This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
Saw them tonight at the HOB. They are probably one of the better bands I've seen live. I havn't been to a concert in about 8 years and I wasn't that into them, but i'm sold now. If you ever have the chance to see them live, it will be well worth your money.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I've never been able to work it out to see them here in Texas ... their dates always seem to conflict with my schedule. Thanks for the review.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I know. This is not exactly a music site. But this song has been occupying my brain the past few days and then this one-take acoustic video popped up today ...

[youtube]
[/youtube]
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
So let me get this straight, NTB is coming to Block Party this weekend and we have Guy Penrod during Homecoming? Someone needs to get HMO on the phone pronto. This needs to be fixed.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I think the way it works is Student Activities gets the bigtime bands that will appeal to the young people for CFAW weekends. Homecoming is a big alumni weekend (some might say Old Hag weekend) and Guy Penrod would more appeal to them than jumping around to "that dang rock and roll music". Now as we get more younger alumni (and those with kids who can appreciate music like NTB), we might start seeing the concerts skew more in the other direction
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
BEEJAY you didnt just equate whatever "need to breathe" is to rock and roll did you?

please tell me you didn't just do that.
By JakeP50
Registration Days Posts
It's been either humid and miserable or rainy and more miserable the past few days, so hopefully NTB doesn't get rained out. I've been looking forward to them for a while.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I didn't shorty...at least not intentionally. my point was that older alumni would not (I think) be into music like needtobreathe so it would not make much sense (at least at this juncture) scheduling them or a group like them for homecoming. Now as we get more younger alumni who are into that sort of music, you may see a group like that scheduled for homecoming weekend down the road.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
NTB to me would be a good in between band that would appeal to a larger group of people. Guy on the other hand, not so much.

NTB is not rock n roll, not even close.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Actually, yeah. More the former than the latter with a bit of an Eagles influence.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Actually, yeah. More the former than the latter with a bit of an Eagles influence.
Yeah, cause when I think the Eagles I think Southern Rock
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
No one stated that the Eagles were Southern rock. I just noted that it appears NTB was influenced by them. Rivers in the Wasteland certainly has that feel on a number of songs.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Like I said at the end of my post above, as we start getting more younger alumni who are into bands like NTB, Leeland, For King and Country, We As Human, Red, Family Force 5, anything postie played on his Independent Now show, etc., you will probably start seeing more groups like those or similar ones within their respective genres getting invited for concerts on homecoming weekend as well as CFAW
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I hate to break it to you, BJ. But the vast majority of our alumni is young based on the growth of our school. And I may be fast approaching 50, but the artists you listed are much more my tastes than Southern Gospel.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
True...I tend to split the alumni into two groups in my head: the 70s, 80s and early 90s and mid 90s to present day. there are a lot more in the first group than the second...although there are probably some others like you who have music tastes more in line with the second than the first. the second group (the mid 90s grads on the front end at least) is starting to get kids who are getting into the age where college is a serious consideration, so you may start seeing what I described happening in the next decade or so
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
BJ, I am in the early 80's group. I am in agreement with Sly. There are way more people in my age group who would rather see NTB than Guy. In fact I would love to see them bring in someone like Lecrae for homecoming. You need to split the groups at the 70's, then the rest.

You are also missing Sly's point about the numbers. I would venture to guess that the number of alumni from 2000 to the present has to be close to the total number of alumni from the start in 1971 to 1999.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I might even put the median after 2005. That is how quickly enrollment has escalated.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Fair enough...as usual, Im wrong...anyway, getting concerts more in line with the newer music tastes would be a great way to get more people into the shows and really add something to events like homecoming or family weekend and not just CFAW
Election 2022 and 2024

The swing states will decide the election just l[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]