This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By R i
Registration Days Posts
I thought I could read the reports. I couldnt. Its so vile.

I will reserve my judgement for how guilty Joe Pa is until after I hear his side of the story. I highly doubt there is anything he could say that would clear his name from all of this. An appology to the victims and to the Univerisity, acomppanied with a strong case of "i had no clue" , could restore Joe Pa's name a little.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:I thought I could read the reports. I couldnt. Its so vile.

I will reserve my judgement for how guilty Joe Pa is until after I hear his side of the story. I highly doubt there is anything he could say that would clear his name from all of this. An appology to the victims and to the Univerisity, acomppanied with a strong case of "i had no clue" , could restore Joe Pa's name a little.

Too little, too late
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Paterno's getting screwed. He did what he could.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:Paterno's getting screwed. He did what he could.
I get that you are playing Devil's Advocate. But please don't insult our intelligence.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I just honestly believe that the media is out to take down the best college football coach of all time. I mean I get he's not as good now, but no doubt the media wants this to be their waterloo.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Dude, if you look at the facts in regard to him and your blood doesn't boil then you need to recheck the facts. Kids were raped because he chose to look the other way. End of story. Even an octogenerian knows how to dial 9-1-1.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts

:nod

thankfully majority of students, donors, and alumni (including me), and former players are supporting Joe.

hopefully i can make it to the game this Saturday and protest in support of Joe and to call for Spanier resignation
By From the class of 09
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:

:nod

thankfully majority of students, donors, and alumni (including me), and former players are supporting Joe.

hopefully i can make it to the game this Saturday and protest in support of Joe and to call for Spanier resignation
He didn't go to the police. So he obviously didn't do all he could.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
-Police knew about it and didn't act on it.
-DA cleared Sandusky in 1998
-High School knew about it didn't act on it
-Mom of one of the victims reported it after Sandusky admitted to her what he did
which leads to the police doing nothing. could've done more?
-Paterno did notify the head of campus police

[youtube]
[/youtube]
By pbow
Registration Days Posts
Anyone who hears anything about a child molestation should call the police. He didn't do everything he could at all.

People are too caught up seeing Joe Pa as this sweet old man that isn't capable of doing something like this. I've literally tried to go over different scenarios in my mind to understand how this played out. All the scenarios that I can imagine end with making sure that the police is called.

There is something very black and white about child molestation in my eyes. This isn't something like a co-worker that is engaging in prostitution or drugs, something where you can say to yourself "Ah who is he really hurting". No this is as black and white as it gets, and if this is something you have to weigh morally then I don't know what to say.

Fact of the matter is that Joe Pa was told something was going on, turned it into his AD and then went on his merry way. He may have legally fulfilled his obligation, but morally he's as questionable as the other in the cover up. If you are told or see a fellow employee breaking a law such as this and it is seemingly only handled internally you're going to just let it slide? I would like to think the majority of people have some level of moral fiber to pursue an incident like this until they see it to the end.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
This is typical Joe Pa in his statement:
Joe Paterno Statement wrote:At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.
Yeah, let's just sweep this under the rug so I can ride off into the sunset with no accountability. That's exactly the mindset that put him in the position he is in now.

It also sounds like the Governor is going to pressure the board to resolve the matter quickly as well.

I feel bad for the players who are being unfairly tainted by the horrendous decisions made by their coaching staff. But the staff must be held accountable for their actions (or their refusal to take action).
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:-Police knew about it and didn't act on it.
Penn State Police knew about it and felt intimidated by football program and cowered to save their own careers. I have nothing but disgust for them.
DA cleared Sandusky in 1998
DA who disappeared under mysterious circumstances felt their wasn't enough evidence convict. That does not mean Sandusy was cleared. There is a huge gap in between there where it is tough to get evidence to convict.
High School knew about it didn't act on it
Actually the school was the only ones who did the right thing in the whole mess. They reported it and that is what began the investigation.
Mom of one of the victims reported it after Sandusky admitted to her what he did
On this we have total agreement.
Paterno did notify the head of campus police
There has been no evidence that occurred at all. He has simply admitted telling Curley and now maintains that he didn't really know what he was telling Curley. Huh?

As for the former prosecutor, I'm not sure what her point was in this case. It sounds like she believes Joe Pa is Pontius Pilate reincarnated. You can wash your hands and walk away with not a thought for anyone else. Kids being raped in his locker room, I've kind of told my boss so Coach Sandusky you can stick around do whatever it is you need access to my locker room for as long as you like. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Dude, if you look at the facts in regard to him and your blood doesn't boil then you need to recheck the facts. Kids were raped because he chose to look the other way. End of story. Even an octogenerian knows how to dial 9-1-1.
Sly. I take exception to that. Ja didn't rape anyone, Sandusky did. Sandusky was cleared in 98. Paterno is now being painted as the rapist and the one who covered it up. Let's make sure we blame the person who actually COMMITTED the rapes
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
Funny about the Pa DA who went missing, his hard drive was missing too, Found a year later in some river up there. I wonder if Sandusky had him eliminated. Some thoughts for conspiracy theory.

Joe Pa was in the chain of events after the QA saw Sandusky, he is just as guilty as they all are. Not calling the police, not even checking to see what happened after it was turned over to the AD, etc.
By NotAJerry
Registration Days Posts
Kelvin Sampson fired for texting/calling recruits and lying about it.
Rick Neuheisel got canned for partaking in a March Madness pool.
George O'Leary with a beefed up resume at Notre Dame.
Even Bruce Pearl inviting a recruit over to his house for a BBQ and lying about it.

Yet here we are with people defending JoePa for knowingly allowing decades of child sexual abuse to protect the name of the football kingdom he built.

"I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can" except for leaving now and significantly reducing the media exposure for the next two months. For two months it's going to be an absolute circus because this clueless piece of trash still thinks he gets to call the shots. If he's not at least placed on administrative leave on Friday then the entire Board of Trustees needs to be replaced as well.

Joe Paterno knew about Sandusky and the allegations against him and kept it under wraps to protect the Penn State family. Sandusky was allowed on campus in contact with the kids AFTER THE FACT for crying out loud. It's insanity that JoePa gets to stay for the rest of the season. As a coach, I'm trying to imagine a scenario where I wouldn't alert authorities. It just seems like a bizarre scenario that the police or feds weren't notified. The only reason for no action is to cover it up...which is despicable.

Allowing him to finish the season out of respect for his stature in the community would perpetuate exactly the kind of thinking that got PSU into this mess.

With the statement, he is essentially saying, "Hey, I'm Joe Paterno and I am leaving on my own terms, whatcha' going to do about it?" The cynic is me reads this as a PR-driven comment meant to diffuse the Board taking any further action against him, as in, "I've pre-empted your discussions about firing me - I'm leaving, you're getting what you want - so just let it go."

I have had to make some very difficult calls to child protection and have never regretted it even when there was bad fallout or it wasn't substantiated. JoePa is the worst type of bottom feeder possible.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
OTL at 3 pm today on ESPN about the PSU scandal.
By Stevewalt
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:
ballah09 wrote:-Police knew about it and didn't act on it.
Penn State Police knew about it and felt intimidated by football program and cowered to save their own careers. I have nothing but disgust for them.

true Sly but if they are any kind of humane beings they act like it! no matter who the person is!It was a total lack of human kindness and compation for the kids
DA cleared Sandusky in 1998
DA who disappeared under mysterious circumstances felt their wasn't enough evidence convict. That does not mean Sandusy was cleared. There is a huge gap in between there where it is tough to get evidence to convict.

they even had Sandusky admit it on tape Sly...and they still said it wasn't enough! why is that? alot of questions even from child protective services said not enough? WOW how is that possible?
High School knew about it didn't act on it
Actually the school was the only ones who did the right thing in the whole mess. They reported it and that is what began the investigation.
Mom of one of the victims reported it after Sandusky admitted to her what he did
On this we have total agreement.

