This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Jasmen8182
Registration Days Posts
As promised in another thread, this is a location to nitpick about grammar and punctuation. Now TallyW, SJ- while a good sport :) - and GMTM... can go about computer speak in peace. I envy those guys- my fingers are getting too much exercise and I need to start speed-reading... with school quickly approaching.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For the record, I'm a great speller and a grammatical nazi myself. But I am a horrendous typer (yeah, I know Im a journalist). So any mistakes in Ole Sly's posts are my fingers' fault.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I appreciated the post Jassy where you used a preposition at the end of every sentence. Very creative because the sentences still fit what you were trying to say. Maybe you need to write for some rappers! No you don't want to talk about cars, ho's and guns all day so that probably would be a bad idea. Here is another pet peeve in our language. Spoken words or written words that don't exist. My favorite is used a lot by my people. CONVERSATE. It is converse or conversation. It is not a word but I hear it every day.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
I've always had a problem with the phrase "I could care less."

Okay...think about that for a second. If you could care less, whatever it is you are talking about is still more important than something else, right? So, wouldn't it make more sense to say "I COULDN'T care less?"

Sorry, I finally found somewhere to vent on that one. I feel much better now.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I'm with ya on that too 01!
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
"Labtop"

I know that has nothing to do with grammar or punctuation, but I think it's related. Spelling errors are still errors. Anyway, I hear that way too often from college students. It's a LAPtop, because you sit it on your lap. If it was a labtop, you could only use them during chemistry classes. Argh.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
01LUGrad wrote:I've always had a problem with the phrase "I could care less."

Okay...think about that for a second. If you could care less, whatever it is you are talking about is still more important than something else, right? So, wouldn't it make more sense to say "I COULDN'T care less?"

Sorry, I finally found somewhere to vent on that one. I feel much better now.
I've gotten into the habbit of saying "couldn't care less" for those very reasons.
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
Try "habit", SJ. I'm guessing that "habbit" is some cross between Bugs Bunny and Frodo Baggins.

I've got a couple.
My pet peeve non-word is "irregardless". The word is "regardless", people!
I also know a guy who constantly says "wisdomful" in place of "wise".
Also, for the record, "lightning" is an electrical discharge often witnessed during thunderstorms. "Lightening" is the action of making something less heavy.
There are no d's in the word "stutter".

That's all for now.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Libertine wrote:Try "habit", SJ. I'm guessing that "habbit" is some cross between Bugs Bunny and Frodo Baggins.
This LOL moment brought to you today by Libertine. You and Luconn get me at least once a day. Here are a couple of more:

Land line - It is actually a LAN line with LAN standing for Local Area Network. It is a telecom pet peeve of mine.

World wind Tour - It is actually a Whirlwind tour. I need to start writing them down as I hear them because I can't remember them all.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Most people I know are using landline to describe a telephone line, as opposed to a cellular or digital or satellite signal.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
Yes. Landline is a technical term referring to wired telephone connections, as opposed to wireless.

LAN is the acronym for Local Area Network, but I've never really heard it used as a "LAN line." You're either on a wired or wireless network connection on a LAN or a WAN.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
In the telecom world a hard wire twisted pair copper phone line was called a LAN line. From that, and the fact that we have wireless communication it evolved into Landline. I suppose I can live with that one though.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Here is another one: ValentiMes day. I have heard more than a few adults say that.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Man, Timmy, who do you hang around with?
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Here is mine: AX-ING (or Aks-ing). Folks-- Speak ENGLISH. It is ASKING! Get it right.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:Man, Timmy, who do you hang around with?
I told ya, Me peeps :wink: A lot of these things I have heard on BET or listening to the radio. It is irritating. I heard a reporter on BET actually say the following: "So be sure to get your Anual checkup every 6 months."
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
ha, that's good. Along those lines I can't stand it when people say something like "6 month anniversary" That word implies yearly, so your phrase is impossible. Now, I don't know if it's a word or not but insurance folks use the term "monthiversary". You could use that instead.

As a side note, you did not strike me as the kind of guy who is in the habit of watching BET.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Some of my friends work there but I like BET. Why is everyone trying to steal my ghetto card? I guess I assimilated too well into main stream society. I watch BET shows like 106 and Park sometimes. I used to know the hostest FREE (that is her name) and Tigger was hosting when Free and AJ left. Tigger and I go way back to when he was an intern at U of MD and we played for the WPGC radio station in DC. I was one of their hired ringers back when I had some skills. He is a syndicated radio host now. Live in the Den with Big Tigger. My friend Lisa Johnson started a show called Teen Summit that I think still comes on Sat mornings. She married Charles Smith from the Knicks and works for MSG network now. Some of the brotha's on here may know who Donnie Simpson is too. I know him casually. Have I dropped enough names yet? But all connections aside, I still like BET sometimes....

Here is another word. Libary instead of Library.
Also using Brought and Bought interchangably. Who knew I had so many problems with people? :wink:
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
It's not so much your ghetto card. It's that their target audience seems to be black people ages 13-24. Not to mention a good JFU grad such as yourself sitting down to watch one of their music videos? Holy cow.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Yes the videos are usually unwatchable. I really don't like much of today's music (sign of getting old) I like to watch their Midnight video show though because they play True R&B music and not that Southern Hip Hop stuff that I really don't like at all. I don't watch music videos that much anyway.
By Jasmen8182
Registration Days Posts
A good example of this: "more better"- "better" is comparative and is fine by itself. If comparing more than 2 things "best" is the one to use. An example of what to do with words that have more syllables- "favorite" would become "most favorite" rather than "favoritest."
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Why do I feel like I'm about to get my knuckles smashed by a ruler for chewing gum?
By Jasmen8182
Registration Days Posts
:lol: Thanks. I wasn't THAT bad in the classroom.... (taught for a very short time-my degree isn't ELED)
Last edited by Jasmen8182 on August 28th, 2006, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Jasmen8182
Registration Days Posts
"...had went" should be "had gone." The first is PAST, the latter is PAST PARTICIPLE- needs the helping verb.
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
There is no x in "lackadaisical".
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]