This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:Can't believe they actually did it. It was the right move that is for sure.
I hope it gets put back up in a few years when this blows over.
Why? There should be a statue up celebrating a liar? Someone who covered things up in order to protect his precious program's reputation instead of trying to prevent this kind of thing from happening again?? Yeah, he is a great man!

I am not for Penn State getting the death penalty, but this seems like a no brainier to me.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:Can't believe they actually did it. It was the right move that is for sure.
I hope it gets put back up in a few years when this blows over.
Why? There should be a statue up celebrating a liar? Someone who covered things up in order to protect his precious program's reputation instead of trying to prevent this kind of thing from happening again?? Yeah, he is a great man!

I am not for Penn State getting the death penalty, but this seems like a no brainier to me.
I couldn't agree more. It is not fair, but the fact of reality is that he will from now on be remembered just as much - if not more - for the events of the last six months of his life rather than the whole of his lofty achievements in sport and the lives of men in his program. From a PSU standpoint, there is a lot of work to be done over a long time to repair the image of rhe university. For now, this is a good and correct next step.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Take a look at statues around campus across America. There are racists, rapists, murderers and bigots across America. Why not take all of those down too? I'm sure we could start right in Richmond.
By NotAJerry
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
thepostman wrote:

I couldn't agree more. It is not fair, but the fact of reality is that he will from now on be remembered just as much - if not more - for the events of the last six months of his life rather than the whole of his lofty achievements in sport and the lives of men in his program. From a PSU standpoint, there is a lot of work to be done over a long time to repair the image of rhe university. For now, this is a good and correct next step.
They weren't the events of the last 6 months of his life. They were the events of at least the last 14 years of his life. That needs to be remembered. He spent at least a decade and a half knowingly, willingly covering up a child predator. That cancels out everything else he did.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
NotAJerry wrote:
JK37 wrote:
thepostman wrote:

They weren't the events of the last 6 months of his life. They were the events of at least the last 14 years of his life. That needs to be remembered. He spent at least a decade and a half knowingly, willingly covering up a child predator. That cancels out everything else he did.
As I re-read my post, I knew someone would make that distinction. I completely agree.
By NotAJerry
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
As I re-read my post, I knew someone would make that distinction. I completely agree.
I hadn't initially noticed this but someone pointed out today that the statue was erected in 2001, after the Sandusky mess had come to light and during the time that JoePa was willingly covering it all up. It just points a little more toward how willing JoePa was to protect and project the image he had built for Penn State football.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
One of the rarest traits among leaders is the ability of one to admit when one is wrong. Coaches are extremely aware and protective of their image by their very nature. I'm sure somewhere in the deep recesses of his conscience, Joe Paterno justified this at least in part because of how it would have tarnished all the good which the Penn State football program has accomplished. The lives directly and negatively impacted by Mr. Sandusky's actions are the saddest part of it to me, but a close second is that such an impact full leader as Paterno couldn't realize that in the moment when he was faced with the opportunity to do right, he could have made the greatest positive claim for the Grand Experiment. By mos accounts up until now, he ran a clean program at the highest of levels in the most popular and heavily scrutinized sport in collegiate athletics. Imagine the positive that could've come from this long-term if he had simply done what was right!
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
RIP to PSU athletics. I got an email from a booster saying they will get a 3 year bowl ban. lose %40-50 percent of scholarships.

he even went on to say all sports will get nailed. post season bans and loss of scholarships :|

sad to see. Joe and the program let me down
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Those penalties are line with what I suspected when I first heard today that they would come down hard but not use the death penalty. I'm not sure I am buying that this will be worse than the death penalty. But that's just my opinion.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Well to some, not having a competitive team is even worse than not having a team at all. Especially if you're used to a winning tradition like Penn State has had.

Still going to be very hard to be competitive when half your scholarships are gone.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
May not be on TV for years to come, that would be a blow to athletic money revenue.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
I also wonder if the BIG 10 will have some sanctions against PSU also down the road?
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Penn St sanctions -

1) SUSPENSION OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS FOR ONE YEAR

2) NO TELEVISION TIL 2015

3) BOWL BAN TIL 2015

4) NO FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIPS FOR 2013

5) ALL CURRENT PLAYERS ON ROSTER ALLOWED TO TRANSFER WITH NO PENALTY

6) NCAA CLEARINGHOUSE TO EXPEDITE AND ADMINISTER ALL TRANSFERS

7) SPECIAL NCAA DISPENSATION THAT PENN ST FOOTBALL PLAYERS WHO TRANSFER, WILL NOT COUNT AGAINST SCHOLARSHIP LIMIT FOR GAINING SCHOOL

8) LOSS OF 8 SCHOLARSHIPS PER YEAR BEGINNING IN 2014 AND CONTINUING FOR 5 YEARS TO 2020.

9) BEGINNING IN 2014, OPTION TO DROP DOWN TO DIV 1AA WITH NO PENALTY, AND THE RIGHT TO RETURN TO DIV 1A AFTER 2020.

10) WINS AND RECORDS BACK TO 1998 WILL BE VACATED

11) TICKET REVENUE OFFSET PAYOUT TO BE GIVEN TO SCHEDULED OPPONENTS
By NotAJerry
Registration Days Posts
I heard that list, but with it being both no scholarships AND no football in 2013. The thinking is it's too late for people to reschedule for 2012, but a year will still be taken away.

Also hearing rumbling about the NCAA running the PSU athletic department for 2-3 years.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but isn't that a one year "death penalty"?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Technically, no. It would simply be a one-year suspension. Consider it a redshirt year for the program. But then again, this is all speculation at this point.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:What is the difference? I thought it was simply banning the sport at a particular school for at least a year. Is there more to it then that?

They get resurrected after one year, death penalty would be forever, maybe ....
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
but no program has ever been dismantled forever. From everything I have read all the programs that have had the death penalty have gone a year, maybe 2 at the most. It seems like there isn't much of a difference
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
$60 Million dollar fine (1 years gross football revenue)
Bowl ban 4 years
Scholarships down from 25 to 15 (for 4 years)
Athletes can transfer
all 1998 - 2011 wins vacated
5 years of probation
NCAA reserves right to impose sanctions on individuals
Other corrective issues
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]