This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
all those logos in a row, scrolling down made me feel dizzy.....
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
I think the best one is the third one down. Classic looking.
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
Here are rough ideas (one has been posted elsewhere):

By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
I know the logo thing has pretty much been determined with the implementation of the brand identity guide, but here is what the other well-known Flames (Calgary) use to bridge a logo with a mascot idea. Something in this style with an eagle head might look cool as an alternate logo; or perhaps a cool logo commandeered for flamefans.

Also since the official LU logo looks best in red and blue on a white or gray background and on flags (like Hancock or on the computer avatar flags) perhaps they should try to put it in a flag like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for use on the football helmets: (see also Uni-Watch

http://flamefans.com/viewtopic.php?t=16 ... sc&start=0

ImageImage

Additionally, an interesting flamefans logo that incorporated something like an eagle crest similar to the one DC united uses with the wings on either side disolving into flames might work.

By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Honestly, I don't like any of those letters logos.
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
They were just ideas anyways, but to each his own...though they were block-styled and static, Univ. of Southern Florida uses a much more stylized version as does Univ. of Miami; these were just hashing out rough ideas on how one might make the L and the U work in a similar vane.

However, letter logos aside, IMO they really should seriously consider putting the official flames logo (proto's logo) on a white background (the logo and colors pop better on a white background IMO) in a circle with perhaps a red outline to separate the white from the blue (when put on a helmet or green, when on grass, etc.) I've mentioned it earlier, but there is always the option to have a helmet placement like the Steelers--the one side of the helmet placement. Or an option to put the logo on a flag graphic in the style Tampa uses with the Skull and Bones.
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
One option, I personally like gray fill in the circle behind the logo, but here is a quick mock up:

By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
I think that by putting it in a circle it loses it's 'flow'. The design appears to be made with a sense of movement in mind... when it's encircled it looks very static and dry.

I'm also with SJ... I can't say that I"m down with any of the lettered logos... but then again, everyone is a critic :)
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
TallyW wrote: I'm also with SJ...
LANDMARK ACHIEVEMENT
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
No, just no. We have a logo. Why make it look all Arena League-ish? It looks good now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
We need to stick with what we currently have. If we are trying to brand ourselves it is very difficult to do so if we change our logo all the time. Sure the Keebler Elf was changed once, but those are cookies! There was a plan a foot several years ago to have both a "LIBERTY" and "LU" logo's. There were about a dozen designs submitted and it was slated to be voted on by the student body, sort of an "ownership" thing. Obviously, that did not happen. Stick with what we have and give it time to take root.
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
First, I'm not saying replace the tribal logo. But in the brand identity guide, they currently have a letters logo they are branding themselves on, and personally I'm not a fan of it. (Now, I'm not saying the rough mockup I posted is great, just general ideas, but LU is already branding itself on a letters logo, at least a varsity letter should look bold (aka Arizona, Duke, W&M, Wake, Oregon, etc.)

[The first few were less than stellar (especially without photoshop/illustrator), but the last one invokes a Duke or Arizona look]

By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Nothing's wrong with the current LU logo other than you don't like it. It's already on a ton of t-shirts at school and the hockey rink and a lot of other places.
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
True, I don't care for the letter logo, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Place that letter logo next to 90% of other schools' varsity style logos and the LU letter logo doesn't measure up in my opinion. I'm good with knowing that it is my opinion of it, and your opinion is that is that you like it. We'll have to agree to disagree on it.
Field Hockey

We lost an assistant coach.

LSU

Whether we win the conference or get an at-large b[…]

NMSU

I do not see the European players to be as fast as[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Yeah Reese Smith I think? There was another guy wh[…]