This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Things are getting interesting in Iraq. Killed Iran’s top Terror dog. Arrested the top Iranian Militia organizer.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 10:58 pm Things are getting interesting in Iraq. Killed Iran’s top Terror dog. Arrested the top Iranian Militia organizer.
What was he doing in Iraq?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 2:27 pm
Purple Haize wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 10:58 pm Things are getting interesting in Iraq. Killed Iran’s top Terror dog. Arrested the top Iranian Militia organizer.
Getting blown up
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 2:50 pm Man. This one has me all sorts of conflicted.
Really? Kinda tough to pull for the Persians
By Class of 20Something
alabama24 wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 2:27 pm
Directing the "protests" that raided our embassy. If you question his involvement, they literally wrote "soleimani is my commander" on the walls of the burning embassy.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
This is one of the biggest sponsors of terrorism in the world. I get there is a knee jerk reaction to criticize the current administration but this is something that has been years in the making. It wasn't a random act by the president.

And with that I'll bow out of this conversation
By Jonathan Carone
I think the world is a better place with the guy dead.

I think we had to do something to protect our people in the region given what has been happening in recent months.

I don’t like that there were civilian casualties. That’s part of war but I still hate it. Thus the conflict.

I don’t like that we’re sending 3500 more troops to the Middle East.

I don’t like that Trump made the strike without alerting congress. It’s his right given post 9/11 changes, but presidential overreach from all three presidents since 9/11 keeps getting more and more. With the way congress is towards him, I fully understand why he did it, but I think we’re safer as a country when our checks and balances are working properly.

I buy the reasoning that this was done to prevent a war with Iran, not start one, but given the last 20 years as an example, once we get into these situations, we end up staying much longer than anyone anticipated on the front end.

I’m not an isolationist, but I’m so tired of us spending trillions and sacrificing American lives in the Middle East. I understand that this stuff needs to be done at times, but I don’t understand how people (not necessarily those on here) are thrilled and excited for it.

So yes, I’m very conflicted about all of it.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, people who are thrilled or excited about this are just as confused with the current situation as the ones condemning it.

Ok. I'm stepping out of this Iran conversation for good now. For real. I promise.
By rtb72
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 4:34 pm I think the world is a better place with the guy dead.

I think we had to do something to protect our people in the region given what has been happening in recent months.

Yes, we did. Just like Reagan with Khadafi

I don’t like that there were civilian casualties. That’s part of war but I still hate it. Thus the conflict.

No doubt. Collateral death is sadly a circumstance of war. It also has to be understood that you sacrifice a few for the greater populace that are endangered without action

I don’t like that we’re sending 3500 more troops to the Middle East.

I agree. It feels like "here we go again", but I think Trump has shown he does not want endless war with endless personnel deployments, i.e. Syria

I don’t like that Trump made the strike without alerting congress. It’s his right given post 9/11 changes, but presidential overreach from all three presidents since 9/11 keeps getting more and more. With the way congress is towards him, I fully understand why he did it, but I think we’re safer as a country when our checks and balances are working properly.

The latter clearly answered the "why" to the former. With the present Congress..."Checks and Balances" as it were...is not exercised with the spirit of our Constitution nor in due diligence to what is "best" for our country.

I buy the reasoning that this was done to prevent a war with Iran, not start one, but given the last 20 years as an example, once we get into these situations, we end up staying much longer than anyone anticipated on the front end.

All we can go on is his commitment to end, endless wars. He has thus far shown he does not want to unnecessarily put our troops at risk. One can hope he remains so committed...

I’m not an isolationist, but I’m so tired of us spending trillions and sacrificing American lives in the Middle East. I understand that this stuff needs to be done at times, but I don’t understand how people (not necessarily those on here) are thrilled and excited for it.

I agree on the money being spent becoming tiresome, and the only thing for me personally I can say on the death..... is while I'm not going to relish in his death....I am thrilled that with it, America has made a statement that we will protect our people and not let another Benghazi go unanswered.

So yes, I’m very conflicted about all of it.
I think this is a very thorough summary, Jon....and really is a good snapshot of where a lot of Americans are. It even got me to thinking.....I have a 17 year old daughter who for her whole life.... has never known an America where our military was not fighting somewhere in the world.
Last edited by rtb72 on January 3rd, 2020, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thepostman liked this
By Class of 20Something
Surprise. My beliefs on waging war are probably pretty strong. For the purposes of this post, imperialism is not ever in my motive for waging war.

There are two components to being a Global Superpower. The capability of projecting force anywhere in the globe for an indefinite period of time. The will to do so. Let this influence how you vote. It is important.

I'm borderline isolationist. If Americans aren't being killed, don't get involved.

Wage war with such force, violence, and fury that puts everyone else on notice.

Define, communicate, and execute the purpose of war with sickening speed. Get our troops home.

To the victor go the spoils. (Forever military bases in Germany and Japan are examples. They made our involvement in WWII worthwhile, Favorable trade agreements or the outright collection of enemy assets are also on the table)

Never be afraid to bluff your way out of a war(Star Wars and the Cold War come to mind). Accept surrender.

For those that do not understand, by most metrics, the US Military is likely the most lethal military group since the Spartans.
rtb72, ATrain liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I have 0 issues with this. He was a legitimate military target on someone else soil. The thought that you would need to consult Congress before launching a drone strike like this is baffling. Trump took the head off of Quds force snake in Iraq and globally. There is no downside. It’s not like those guys are going to hate us more. He made a decision. I’m ok with that. The fact remains that when you make a decision someone will find fault with it remains. Remember when Obama ordered Bin Laden taken out? Joe Biden was against it.
Iran’s mullahs are now going to threaten to attack America and Americans.....just like they have since 1979. Only this time they know there will be a price to pay if they do.
rtb72 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Also, this right here explains 90% of Trumps evangelical support. He may not be one of them, but he accepts them. He does not disdain them like this. This type of behavior is why Trump has evangelical support

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: January 4th, 2020, 9:40 am Disdain them like what?
Read the Twitter thread. This is the way Evangelicals are viewed. I would say everyone here knows exactly what’s going on in the picture and doesn’t really think twice about it. Happens all the time. To the “World” it may seem odd but most people don’t call it cultish.
This has taken “clinging to guns to religion “ to a whole new level.
flamehunter, JK37 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
:football Speaking of our President, I predict he will attend a Liberty University football game in 2020. :football
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 14th, 2020, 11:42 am :football Speaking of our President, I predict he will attend a Liberty University football game in 2020. :football
Which game?
By chris leedlelee
Steve Hilton is quite insightful. With the left always out to take out popular Fox New's hosts (Tucker, Laura Ingraham, Bill O'Reilly), it's always good to groom a series of "backups" to take over the primetime slots for Fox should anyone be assaulted too much by the left.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
chris leedlelee wrote: January 14th, 2020, 12:45 pm Steve Hilton is quite insightful. With the left always out to take out popular Fox New's hosts (Tucker, Laura Ingraham, Bill O'Reilly), it's always good to groom a series of "backups" to take over the primetime slots for Fox should anyone be assaulted too much by the left.
O’Reilly did the work for them when he wouldn’t keep it in his pants.
ATrain liked this
By chris leedlelee
adam42381 wrote: January 14th, 2020, 5:38 pm O’Reilly did the work for them when he wouldn’t keep it in his pants.
Al Sharpton called Jews "diamond merchants", "Jewish bastards" , and said, "if the Jews want to get it on, tell them to pin their yarmulkes back and come over to my house.", and incited riots at Freddies Fashion Mart which led to the deaths of seven. He has his own show on MSNBC and no one bats an eye. While O'Reilly certainly was at fault for his actions, there is one set of rules if you are on the right and a different set of rules on the left.
PAmedic liked this
This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]

2024 Season Thread

Thanks for the work you put into these. It is appr[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

https://x.com/thevivafrei/status/1801347846974661[…]