This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ECUnited
Registration Days Posts
I and my family were living in Kenya at the time, serving at a missionary boarding school. I was walking home from my office and met a female missionary all in tears, and asked her what was wrong. All she said was, "something tragic just happened in the US, I need to see if my son is okay". I went home and told the wife, I was going back to the Admin building and see if anything was on the satellite TV. Went to the conference room and there were about 5-6 others sitting in stunned silence watching the coverage. Didn't even think about it, but the next day I had two Muslim business men coming to campus to discuss some equipment purchases, and when they arrived they were visibly shaken. I asked them why and they said they actually feared for their lives to come onto a Christian compound after the previous day, and they apologized for the actions of their fellow Muslims. It was a great opportunity to witness to those two and hopefully demonstrate Christ's love as well. Hadn't thought about that encounter for years, thanks for the opportunity to remember that.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Another unfortunate event is all the 9-11 Truthers come back out of the wood work.
And Art Bell is coming back on Sirius/XM.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Another unfortunate event is all the 9-11 Truthers come back out of the wood work.
And Art Bell is coming back on Sirius/XM.
Yeah, but he's cool! I LOVE his show!
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Can't believe I just saw this thread. I was on my way to coach Hamburgs american Lit class in high school. I had been in math the period before and someone walked in and say New york was under some sort of attack. I walked down the hall and got to the classroom and happened to be the first person in the room. Coach hamburg(large bearded wrestling coach) was sitting on a desk staring at the tv that had CNN on. I walked in and sat down on the desk next to him and I'll never forget that mans face when he turned to me and told me we were under attack. I'd never thought i'd ever see that man cry. but he did that day in class. We spent all of class watching CNN. Noone said a word. some cried. Some looked angry. others just stared. it was eerie. I called my dad(who works for CNN) and asked him if he had to go to NYC to cover the story. he told me eventually he would but CNN couldn't get him in a plane because of the obvious. Thankfully he ended up going to DC and covering the Pentagon attack. I think the first time I was able to really feel like life had fallen back into some sort of Normalcy(i don't think it ever really did) was when the yankees played their first game. I loathe the yankees but that night i was a big fan.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
BUMP

http://www.911memorial.org/911-memorial-webcam

9/11 Memorial wrote: Shared publicly - 5:36 AM
#September11

On this day in 2001, the city, the country, and the world united together in the face of unimaginable tragedy. Today, on the 13th anniversary of 9/11, we gather together once again to honor and remember the 2,983 men, women, and children who were killed in the attacks of 2001 and 1993. As part of the commemoration, please observe the following moments of silence:

8:46 a.m.: Hijackers deliberately crash American Airlines Flight 11 into floors 93 through 99 of the North Tower.
9:03 a.m.: Hijackers deliberately crash United Airlines Flight 175 into floors 77 through 85 of the South Tower.
9:37 a.m.: Hijackers deliberately crash American Airlines Flight 77 into the Pentagon.
9:59 a.m.: The South Tower collapses.
10:03 a.m.: After learning of the other attacks, passengers on United Airlines Flight 93 launch a counterattack on hijackers aboard their plane to try to seize control of the aircraft. In response, the hijackers crash the plane into an empty field near Shanksville, P.A.
10:28 a.m.: The North Tower collapses.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
reading the names in chron order in NYC now...

if you're able try to catch a couple minutes of this.

puts things in perspective
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
*** BUMP ***

long day yesterday but thank you LU for remembering

... NEVER FORGET ...

thx @LUADJeff instagram
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
couple tweets ...

https://twitter.com/LibertyMil
LibertyU Military ‏@LibertyMil · Sep 11
Praying for those who lost a loved one in the events that occurred on and as a result of Sep. 11, 2001. #NeverForget
https://twitter.com/LibertyU
Liberty University ‏@LibertyU · 24h24 hours ago
"There are people who when everyone else is running out they are running in. We are grateful for them. Thank you!" @davidnasser #neverforget
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: September 11th, 2006, 5:16 pm well it was in 2001 the year after I graduated high school, I was basically in a stage in my life that I had no clue what I wanted. I was working third shift at a gas station and living at home. Naturally at the time of the attacks I was sleeping. When this first plane hit the first tower my mom came into my room and said a plane had crashed into a buidling in new york. I was half out of it and not really completely there and thought it was just some minor accident or something. My mom then came in and said another plane had crashed into the second tower and told me she was starting to get scared. I woke up and came out to the living room and watched the tv not believing what I was seeing. The local news would cut in from time to time and say that Kennedy Space Center was a potential target. My dad works for Lockheed Martin at the air force base right next to the KSC so naturally my mom was scared. I spent most of the time trying to calm my mom down and tell her it would be ok. For a while they weren't letting anybody leave the base, but finally they did and my dad showed up early afternoon.

