This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't know the details but I remember Sr talking about it years ago.

But now that nobody seems to remember it I'm starting to doubt myself.

If memory serves correctly there is something in the bylaws that states TRBC leadership can step in if they believe LU has lost site of their mission.

Hopefully there is someone on here that can clear this up
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
From what I’ve seen it was to pay to influence online polls that were in no way scientific. I believe Drudge was one of them. Trump finished 5th. I have a high degree of confidence that this is not exclusive to the Trump campaign and that others have done it as well. If this were for “legitimate “ polls like Rasmussen etc that would be a bit more concerning. It’s politics. It’s messy and gross, like making sausage.
As to whether or not this is something LU or People Who Work at LU but aren’t Represnting LU At This Particular Moment but is in all other moments should be involved in this is a legit criticism
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote:As to whether or not this is something LU or People Who Work at LU but aren’t Represnting LU At This Particular Moment but is in all other moments should be involved in this is a legit criticism
I prefer to focus on this portion vs the politics of it.

Regardless of political party, should someone who is running a business that is hired to falsely influence an election the type of person who we should have in a senior leadership role?
By CCWMichael
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:As to whether or not this is something LU or People Who Work at LU but aren’t Represnting LU At This Particular Moment but is in all other moments should be involved in this is a legit criticism
I prefer to focus on this portion vs the politics of it.

Regardless of political party, should someone who is running a business that is hired to falsely influence an election the type of person who we should have in a senior leadership role?
+1
By LU 57
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Mr. Gauger’s lawyer, Charles E. James Jr. of the firm Williams Mullen, said federal investigators interviewed Mr. Gauger about his interactions over six years with Mr. Cohen, from their first meeting in 2012 until last April, when the Federal Bureau of Investigation raided Mr. Cohen’s home, office and hotel room.
Williams Mullen is the law firm Liberty uses. Jerry has extensive relationships there. So I'd say it's fair to connect dots and wonder what Jerry's involvement in this was.

Also - of note - Liberty has a policy that employees can't speak with media outlets unless it's approved by the University. That means this statement was likely approved by the University before getting put out.

If I had to guess – and this is purely speculation – given Jerry's relationship with John Gauger, Jerry was very much involved in both setting up the relationship between Guager/Cohen/Trump and in the statement Gauger released.
Why was this disclosed? And why now? The fact that it appears in the conservative leaning WSJ and not a liberal outlet like the NYT or WP makes me think maybe Gauger and his attorney reached out to them.

I wonder if this was an effort to get ahead of Cohen testimony/Mueller report. Will definitely be interesting to see how things play out.
By Jonathan Carone
BuryYourDuke wrote:Williams-Mullen is a pretty large, well known firm here in Richmond. They represent lots of businesses and individuals in all sorts of legal dealings.

I would hesitate to connect JLFJR to this based on Gauger using them.
It wasn't based solely on that but okay.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:Williams-Mullen is a pretty large, well known firm here in Richmond. They represent lots of businesses and individuals in all sorts of legal dealings.

WM is not a firm that anyone picks out of the phonebook for representation. To think that he orchestrated all this himself is almost as naive as thinking it is fine to get a bag with a bunch of cash for services rendered. Gauger isn't a big fish and neither is his business. Word on the street is that he got thrown under the bus, but who knows. In my opinion, there is more corruption in the upper offices of Liberty than in any secular institution in Lynchburg. The only people who would argue strongly about this are the ones in here drinking the Kook-aid...and my father.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:

WM is not a firm that anyone picks out of the phonebook for representation. To think that he orchestrated all this himself is almost as naive as thinking it is fine to get a bag with a bunch of cash for services rendered. Gauger isn't a big fish and neither is his business. Word on the street is that he got thrown under the bus, but who knows. In my opinion, there is more corruption in the upper offices of Liberty than in any secular institution in Lynchburg. The only people who would argue strongly about this are the ones in here drinking the Kook-aid...and my father.
Ok. That made me laugh
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
https://www.wsj.com/articles/cohen-thre ... 1548075720
At Mr. Cohen’s request to Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr., the university used its Twitter account to promote Mr. Trump in the CNBC rankings when the list of 200 contenders was announced, incorrectly stating that he’d been named among the top 25, according to a person familiar with the university’s decision.
And Jr says he only speaks for himself :roll:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'd like to see that post being referenced by the article. U remember Jr promoting him in his account but not LU's.