Why is she waiting to come out now? If I was a parent that went to the police and they did nothing I would be going to the TV/Radio/Newspaper...there are alot of people with axes to grind against PSU so someone would do soemthing before 10 years don't you think?
Paterno did notify the head of campus police
There has been no evidence that occurred at all. He has simply admitted telling Curley and now maintains that he didn't really know what he was telling Curley. Huh?

The meeting was with AD and Head of Campus Police the day after it happened. He also lost his job at PSU since then...JoePa still should have followed up and never in a million years allowed Sandusky the perv to be at practices with children or around the PSU campus at all! He fault is he never followed up on the grievance!
As for the former prosecutor, I'm not sure what her point was in this case. It sounds like she believes Joe Pa is Pontius Pilate reincarnated. You can wash your hands and walk away with not a thought for anyone else. Kids being raped in his locker room, I've kind of told my boss so Coach Sandusky you can stick around do whatever it is you need access to my locker room for as long as you like. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.
Total lack of discretion from PSU management and a complete cover up of all things ethical and moral! They worried more about a sport than the lives of others...and yes I am from PA and this makes my blood boil and I am ticked off! I would never in a million years allow any coach who had knowledge of the Sandusky probe on the sidelines for a game again! starting yesterday! :x
By Stevewalt
Registration Days Posts
The sick part is why everyone swept this under the rug! To save the PSU image! Who the crap cares about an image when this type of deviant behavior is going on! I agree he should never be on the sidelines again...

The line from his press release that was:
That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can. This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.
I want to believe he is saying "I am leaving and not fighting this anymore". He knows he was wrong and said so but that does not mean he should get a pass to decide his future. It is still up to the BOT to decide. And they still have not released anything other than they are dictating how the next coach will be hired.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
Since this was first reported about the shower incident, 2002 if I am correct, I could be wrong. Since that time if there were any other rape victims if they can sue the President, HC and AD of PSU (civil case) for not stopping Sandusky and preventing children from being molested.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
Some Pa newspapers are saying the President of PSU will be gone tonight, according to PSU rivals message board.
By NotAJerry
Registration Days Posts
4everfsu wrote:Since this was first reported about the shower incident, 2002 if I am correct, I could be wrong. Since that time if there were any other rape victims if they can sue the President, HC and AD of PSU (civil case) for not stopping Sandusky and preventing children from being molested.
PSU is going to get killed for hundreds of millions in civil suits, and that's if there's nothing more than what's in the current grand jury report. If it's worse, and there's lots of smoke to say that may be the case, then PSU may not recover any time in the near future.

Consider the football program over. No coach in his right mind is touching that place for the next 10 years. No player with a decent parent/guardian is setting foot near that campus until they have tangible evidence that PSU has really changed. The current underclassmen are going to be gone, and I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA waives the required redshirt for them to transfer. It's done.

If this gets worse, the institution itself is in some serious trouble.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Your casting some pretty wide aspersions as to the future of Penn State football (and making a lot of assumptions that you know the thought processes of a lot of people) NotAJerry. Now what has happened is despicable I will agree but to make such eschatological assumptions is speculative at best. It will take time to build the reputation back up (remember, it takes a lifetime to build a reputation but a moment to destroy it) but given the right person, and much stronger accountability structures, I think you will see Penn State take strides sooner than you might think
BJWilliams wrote:Your casting some pretty wide aspersions as to the future of Penn State football (and making a lot of assumptions that you know the thought processes of a lot of people) NotAJerry. Now what has happened is despicable I will agree but to make such eschatological assumptions is speculative at best. It will take time to build the reputation back up (remember, it takes a lifetime to build a reputation but a moment to destroy it) but given the right person, and much stronger accountability structures, I think you will see Penn State take strides sooner than you might think
(remember, it takes a lifetime to build a reputation but a moment to destroy it)
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]