This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
from a community standpoint, 4 year death sentence.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:What State Farm really meant by supporting the victims is that they need to protect their public image. I don't blame them, but lets call it for what it is.
+1

I'm just giving my thoughts here but I love all these people who hate Paterno so much that the hatred for all things Penn State had gone completely irrational...

It's kind of like, "I hate Paterno and Penn State so much, let's ruin the lives of all the kids who grew up dreaming of playing for Penn State!"
By NotAJerry
Registration Days Posts
4 year death penalty would have added legitimacy to the thoughts that they'd get dumped out of the B1G. The current penalties are very tough, but they may be able to recover within a decade. Kill everything for 4 years and they may never recover.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:
thepostman wrote:What State Farm really meant by supporting the victims is that they need to protect their public image. I don't blame them, but lets call it for what it is.
+1

I'm just giving my thoughts here but I love all these people who hate Paterno so much that the hatred for all things Penn State had gone completely irrational...

It's kind of like, "I hate Paterno and Penn State so much, let's ruin the lives of all the kids who grew up dreaming of playing for Penn State!"

Hatred? I think it is more the hyprocrisy that JoePa ran a clean program.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
i can understand some defensiveness on penn st fans part. joepa was so beloved for so long i think this will take some time from as a coping mechanism so i give initial outrage over alleged joepa hatred a pass.

the problem is that there never had even really been this outspoken dislike for joe pa they seem to be talking about. around the big 10, he was well respected by fans of other teams. i assume that was the case around div 1 football across the country as well. obviously the last few years, he had been given a hard time for sticking around when it was clear he was just a figurehead for the football dept and wasn't really "coaching" anymore but i would confuse that with "hatred".

i keep hearing this, 99 great things but 1 bad thing and its tarnished the 99 good things he did. this is asinine. the weight of that 1 thing should bare much more on his legacy than each of those 99 things. unless more information comes to light and the freeh report is wrong, he was pretty instrumental in the coverup.

o brien is saying all the right things now, but he'll be gone in 3 years.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:i can understand some defensiveness on penn st fans part. joepa was so beloved for so long i think this will take some time from as a coping mechanism so i give initial outrage over alleged joepa hatred a pass.

the problem is that there never had even really been this outspoken dislike for joe pa they seem to be talking about. around the big 10, he was well respected by fans of other teams. i assume that was the case around div 1 football across the country as well. obviously the last few years, he had been given a hard time for sticking around when it was clear he was just a figurehead for the football dept and wasn't really "coaching" anymore but i would confuse that with "hatred".

i keep hearing this, 99 great things but 1 bad thing and its tarnished the 99 good things he did. this is asinine. the weight of that 1 thing should bare much more on his legacy than each of those 99 things. unless more information comes to light and the freeh report is wrong, he was pretty instrumental in the coverup.

You think so? I'm not sure seeing as his contract was automatically extended due to the sanctions.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Is Penn State even going to be in the position to HIRE a coach? He will leave before they can fire him, that is for sure.
FIFY
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Uh, yeah. No coach has ever been canned while under contract. Wait, what?
No doubt. I just see him waiting it out. We shall see.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
RubberMallet wrote:i can understand some defensiveness on penn st fans part. joepa was so beloved for so long i think this will take some time from as a coping mechanism so i give initial outrage over alleged joepa hatred a pass.

You think so? I'm not sure seeing as his contract was automatically extended due to the sanctions.
he has no ties to penn st. there is no reason for him to stay. there is also no way he can live up to jeopa from a coaching perspective. his career will be short lived and it will be self imposed.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Or do you not like the fact that they disagree with you?
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
jbock13 wrote:Or do you not like the fact that they disagree with you?
have you read the report?

The whole thing, not just the bullet points.
But I'm going to be a future politician so why would I read it? :D
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:Or do you not like the fact that they disagree with you?

I guess Franco with his background is the right person to review and critize the Freeh report. Me personally I would take the ex FBI director words with a higher level of respect then an ex player of JoePa who may have taken too many blows to the head.

The players criticize the thoroughness of the Freeh report because the investigators did not interview many of the central people in the case, including Paterno, who died in January, Penn State athletic director Tim Curley and university vice president Gary Schultz -- who are both awaiting trial on charges of perjury and failure to report suspected child abuse -- and former assistant coach Mike McQueary, who was a key witness in the case against Sandusky.

Hey Franco, maybe the reason Freeh could not interview many of those people is there is still a lawful investigation against them, just saying. And you wonder why there is 'hatred' I believe that was your word against JoePa, PSU, it is because of people opening their mouth defending the enabler PSU of a child molester for 14 yrs.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]