Its certainly believable. I just don't trust Cohen since I cant keep up with lies. Same can be said about the president as well.
By cruzan_flame13
thepostman wrote:I'd like to see that post being referenced by the article. U remember Jr promoting him in his account but not LU's.

Its certainly believable. I just don't trust Cohen since I cant keep up with lies. Same can be said about the president as well.
Bingo and that's why they lie, so people can get confused and/or not care about what is really going on. However making such statement will put one under the 'tin foil hat' category, well according to Jon at least. Not to be rude but it's just common sense; politics is no different than a soap opera.
By Jonathan Carone
I said the tin foil hat comment because you were questioning a direct quote without reading it because it came from a source that didn't line up with your political ideology.

The truth is this John Gauger stuff is just the tip of the ice berg when it comes to the Falwells relationship with the Trump campaign and Trump in general. Trump was working with Gauger going back to his days running the beauty pageant. I've been told by three different people there was a Falwell present at the meeting between Cohen and Gauger in New York. The Falwell/Trump relationship isn't as simple as a basic supporter. Jerry's in the inner circle and, as has been mentioned by others in this thread, the inner circle of a politician is a dirty place to be.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I'd like to see that post being referenced by the article. U remember Jr promoting him in his account but not LU's.

https://twitter.com/LibertyU/status/426 ... 1548075720

It's really not a stretch that we can lose our non profit status because of this.
By cruzan_flame13
Jonathan Carone wrote:I said the tin foil hat comment because you were questioning a direct quote without reading it because it came from a source that didn't line up with your political ideology.

The truth is this John Gauger stuff is just the tip of the ice berg when it comes to the Falwells relationship with the Trump campaign and Trump in general. Trump was working with Gauger going back to his days running the beauty pageant. I've been told by three different people there was a Falwell present at the meeting between Cohen and Gauger in New York. The Falwell/Trump relationship isn't as simple as a basic supporter. Jerry's in the inner circle and, as has been mentioned by others in this thread, the inner circle of a politician is a dirty place to be.
What do you think my political ideology consist of? By the way I did observe the article and laughed at it because it literally a dog and pony show. The main goal is to cause distraction, which right now Trump is the boogey man. That doesn't mean I'm a Trump supporter. Both sides of the political spectrum is dirty, and it's a bit annoying that Falwell and the school itself is involved, but name any college that is not involve in politics. This article is just another piece to get everyone rowdy up and then it dies down. I'm sorry but I'm not going to play fetch when both sides are playing games and the masses is staying in tune with their show.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I said the tin foil hat comment because you were questioning a direct quote without reading it because it came from a source that didn't line up with your political ideology.

What do you think my political ideology consist of? By the way I did observe the article and laughed at it because it literally a dog and pony show. The main goal is to cause distraction, which right now Trump is the boogey man. That doesn't mean I'm a Trump supporter. Both sides of the political spectrum is dirty, and it's a bit annoying that Falwell and the school itself is involved, but name any college that is not involve in politics. This article is just another piece to get everyone rowdy up and then it dies down. I'm sorry but I'm not going to play fetch when both sides are playing games and the masses is staying in tune with their show.
I don’t think you know what that means.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:

https://twitter.com/LibertyU/status/426 ... 1548075720

It's really not a stretch that we can lose our non profit status because of this.

Thank you for that. That is certainly not a good look and completely goes against what Jerry has said in public interviews about how it is only him promoting Trump and not the school.

Embarrassing, really.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]