime because I wanted to march that night (have to be at school half teh day and all of that stuff). My band director gave one of teh best speeches I have ever heard that day in class. He said that we were teh first sporting event to happen since 9/11. MLB hadn't started playing yet, the NFL hadn't played. That Friday night people were going to be going to games for teh first time since everything happened. The Star Spangled Banner had a completely different meaning that night. He said he wanted us to worry more about what teh song meant than anything else. He had most of teh class crying, especially the guys (remember, we were all worried about teh draft and all of that being reinstated right after it happened). We then practiced teh song multiple times and you could see most people just closing their eyes and playing it. That night we played Elkin HS and got completely killed, but teh Star Spangled Banner was perfect and it felt like it was ok to start to live again.

That Saturday night, Rudy Guliani started on Saturday Night Live in one of teh most memorable ways ever. Him and Michaels just spoke to the audience with firemen and policemen behind them. They said it was ok to laugh again, and we believed them, and then I laughed and finally got a good night of sleep.
By Liberty4Life
Registration Days Posts
On September 10th, 2001, my roommate and I were passively watching "Monday Night Football". At some point in the game, Broncos receiver Ed McCaffrey leaped to catch a pass, and as he did, a Giants defender collided with him. McCaffrey suffered a compound fracture in his leg on the play (and it was a season-ending injury).

My roommate and I saw the injury again and again on replays, and we (being so philosophically-minded), noted how fragile life was -- how McCaffrey, seconds earlier in the huddle, never knew that his life was about to change in mere moments.

And that was on September 10th.

===

I woke up late the following morning. I had a 10:50 class, so I wasn't about to wake up early. The phone rang at 10 or so, and I ignored it. I took a shower and I walked to class, and on my way out of the dorm, I saw a few students watching TV. I ignored it, figuring we had bombed Iraq or something.

I was waiting in the hall for class (my teacher hadn't arrived at this point), one of my classmates told me that "the other one just fell down". And that's when I first found out about 9/11.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
The toughest thing about that day was trying to act like I was calm while I was calming down my students. I had flown from Cinci to Atlanta the day before, my wife and month-old daughter were still in Ohio after her grandmother's funeral.

By the next week, most of my students were trying to milk it so that they didn't have to get back to classwork again. "Can't we watch the news some more, Mr. Kelly?"
By JMUDukes
Registration Days Posts
Laying on my couch, sick with pnemonia, watching Dexter's Laboratory. was in 6th grade, remember all of it like it was yesterday. Had no idea anything was different that day until my dad called from work and told my mom to turn on the news. As we flipped on Fox, I can vividly remember seeing another plane approaching the 2nd tower and exploding. That's something that gets implanted into your brain, a horror you can never forget. We just kept the news on the entire day, even after both towers collapsed. I don't think I was mature enough yet to realize what this all meant.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
The weather was eerily similar to today, very cool, clear day. And it was a Tuesday. Walking outside this morning reminded me of it so much. Cannot forget.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
11th grade Biology II Class. That's about all I can remember, that along with the school saying we could leave school early if we wanted. I know I was stuck at school the rest of the day since I didn't have a car and both parents were at work, so probably just ended up watching the news and discussing it in all my classes since obviously no educational stuff was going to get done.
By bluedevilflame
Registration Days Posts
I was in high school walking to history class, intercom system told all students to report to the gymnasium where our principal and staff told us what was going on and classes were cancelled for the rest of the day, went home and watched news coverage all afternoon/night with my family. I'll never forget how scary it was to see the same news coverage on every single channel on the television.
By NotAJerry
Registration Days Posts
I was in Hawaii, on the tiny island of Molokai. I had an old answering machine that you could hang up on and redial before it reset so that it would ring endlessly. A youth pastor friend of mine on the mainland called, hung up, and called again so that it would ring. This was some time shortly after 3am (6 hour time difference from the East Coast during the summer months). I finally answered and he simply yelled into the phone telling me to turn the TV on, didn't matter what channel because it was on all of them, and hung up once I confirmed I was watching. It was surreal to be woken from sleep and immediately try to comprehend what I was seeing. It quickly became a rush to get the word out to the various pastors and youth leaders on the island so we could try to figure out what to do next.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I was on a business trip in Toronto at a movie theatre. I was working on their computers when the theatre manager told me a plane ran into the two towers. I figured it was some small experimental plane that some yahoo was flying around NYC. When I went to his office and watched on the news I could see it was much more than that. The flight home from Toronto had everyone on edge later that week.
Last edited by Yacht Rock on September 11th, 2013, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Amazing to think that when memorial is done - most kids won't even remember this forst hand.

I was at doctors with wife who was pregnant with our first son. Doctor brought us into office to watch on TV -thought a plane just crashed into it and then watch the other plane live crash into the other. I just remember wanted to enlist that day and bring pain to that entire region of the world.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Having the same thought watching these kids read their relatives' names. Many weren't born at the time of the attack.

For those of us that live up here, less than an hour away, it is always in our minds. Maybe you don't think of it every second but it really never leaves.

And I believe it's good to remember every year. Hurts every year but we need to be vigilant of the cost of living in a free society.

This event illustrates what separates the US from the rest of the world.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
I was praying and putting to bed my almost 3 year old son last night and thought about today and the events of 9/11. I cannot imagine what the spouses and children of those who died go through every year. I hope and pray my son or family never has to encounter that.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm […]

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]