This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Yacht Rock wrote:He definitely demonstrated more self control in his response and didn’t result to insulting folks.

I do take umbrage with the fact that he says that because they have a high number of “customers” that those “customers” must be happy with the product.

I can speak for myself and have heard from many other LUO students who aren’t happy with the product. Sadly by the time you realize that you aren’t happy with the product, it may not be worth the trouble of going a different direction with your (or the government’s) $$$.
Which brings us to the reality of his statement. Over 100k have been sold on the quality and value, that does not mean that the product is of quality and value. Only that they can sell it well.
Class of 20Something wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:He definitely demonstrated more self control in his response and didn’t result to insulting folks.

I do take umbrage with the fact that he says that because they have a high number of “customers” that those “customers” must be happy with the product.

I can speak for myself and have heard from many other LUO students who aren’t happy with the product. Sadly by the time you realize that you aren’t happy with the product, it may not be worth the trouble of going a different direction with your (or the government’s) $$$.
Which brings us to the reality of his statement. Over 100k have been sold on the quality and value, that does not mean that the product is of quality and value. Only that they can sell it well.
Quanity doesn’t always equal Quality
thepostman wrote:And McDonald's continually gets worse
Their fries have always been the best. Especially in the Fast Food category. They are using fresh beef now in their Quater Pounders which is good (side Note-Try a QP w/cheese with Big Mac Sauce!)

At least they are still better than Buger King
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:And McDonald's continually gets worse
Their fries have always been the best.
If you like their fries, you’ll enjoy this podcast:

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/ ... e-my-heart
Why? I suspicious it will try to deconstruct my joy :D
I like Burger King’s better.

If 100k “fall” for the sales pitch, whose fault is that? The facts are out there if you’re willing to do the research. I simply don’t feel sorry for someone “caught” by LUO. No one forced it on any of them.
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Their fries have always been the best.
If you like their fries, you’ll enjoy this podcast:

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/ ... e-my-heart
Why? I suspicious it will try to deconstruct my joy :D
It’s all about the original McDonald’s French fry recipe and how and why they changed it in the late 80s.
JK37 wrote:I like Burger King’s better.

If 100k “fall” for the sales pitch, whose fault is that? The facts are out there if you’re willing to do the research. I simply don’t feel sorry for someone “caught” by LUO. No one forced it on any of them.
In N Out has the best skinny fries.

Of course people are able to make their own decisions.

I’m just saying quantity isn’t a measure of quality, which was JR’s metric.
The ability to serve a 5-star dinner for a dozen or fish sandwiches for thousands ... sometimes quantity has its own innate value. I suspect we are somewhere in the middle in most cases.

Count me in the In 'N Out Burger side of the fries discussion. Once you eat them Animal-style, it wil make it tough to stop at a Mickey D's unless it is the only port in the storm for a comfort break on the road.
I actually think doing undergrad on campus and the mba online helped me. Both were very different. There were a couple classes that were too easy but several that were very challenging. You get what you put in to me. If your not responsible (and i had 2 friends off the top of my head with similar stories to jons) you can get into trouble. Every person i know who was diligent and responsible did well. Every person i know that has trouble in real life staying on task and being responsible flunked out. I actually had 2 or 3 super proffesors that really went in depth like dr osbourne who i believe was tiger woods real estate attorney at one time. Learned a TON from that guy. He sent hoards of interactive correspondence.

Also agree with manson. 2 separate employers for me and both appreciated the degrees. Inmy opinion it all boils down to the student 95 percent of the time. If you are responsible and stay on task you will be fine. If your one of those people who has trouble staying on task then you probably shouldnt be enrolling. And all 15 professors that i had were nothing like the article mentioned. They all responded. Some more thoroughly than others but i never felt like i had a question that didnt get answered adequately. This was in 2008 to 2010 time range while working a management trainee job.
While I agree with you all that it's on the student to handle the workload, I think you're glossing over a big red flag area that we are not good at all.

LUO is marketed towards adults with other jobs, families, or other life things going on. Many times life happens and there are things out of your control that dictate what you're able to do. In those times, classwork gets thrown on the back burner. LUO is seriously lacking in methods to handle those situations. The rigidness of the policies and the lack of customer support (to use Jerry's phrasing) leads to many of the issues that have been brought up in this thread.
rogers3 wrote:I thought the article was pretty fair and balanced. One day, we will have to manage without getting students to finance our existence.
I think they'll be able to do that using interest on the endowment in the not too distant future. I think the school could operate on $500,000,000 per year, salaries and all. 6% from the endowment plus 26k from residential students covers that.
Purdue University is all in now.

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/release ... lobal.html
Purdue University Global is set to launch after receiving final approval from the Higher Learning Commission. Monday’s (March 5) notice of approval was the last step in the regulatory process for the new university, first announced in April 2017.

Approximately 30,000 students enrolled at Kaplan University will seamlessly transition to Purdue Global.
[quote="TH Spangler"]Purdue University is all in now.

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/release ... lobal.html

[quote]Purdue University Global is set to launch after receiving final approval from the Higher Learning Commission. Monday’s (March 5) notice of approval was the last step in the regulatory process for the new university, first announced in April 2017.

Approximately 30,000 students enrolled at Kaplan University will seamlessly transition to Purdue Global.[/quote][/quote]

For those who don't see this as a threat, just wait until all state schools are doing this-
"...offer a tuition discount of approximately 45 percent for Indiana resident students "
I'd venture to say that's why we built up the physical campus when we did. Ride the online coat tails until law and a couple other graduate programs get their own facilities.

Online is not the future. Quietly we have already pivoted towards aviation. LU is an elite aviation school with a looming pilot shortage.
Class of 20Something wrote:I'd venture to say that's why we built up the physical campus when we did. Ride the online coat tails until law and a couple other graduate programs get their own facilities.

Online is not the future. Quietly we have already pivoted towards aviation. LU is an elite aviation school with a looming pilot shortage.
Hugh pilot shortage and LU is rated in top 10 best in the country.
TH Spangler wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:I'd venture to say that's why we built up the physical campus when we did. Ride the online coat tails until law and a couple other graduate programs get their own facilities.

Hugh pilot shortage and LU is rated in top 10 best in the country.
I always thought LU would excel at this IF it stayed the course. I’m glad they did and I’m glad it’s paying off
olldflame wrote:I know he's a really smart kid and has been well trained, but I have to admit the idea of getting on board a 737 with JJ McCracken in the pilot's seat is just a bit unsettling.
If he is half as dedicated to his academics as he is to being a superfan, you are probably in good hands.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]