This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
That doesn't make it easily provable. If you could point to a study that asked more than just a handful of people then maybe I'd buy it.

Also there are young earth and old earth creationists. That doesn't determine ones Christianity.
By Tnobes
It doesn't determine their salvation but it does determine if they believe what the Bible says. If God lied to us from the very first chapter, then when did he start telling the truth? If they believe in an old earth they aren't getting that from scripture, they are getting it from an outside source and trying to mesh it with scripture. I would not argue if they are going to heaven but I would say that they don't believe what is written in the Bible
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 12:41 pm
thepostman wrote: January 6th, 2020, 12:36 pm Most? Please explain. That is a very strong statement to make. Of course there are seminaries that have lost their way but to suggest most don't teach the Bible isn't something that you could possibly prove.
Easily provable. Ask a professor at any given seminary if they believe in billions of years and you will have your answer. My seminary North Park stopped being Christian long ago
So you have to be a Young Earth Creationist to be a Christian?

Edit: Posted this before I saw the new page.
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 1:02 pm It doesn't determine their salvation but it does determine if they believe what the Bible says. If God lied to us from the very first chapter, then when did he start telling the truth? If they believe in an old earth they aren't getting that from scripture, they are getting it from an outside source and trying to mesh it with scripture. I would not argue if they are going to heaven but I would say that they don't believe what is written in the Bible
But you used it as your example to determine if a seminary is "Chriatian" or not so that is why I questioned that.
Purple Haize liked this
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 1:02 pm It doesn't determine their salvation but it does determine if they believe what the Bible says. If God lied to us from the very first chapter, then when did he start telling the truth? If they believe in an old earth they aren't getting that from scripture, they are getting it from an outside source and trying to mesh it with scripture. I would not argue if they are going to heaven but I would say that they don't believe what is written in the Bible
My Old Testament class at Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary taught that there were many interpretations for the Creation story.

Is Liberty no longer a Christian seminary?
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 1:05 pm There are Methodists who are going to heaven but the Methodist Church is not a Christian denomination and does not believe the Bible
:dontgetit

I think what you mean is they don't interpret the Bible the way you do. That is much different.

Do they teach Jesus is the messiah and through him we can have salvation? Last I checked they do so therefore that makes them a Christian denomination. I disagree with some of their doctrinal conclusions but that is much different than not being a Christian denomination.
rtb72 liked this
By rtb72
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 11:22 am This is not a hill to die on one way or another but there is more scripture backing women can't be lead pastors and none saying that they can. Being a pastor is very different than being a missionary or Sunday school teacher or youth leader or children's ministry leader, or serving on various committees. I have no problem with churches that have female pastors by the way, I have served along side female pastors. Senior pastors I believe is a different story. This is not a salvation issue and I have no problem with people coming down on different sides of this but ball coach doesn't need to be pilled on over this
It is simplest form....

So where does it define senior pastor, committee member, women can be missionaries and sunday school teachers, but not pastors?

*Pastor*: One who feeds the flock; shepherd...pas'-ter (ro`eh; poimen; literally, a helper, or feeder of the sheep.

*Bible Study Tools (2020) Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology. Salem Media Group. https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/pastor/.
In my lifetime I have been a choir member. Sunday School Teacher. VBS teacher, usher , Sunday school worship leader, but I have never been a Pastor. There are many opportunities to SERVE, but not be the Pastor.
By rtb72
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 1:05 pm There are Methodists who are going to heaven but the Methodist Church is not a Christian denomination and does not believe the Bible
Wow! From what lofty perch have you been placed? "The Methodist Church" is essentially a body of believers! Sure they affiliate with a particular denomination with different orders of worship, and just like ANY OTHER DENOMINATION there are those with diverse interpretations and ideologies. So because certain seminaries teach a particular way....the whole church body is labeled as not believing the Bible?
ATrain liked this
By Tnobes
thepostman wrote: January 6th, 2020, 1:13 pm

I think what you mean is they don't interpret the Bible the way you do. That is much different.

Do they teach Jesus is the messiah and through him we can have salvation? Last I checked they do so therefore that makes them a Christian denomination. I disagree with some of their doctrinal conclusions but that is much different than not being a Christian denomination.
You must define the word Christian different than I do. I don't define Christian simply as believing in Jesus. If someone tells me that they are a Christian that tells me absolutely nothing about them, they might as well say they like cheese
By rtb72

So tell me, Tnobes: My wife and I are both members at the Methodist Church. We were both raised Baptist. I interpret the Bible differently than my wife. Which one of us are right? Which one of us don't believe the Bible? Could it be the one YOU SAY is a true believer, because, well......you said so?
By Tnobes
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 6th, 2020, 1:11 pm
My Old Testament class at Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary taught that there were many interpretations for the Creation story.

No, they are just not willing to take a hard stand. But I would say that the Bible doesn't need interpretation, any more than a doctor Seuss book needs interpretation, the words say what they say, if you hand the Bible to a ten year old they know what it says, living it out is the hard part
rtb72 wrote: January 6th, 2020, 1:38 pm

So tell me, Tnobes: My wife and I are both members at the Methodist Church. We were both raised Baptist. I interpret the Bible differently than my wife. Which one of us are right? Which one of us don't believe the Bible? Could it be the one YOU SAY is a true believer, because, well......you said so?
Your wife obviously
rtb72, alabama24 liked this
By Tnobes

Troll
By Tnobes
rtb72 wrote: January 6th, 2020, 1:33 pm
Wow! From what lofty perch have you been placed? "The Methodist Church" is essentially a body of believers! Sure they affiliate with a particular denomination with different orders of worship, and just like ANY OTHER DENOMINATION there are those with diverse interpretations and ideologies. So because certain seminaries teach a particular way....the whole church body is labeled as not believing the Bible?
I never said anything about individual members but the church is splitting because many of the churches decided that they don't believe what God says anymore and that is a fact.
ballcoach15 liked this
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 1:40 pm

No, they are just not willing to take a hard stand. But I would say that the Bible doesn't need interpretation, any more than a doctor Seuss book needs interpretation, the words say what they say, if you hand the Bible to a ten year old they know what it says, living it out is the hard part
The English words or the Original Language? Cause I know several Rabbi’s who would dispute the young earth creationist theory based solely on the Torah
By rtb72
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 1:41 pm

Troll
hahahahaha....absolutely brilliant.... you got me. I obviously have no scholarship to the level at which you are operating. I am so thankful I do not have to measure up to your standards for salvation.
ATrain liked this
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 1:36 pm

You must define the word Christian different than I do. I don't define Christian simply as believing in Jesus. If someone tells me that they are a Christian that tells me absolutely nothing about them, they might as well say they like cheese
So to be a Christian I must believe everything that you do? That sounds awfully like adding to the gospel of Christ which I know is not your intent but it sure sounds like what you are doing.

The bottom line of the gospel is Christ is the Messiah and our savior. Anything else you add to that to consider something "Christian" or not is coming from you not the gospel of Christ.
rtb72 liked this
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 1:50 pm And I know several who would say the opposite. That's why I put zero stock in what anybody says. I look at what the text says, not what somebody says it "means". God don't stutter
That’s an artful dodge of the question. God also wasn’t speaking English either. The text was written I Hebrew for Hebrew speaking people
To take your position of “no interpretation needed” I have to wonder if you have your eyes or have plucked them out or both your hands or you have had them cut off. Or you just lead a perfect life with never seeing anything that cause impure thoughts or your hands have never done anything to sin against God.
By Tnobes
rtb72 wrote: January 6th, 2020, 1:15 pm
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 11:22 am This is not a hill to die on one way or another but there is more scripture backing women can't be lead pastors and none saying that they can. Being a pastor is very different than being a missionary or Sunday school teacher or youth leader or children's ministry leader, or serving on various committees. I have no problem with churches that have female pastors by the way, I have served along side female pastors. Senior pastors I believe is a different story. This is not a salvation issue and I have no problem with people coming down on different sides of this but ball coach doesn't need to be pilled on over this
It is simplest form....

So where does it define senior pastor, committee member, women can be missionaries and sunday school teachers, but not pastors?

*Pastor*: One who feeds the flock; shepherd...pas'-ter (ro`eh; poimen; literally, a helper, or feeder of the sheep.

*Bible Study Tools (2020) Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology. Salem Media Group. https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/pastor/.
[/quote a pastor is not definined as someone who feeds the flock, everyone knows what a pastor is
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Technically, LU no longer has a "seminary." It's now called a School of Divinity (undergrad and grad). Study
Cider Jim wrote: January 6th, 2020, 2:00 pm
Technically, LU no longer has a "seminary." It's now called a School of Divinity (undergrad and grad). Study
It has a nice ring to it
Election 2022 and 2024

And filing a police report over it is laughable […]

Prayers please

Insurance Fires are still a thing… Yes[…]

2024 Season Thread

https://risewithus5.blogspot.com/2024/06/were-now-[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

It's just funny to me that a bunch of our most[…]