This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

jbock13 wrote: March 14th, 2020, 2:55 pm Why do some people view literally everything and everything as racist? :roll:

Is it some sort of game? If you get a high score, do you win anything?
Unfortunately, racism is still alive and well. We have a pretty large, tight knit chinese community around here and my wife is pretty close with them and the way people have started to change how they treat them since the virus began to spread is pretty alarming.

With that said. The name of this Virus was originally dubbed the Wuhan Coronavirus due to its origin but once it became clear that some americans can't deal with that without resorting to being racially insensitive it was dropped.

Of course there is plenty of other conspiracy theories as to why the media stopped mentioning Wuhan when talking about the virus but I'll allow the Alex Jones's and Jerry Falwell Jr's of the world to come up with those theories with local restaurant owners :D .
thepostman wrote: March 14th, 2020, 3:07 pm
jbock13 wrote: March 14th, 2020, 2:55 pm Why do some people view literally everything and everything as racist? :roll:

Unfortunately, racism is still alive and well. We have a pretty large, tight knit chinese community around here and my wife is pretty close with them and the way people have started to change how they treat them since the virus began to spread is pretty alarming.

With that said. The name of this Virus was originally dubbed the Wuhan Coronavirus due to its origin but once it became clear that some americans can't deal with that without resorting to being racially insensitive it was dropped.

Of course there is plenty of other conspiracy theories as to why the media stopped mentioning Wuhan when talking about the virus but I'll allow the Alex Jones's and Jerry Falwell Jr's of the world to come up with those theories with local restaurant owners :D .
Dude. It’s ALL a conspiracy. Ha Study the North Koreans. The Illuminati and Col Sanders!!! They are all in on it
thepostman liked this
Purple Haize wrote: March 14th, 2020, 3:07 pm
Yacht Rock wrote: March 14th, 2020, 2:59 pm

It wouldn't be racist if people weren't using it as an excuse to attack people of Asian descent. It would be a giant nothing burger otherwise.
Where has anyone here attacked anyone of Asian descent?
Of course I know where Wuhan is that’s why I made the reference to Lyme’s so don’t get patronizing
Since there really isn’t a whole big thing being made about the use of Wuhan by anyone other than the Totalitarian Government of China I don’t see the problem with using common terminology. It’s no more degrading then West Nile Virus is to the people of Uganda or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is to the folks in and around Colorado. If I were to see it being used as a slur I would most certainly object to its usage. I have not nor have you provided evidence of it.
It's usage is not a slur directly. It just feeds the people who want to be racist towards Asians. If you want to fuel them, that's on you. But you can't plead ignorance that you weren't told you have. Read postman's post. I've gotten stories from students and other parents, and asian adults.

Was it common terminology? It was.

Is it anymore? No, it's not. Once professionals realized that people were using it as an excuse for their negative behavior, they stopped using that term. You'll find that term used rarely compared with say, January. The reason is that it was having a negative impact.

If you don't care about that impact, "you do you."
If my use of the term fuels any sort of attack against Asians I will certainly apologize and strongly condemn any such attack. I’ll even go a step further and preemptively condemn any attacks or disparaging treatment of Asians at all.
You still have not pointed out how using it has been an excuse for negative behavior on my part or anyone else’s.
But let’s ask an expert

https://www.straight.com/news/1371016/a ... r-activist
Let me make this clear to you.

I've literally had students tell me how they've been verbally attacked regarding the "Wuhan"/"Chinese"/Coronavirus.

I've literally had adult Asians tell me how they've been verbally attacked regarding the "Wuhan"/"Chinese"/Coronavirus.

I've literally had parents of Asian children tell me how they're children have been verbally attacked regarding the "Wuhan"/"Chinese"/Coronavirus.

People who are are offenders of negative behavior focus on the fact that this is a Chinese issue (based on the terms Wuhan or Chinese) to excuse their behavior.

I also think you're missing the point. Whether the term itself is racist or not is besides the point. It's how people are reacting to that language. That's why the greater medical community has moved on from that terminology.

If you choose not to believe this, I'm not sure what to tell you.
Obviously since you are so offended by it I’m not going to use it anymore. Far be it from me to further cause you injury.
I cannot help if ignorant people do ignorant things. You also have yet to provide a single instance of anyone here engaging in such activity or how the use of “W” word has caused anyone emotional duress on this forum other than you
Being an educator I would take the time to inform those around me of how terminology for these types of outbreaks are derived. It would go a long way to increasing knowledge.
I don’t think he was claiming you personally have done anything offensive on purpose.

The argument is that by continuing to use Wuhan Virus as the name, you are using words that have been weapon used by racists and xenophobes. You yourself are neither of those things, but by using the language they use, you will inevitably get lumped in with them and those who read your words who don’t know you will equate your opinion with those who use it negatively.

tl;dr - guilt by association. It sucks but it’s real.
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 14th, 2020, 3:52 pm I don’t think he was claiming you personally have done anything offensive on purpose.

The argument is that by continuing to use Wuhan Virus as the name, you are using words that have been weapon used by racists and xenophobes. You yourself are neither of those things, but by using the language they use, you will inevitably get lumped in with them and those who read your words who don’t know you will equate your opinion with those who use it negatively.

tl;dr - guilt by association. It sucks but it’s real.
Yeah that’s become a problem with society.

On a related Conspiracy note. Lots of CEO’s are stepping down
Why do I care how Yankee Candle is handling the Coronavirus crisis?
Or Fanatics?
Or Sig? (Well maybe them)
Or New Balance?
Or Bear KompleX?

Seems like everyone who I’ve given an email address to is writing to let me know how they are handling the crisis

(Take note Cider Some of your Naughty web sites may be sending you emails!$
thepostman wrote: March 14th, 2020, 4:26 pm Day 1 of being stuck at home with everything closed isn't going well. I'm sure we will find a lot more to fight about as time goes on.
I have stuff to do.....I’m just. Not doing it
Luckily it's been nice out today so I've spent some time outside with the kids. But all the normal things we go out and do with the kids are closed. It'll be like this for at least 2 weeks. I'm not sure how this will go.
Purple Haize wrote: March 14th, 2020, 3:58 pm Why do I care how Yankee Candle is handling the Coronavirus crisis?
Or Fanatics?
Or New Balance?
Or Bear KompleX?

Seems like everyone who I’ve given an email address to is writing to let me know how they are handling the crisis

Did you get the Barnes and Noble one? It was so weird.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 14th, 2020, 4:42 pm
Purple Haize wrote: March 14th, 2020, 3:58 pm Why do I care how Yankee Candle is handling the Coronavirus crisis?
Or Fanatics?
Or New Balance?
Or Bear KompleX?

The B&N one was very weird...
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 14th, 2020, 4:42 pm
Or Fanatics?
Or New Balance?
Or Bear KompleX?

I just delete them. I don’t even read them. But......why was it weird ?
Been working midnights. Our bars are jumping. Everybody getting lit for the apocalypse.
But yeah got 48 hours left to buy booze locally
Plus everybody getting their Irish on tonight a couple days early in case they don’t live until Tuesday I guess
thepostman wrote: March 15th, 2020, 9:12 am Pretty interesting perspective from Newt Gingrich who is currently in Italy.

https://www.newsweek.com/newt-gingrich- ... on-1492270
You will have to hit the Translate Tweet but this gives better perspective on what’s going on in Italy and why you can’t really compare that to the US. There might be a possibility it will be a State by State thing.

5 plus 7 model

ND Ireland game is usually week 0, right? August.

Prayers please

My neighborhood in Gambrills was great. Great f[…]

Family Travel Obsession

We'll do cruises when our legs and backs don't w[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]