This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By CCWMichael
K has records from HS. This guy was a CYA lawyer before he was a lawyer. He needs confirmed.
No witness for the esteemed doctor but K has a few.
This is a typical dem strategy like Thomas.
All of a sudden anew allegation?
Now, common sense is not so common.
This is EASY!
Evidence without sources or any conformation!
Let's stop the stupidity and confirm!
By rtb72
Beyond a reasonable doubt will never be realized in either case. If the accusers are so sure of their offender, they need to immediately file a police report under penalty of law, unless statute of limitations have lapsed. To request an FBI investigation is comical, as their is absolutely no binding authority or original jurisdiction for them to commence such an investigation. At the end of the day, whether partly true or completely fabricated, if this works with Kavanaugh.....you will not see another true conservative justice on the SCOTUS for many, many years.
By Jonathan Carone
I think conservatives are fighting this thing the wrong way. By doubting if it happened, you're invalidating thousands (millions?) of women who have experienced some type of negative sexual situation similar to what Dr. Ford is saying she experienced. On top of that, you're also freezing out people who are sympathetic to those women.

Instead, you should be asking the question if one terrible action as a drunken teenager is enough to counter decades of above-the-board, honorable service. Show all the times we've written off bad behavior as "kids making mistakes" because "they don't know any better" and then point back to his decades of service and accommodations by even those he disagrees with politically.

When you go after the accuser and try to invalidate her without even stopping to consider that this may have happened, you turn off a lot of people who otherwise would've been okay with Kavenaugh getting this seat. I had a friend who is in his late 40s, is primarily a Republican based voter, tell me this week he is voting for the Democratic governor and Democratic senator option in Tennessee this fall primarily as a protest vote against what the conservative party has become. You may disagree with his reasoning, but he's a shining example of the allies you're losing when you fight like this.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think conservatives are fighting this thing the wrong way. By doubting if it happened, you're invalidating thousands (millions?) of women who have experienced some type of negative sexual situation similar to what Dr. Ford is saying she experienced. On top of that, you're also freezing out people who are sympathetic to those women.

Instead, you should be asking the question if one terrible action as a drunken teenager is enough to counter decades of above-the-board, honorable service. Show all the times we've written off bad behavior as "kids making mistakes" because "they don't know any better" and then point back to his decades of service and accommodations by even those he disagrees with politically.

When you go after the accuser and try to invalidate her without even stopping to consider that this may have happened, you turn off a lot of people who otherwise would've been okay with Kavenaugh getting this seat. I had a friend who is in his late 40s, is primarily a Republican based voter, tell me this week he is voting for the Democratic governor and Democratic senator option in Tennessee this fall primarily as a protest vote against what the conservative party has become. You may disagree with his reasoning, but he's a shining example of the allies you're losing when you fight like this.
Instead you should look at how a false accusation can tear down a man’s reputation and set back the legitimate claims of sexual assuault for scores of victims. At meetings last week a had dozens of people tell me they didn’t vote for Trump, but the BS being played out in these hearings were the last straw. They are going to vote for whatever candidate supports Trump
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think conservatives are fighting this thing the wrong way. By doubting if it happened, you're invalidating thousands (millions?) of women who have experienced some type of negative sexual situation similar to what Dr. Ford is saying she experienced. On top of that, you're also freezing out people who are sympathetic to those women.

I don't completely disagree but I would add that the way the Democrats have used the metoo movement for political gain has turned just as many life long Democrats off. Neither party is doing this right and it makes it hard to find someone you can really believe in

Politics today is just so sad.
By Jonathan Carone
Oh I agree completely. That’s why I mentioned I hate that sexual assault has been weaponized. I made the conservatives comments because 90% of the people here are conservatives.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Oh I agree completely. That’s why I mentioned I hate that sexual assault has been weaponized. I made the conservatives comments because 90% of the people here are conservatives.
More than half the people I work with are Liberal
More than half the people I work with are females. Several of them that I interacted with thought Trump was disgusting but they used much stronger language to describe Dr Ford and what they thought about her allegations
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:So this new allegation is even more flimsy.
There was a drunk girl at a drunken party who either had a penis or a dildo shoved in her face. If it was a penis it was definitely Kavanaugh because after all this broke she had time to really think about it and conclude it was him. Even heard someone say his full name
even after she called all her friends at the party and they basically told her that it wasn't kavanaugh.

the NYT with some horrible ethics here.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts

its possible to do both. which they are doing. the problem is like it usually is, only the loudest are heard. the people in charge are not invalidating anything, they are attempting to ferret out the allegation and are met with complete stalwart. what are you left to do but logically move toward invalidation. if i'm alleged to do have done something, and only an allegation is made with 0 other evidence, and after attempts to get more evidence are met with nothing, there is no way in hell i'm going to try and justify the allegation. you staunchly deny it.

meanwhile, the republican party is gaining tons of 20-30 something male voters who feel like the democrats are a party that has left them high and dry. you anecdote is met with mine where i have an office of liberal 20-30something white males who many of which are voting republican this fall.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Leaving the former base for the new.

If you don’t first deny, then ask for proof, and then when provided with no proof go on to a final decision - what good is the judicial system and due process?

Why now?
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Given the anecdotes that I've used along with Haize and Mallet, it sounds like both parties are actually chasing off what used to be their base.
a buddy of mine who is one of those 20-30 something year olds that i work with is a history grad. emphasis on US history and historically speaking we've been prone to these types of switcharoos in the past. people that were democrats 100 years ago would likely be republicans today and vise versa.

I think they have taken for granted their bases and use biased polling numbers and social media experiments cloud their judgement.
By Class of 20Something
I think a lot of people just don't have a home right now. There are so many view points it's hard to find a candidate to support anymore. I really don't want to vote for Stewart, but I will convince myself I am voting for a supporter of Trump and bite through my tongue while I'm doing it.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Apparently Ford's team is again moving the proverbial goalposts and the hearing is in doubt AGAIN.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Apparently Ford's team is again moving the proverbial goalposts and the hearing is in doubt AGAIN.
Still have $5 she ain’t showing up

Why are there no reporters stakes out in front of her house to see if she’s even left yet?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:Image

Who's that lawyer with Mrs Clinton? :lol:
I’m just happy she’s not our President
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread