This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I guess with churches having a history of sweeping sexual predators under the rug, I should be conditioned to shrug off this scandal at Penn State. But frankly this really disgusts me. The predator's actions are hideous but the school covering for him to protect their team's brand is just as egregious in my opinion. Sadly this is probably happening at other schools and we saw the impact in juniors hockey a few years ago.
AP wrote:Child Sex Charges Rock Penn St. Athletics

by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
November 6, 2011

An explosive sex abuse scandal and possible cover-up rocked Happy Valley after former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, once considered Joe Paterno's heir apparent, was charged with sexually assaulting eight boys over a 15-year period. Among the allegations was that a graduate assistant saw Sandusky assault a boy in the shower at the Nittany Lions' practice center in 2002.

Sandusky retired in 1999 but continued to use the school's facilities for his work with The Second Mile, a foundation he established to help at-risk kids. The state grand jury investigation also resulted in perjury charges against Tim Curley, Penn State's athletic director, and Gary Schultz, vice president for finance and business. The two administrators were accused of failing to alert police — as required by state law — of their investigation of the allegations.
Click Here for Full Story

The lack of character from just about everyone at Penn State with the exception of the grad assistant who had the courage to speak up is sickening. I'm sure JoePa fans are going to rush to his defense stating that he took it to the proper authorities. Yeah, he punted and then kept his mouth shut for a decade allowing this man to continue his atrocities.

For those of us who have had friends & family affected by predators, this story makes our blood boil. The lives this man has destroyed while a university covered for him can never be restored.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
Sorry Joe Pa should have gone to law enforcement, not the AD. In my eyes he is just as guilty as the rest.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
ok you say joe is at fault but why didn't the GA go to the police first? Yeah good thing he spoke up but he never went to the police.

Joe did the right thing to go to the higher ups. They should've investigated and then report to the police. After all they could've told Joe that the story was a bogus claim or misunderstanding.

If Joe would've witness this, instead of the GA, i'm sure he would've went to the police himself.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Joe Pa did the right thing reporting it to the AD, then he did everything wrong after that.

Sandusky was investigated by the police in 1998 for misconduct with children, Joe Pa continued to allow Sandusky to bring children with him to football functions all over the country up until this year.

Sandusky was barred from bringing children on campus or to football facilties. Guess who Joe Pa allowed to bring a child with him to a Penn State practice in 2005? Sandusky.

Joe Pa needs to have charges levied against himself as well for being completely negligent and failing to promote a safe atmosphere for children.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
But by going to the AD he was self reporting!!
Seriously, he did what he was supposed to do. He went to his superiors and reported what was happening. He then let the, take care of it. He obviously was going to be partial biased and defensive of his own coach. This was if there was any claim of cover up it wouldn't be because of him
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:But by going to the AD he was self reporting!!
Seriously, he did what he was supposed to do. He went to his superiors and reported what was happening. He then let the, take care of it. He obviously was going to be partial biased and defensive of his own coach. This was if there was any claim of cover up it wouldn't be because of him
Sandusky wasn't a coach at Penn State in 2002...
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:He wasnt but they still allowed him to use facilities there in 2002
And after 2002 he was allowed to use the facilities with children with him even after he was supposed to be banned from having children on campus with him. Truly despicable.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:
For those of us who have had friends & family affected by predators, this story makes our blood boil. The lives this man has destroyed while a university covered for him can never be restored.
I don't have that in my life and this still makes me blood boil. Clear house at Penn State. NOBODY did the right thing here. If you report something and nothing happens you go to the freaking police, end of story. Especially when it deals with freaking sexual abuse of children!

sickening
By R i
Registration Days Posts
This is not the first "allegation" Joe Pa has heard about his coaching staff or a player that might have legal implications. So he did what he should have, let the proper people handle the case. The sad thing is those "proper people" failed terribly.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I'm sure JoePa fans are going to rush to his defense stating that he took it to the proper authorities. Yeah, he punted and then kept his mouth shut for a decade allowing this man to continue his atrocities.
actually it's probably running 10-1 on sports talk radio up here for him to step down or be fired

at least on THIS side of the state, people are livid

don't know about out west
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for in a small way helping to restore my faith in my fellow man.

The statements Sunday that he is surprised by the allegations are insulting to our intelligence.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Anyone involved in this that didn't go to the police needs to be fired as far as I'm concerned. If they hadn't heard about the Sandusky investigations in 1998, they all heard about it in 2002 and their inactions led a child rapist to run free for nine years. Fire all of them.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Setting legal issues aside, I'm not sure how any of those involved can sleep at night knowing their inaction resulting in more kids being raped.

I've been bitten my tongue long enough ... the veil of secrecy that Paterno has placed on his program for decades has always been idiotic. At least now we know why JoePa always has wanted to close ranks. He's created a culture where secrets are kept at all costs to protect the program.

And doesn't anybody else want to vomit every time they hear one of the attorneys involved refer to raping boys as "horseplay"? Just typing this gets me angrier by the minute.

Oh, and how do our Pennsylvania residents on the board feel about your tax dollars being used to defend an inexcusable cover-up? The university's justifications for using tax dollar funds to defend these despicable actions is infuriating!
By pbow
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:Anyone involved in this that didn't go to the police needs to be fired as far as I'm concerned. If they hadn't heard about the Sandusky investigations in 1998, they all heard about it in 2002 and their inactions led a child rapist to run free for nine years. Fire all of them.
Exactly...I can't the grad assistant did not just straight up call the police the moment he saw this. Then I can't believe Joe Pa didn't call the police and soon as he heard about it. And then I can't believe the AD did absolutely nothing when he heard the news. This news is completely sickening. All of these guys should be fired, and if was up to me they would see jail time.
By NotAJerry
Registration Days Posts
JoePa has a consistent history of downplaying potentially major issues at PSU. Despite the national opinion of him, many felt like it was a matter of time before something finally hit publicly. I don't think anyone believed it would be something this big. JoePa's reputation is permanently damaged. The entire football program, the AD, and maybe even the school president, will be gone either now or right after the season.

PSU will be a radioactive job in the near future and it will take finding the next Chris Peterson type of coach to rescue the football program, if that's even possible.
By NotAJerry
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: Oh, and how do our Pennsylvania residents on the board feel about your tax dollars being used to defend an inexcusable cover-up? The university's justifications for using tax dollar funds to defend these despicable actions is infuriating!
It's a standard contract clause once you get to that level of pay in the education field.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
The guy might be a great coach - but if it was me making decisions at that University - He would be dismissed right now. He tried to protect his friend by keeping it in-house. Do you really want to call that pervert your friend? He should have went directly to Sandusky and confronted him - then drove him to jail... That guy is sick and I can't believe he's even out on parole. This guy was brazen enough to do that in public - who only knows what he is still doing to feed his perversion now. They should cut his piece off now, try him and figure out the how he should die. Guys destroy these children's lives and then get a few years in prison and put on a list... That not good enough... How many times have you heard the case - man on sex offender list arrested for doing it again. This world is sick!!!
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
I wonder if Joe does not retire after this season if this incident can be used againist PSU in recruiting? Or maybe that damage is already done whether Joe stays or go.

BTW at Joe's weekly conference this week, the press cannot bring up any questions about the incident,etc. Only can talk about the game this weekend againist Nebraska
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
4everfsu wrote:I wonder if Joe does not retire after this season if this incident can be used againist PSU in recruiting? Or maybe that damage is already done whether Joe stays or go.

BTW at Joe's weekly conference this week, the press cannot bring up any questions about the incident,etc. Only can talk about the game this weekend againit Nebraska
Forget that. I'd bring it up even if police lead me out i handcuffs.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]