After all that was finished I began to think about what had happend. I was angry. I couldn't believe people would be so cowardly and go after people that had nothing to do with anything. I just couldn't understand it. The next day I went to the Air Force recruiting office to talk to the officer there and was so close to joining. I prayed about it and for whatever reason I felt as if God did not want me to go.

It was a crazy 24 hours, i was angry for a while then that just turned into sadness and hoping we would unite and do something about that....of course we were united for maybe a month and now 5 years later we are more devided then I think we have ever been before. Its sad really.....
I can't believe it has been nearly 20 years since this tragic day. So much has changed since then. I will never forget that day and the unity seen that day amongst Americans that I had never seen before that and haven't seen since. I have been to the pentagon 3 or 4 times in recent years for the remembrance ceremony and it made me emotional every time.

I may not have joined the Air Force that day, but several years later I ended up signing up. I point back to that day as what started that desire to serve.

Several years have past since this thread was started so I thought it would be great to hear your 9/11 stories.

Let us not forget some of the amazing sacrifices seen that day and the days that followed.

I look forward to reading your stories.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Working in aviation made it very personal. I was off duty that day and my parents were alive and visiting. I was on the tractor working in the yard at my new home. Mom came out on the porch and said that a plane had hit a building in New York. I figured it was a small sight seeing aircraft. A few minutes later she came out again visibly upset, she said another one had hit a building. I shut off the tractor and said to her, we are under attack.

One thing that's eerily similar today is half our commercial aviation fleet is grounded again and the industry is reeling. A virus from China this time :cry:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
The sad story - Student coming up to me a few days after the event. Wanted an extension on an assignment. When I asked why she said that her dad was in NYC and they hadn’t heard from him. I told her not to come back until he’d been found and things were squared away. He was found a week later. He’d just been wondering the streets of Manhattan with no memory

The funny - Leaving Campus Jerry’s suburban cut me off going the wrong way down a one way street. But I mean he’s Jerry, what are you going to do, right? So I pull back out and here comes another Suburban. Well I have nowhere to turn off and we are stuck nose to nose. The driver keeps honking and waving for me to back up. I wake for him to back up. Then someone leans forward pointing his finger at me through the window yelling at me to back up. By now there are a bunch of cars behind me. So I “explain” that “it’s not my fault you can’t read signs” and didn’t move. He eventually backed up and turned around. But hey, it was Danny Lovett, what are you gonna do, right?
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
At Ultrasound Appointment with wife. First Child. Doctor called us into his office - watched it on his TV.
By LU 57
In a tower in the Financial District in Baltimore. Did a lot of rubbernecking out the window praying there were no planes headed our way.

When they finally closed the markets after the first tower collapsed, I got in my car and headed home on 83 North. My wife called me to tell me the second tower had collapsed. Not sure I have ever been that numb.

After watching wall-to-wall coverage for days, I went with a buddy to play golf to try and get our minds on something else. It was the strangest thing to stand on a tee box and not hear or see a plane in the sky.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
20 years. Unbelievable that it has been 20 years. Remembering those who lost family and co-workers that day and the days that followed. Especially thinking of @PAmedic and any others who have had a more personal experience with events that day.

Can not believe it's been 20 years.
LU 57, PAmedic liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
The sad story - Student coming up to me a few days after the event. Wanted an extension on an assignment. When I asked why she said that her dad was in NYC and they hadn’t heard from him. I told her not to come back until he’d been found and things were squared away. He was found a week later. He’d just been wondering the streets of Manhattan with no memory

The funny - Leaving Campus Jerry’s suburban cut me off going the wrong way down a one way street. But I mean he’s Jerry, what are you going to do, right? So I pull back out and here comes another Suburban. Well I have nowhere to turn off and we are stuck nose to nose. The driver keeps honking and waving for me to back up. I wake for him to back up. Then someone leans forward pointing his finger at me through the window yelling at me to back up. By now there are a bunch of cars behind me. So I “explain” that “it’s not my fault you can’t read signs” and didn’t move. He eventually backed up and turned around. But hey, it was Danny Lovett, what are you gonna do, right?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: September 11th, 2021, 10:14 am 20 years. Unbelievable that it has been 20 years. Remembering those who lost family and co-workers that day and the days that followed. Especially thinking of @PAmedic and any others who have had a more personal experience with events that day.

Can not believe it's been 20 years.
Tried watching some video of it this year. Still can’t get through the radio calls. Esp FDNY. Too hard to listen to them.

Like I’m right back there that morning.
Maybe some day.
thepostman liked this
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I think I've retold the story a couple times in this thread but the memory of walking around Hargrave Military Academy that day after watching the towers collapse on TV in class, then all the discussion among the seniors and postgrads in the days following...and the fact that we faced Fishburne Military School that Friday...so vivid every time September 11 rolls around
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]