This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#537014 Trump referred to Kim as 'Rocket Man' at the UN. I find that awesome in so many ways.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#537020
Purple Haize wrote:Trump referred to Kim as 'Rocket Man' at the UN. I find that awesome in so many ways.


Ripping him of legitimacy by refusing to call him by his name? Pretty sound strategy there. As long as Chaos is SecDef, I feel safe. The boogeyman checks under his bed for General Mattis.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#537028
Class of 20Something wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Trump referred to Kim as 'Rocket Man' at the UN. I find that awesome in so many ways.


Ripping him of legitimacy by refusing to call him by his name? Pretty sound strategy there. As long as Chaos is SecDef, I feel safe. The boogeyman checks under his bed for General Mattis.


Why give Kim any respect? Call the little sht out. Appeasing has been tried for years. Time for something else
By thepostman
#541861 Donald Trump just retweeted a far right fringe group 3 times. This is yet another example as to why so many conservatives like myself have a hard time supporting him.

I'm sure it will be defended and I'm just a snowflake
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#541868 People spend too much time worried about his Twitter account and less time worried about the actual happenings. This Republican controller Congress is a joke. It’s the same 6 or 8 Senators blocking everything. Susan Collins and John McCain may as well just caucus with the Democrats.
Rick Perry seems to be doing fine at Energy
DeVoss hasn’t closed down Publoc Schools and made everyone say the Lords Prayer
Carson seems to be doing well at HUD
The list goes on.
But by all means let’s focus on his Twitter. (It actually IS what he wants)
By thepostman
#541871 I have issues with the republican congress as well but my post was about the president and his very questionable retweets. It isn't ok and is getting old and hurting any kind of progress whether you want to admit it or not.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#541872
thepostman wrote:I have issues with the republican congress as well but my post was about the president and his very questionable retweets. It isn't ok and is getting old and hurting any kind of progress whether you want to admit it or not.


You are operating under the assumption that if he immediately quit Tweeting that all the opposition to him would go away. It isn’t the Tweets that are hurting any kind of progress. It’s just the excuse they are using. And if it wasn’t the Teeets, it would be the Russians. If it wasn’t the Russians it would be the Popular Vote.
His Twitter is just an excuse they are using.
By thepostman
#541874 Maybe I wasn't clear. It isn't just his tweets. It is pretty much everything about his pubic persona. It is hurting the conservatism and I am unsure at this point why anybody is still latching onto him.

I didn't expect him to change once he was in office. This is who he has been his entire career in the public eye. It is why I didn't vote for him in the primaries and why I didn't vote for him in the general election. He is absolutely a terrible leader. I have tried to see your point and others like you but have found it impossible to do.

I also made a rule for myself not to post publically about politics anymore. I just broke my own rule dang it.
User avatar
By RubberMallet
#541878 i actually don't have an issue with his tweets at this point. the economy is just cranking along, these tax cuts are actually really good for the US.

social issues are still a disaster but that isn't on trump, nor was it on obama when it was festering and blew up during his tenure.

his tweets are hilarious and while not presidential in the normal sense, who cares.

don't give me the "whole world is laughing at us" bs either. europe is literally going bankrupt and is being infiltrated by islam. Canada's GDP is plummeting and their costs are going higher. asia is dealing with that lunatic in NK.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#541882
thepostman wrote:Maybe I wasn't clear. It isn't just his tweets. It is pretty much everything about his pubic persona. It is hurting the conservatism and I am unsure at this point why anybody is still latching onto him.

I didn't expect him to change once he was in office. This is who he has been his entire career in the public eye. It is why I didn't vote for him in the primaries and why I didn't vote for him in the general election. He is absolutely a terrible leader. I have tried to see your point and others like you but have found it impossible to do.

I also made a rule for myself not to post publically about politics anymore. I just broke my own rule dang it.


I’m a bad influence
By JK37
#541900 Posture, you’re falling for the slight of hand badly.

Who cares about his “persona”?! Mallet got it perfectly: look at what’s actually getting DONE!! Don’t just listen, WATCH! And whose respect are we trying to gain? Some other major player on the world stage?? Like Mallet said, they’ve all got bigger problems in their own backyards.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#541907
Yacht Rock wrote:For many of us, the ends don’t justify the means. Character does matter for many people.


He is quite the character.
He has a 280 character limit.....
User avatar
By RubberMallet
#541921
Yacht Rock wrote:For many of us, the ends don’t justify the means. Character does matter for many people.


because in reality, to reach that level of gvt, you've already forfeited most of your character regardless of what facade you are selling.
By JK37
#541923 Looking at this long-term...

The more I find out about Pence, the more I like him. And since he’s on Trump’s coattail for the moment, gotta support Trump, too.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#541961
RubberMallet wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:For many of us, the ends don’t justify the means. Character does matter for many people.


because in reality, to reach that level of gvt, you've already forfeited most of your character regardless of what facade you are selling.


I think that's thing. He just doesn't care enough to put up a facade. That's why it is so unusual and "un-presidential." We are used to people like the Clintons that are super dirty but nothing ever sticks to them.
By thepostman
#541966 So is Flynn added to the list of liars I am not to believe? I want to make sure my list is correct. It's really hard to though.
User avatar
By adam42381
#541978
thepostman wrote:So is Flynn added to the list of liars I am not to believe? I want to make sure my list is correct. It's really hard to though.

Just add anyone tied to Trump at this point.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#541981 I’ll be very interested in what actually comes out as opposed to what ‘They’ are saying will come out.
User avatar
By adam42381
#541991
Purple Haize wrote:I’ll be very interested in what actually comes out as opposed to what ‘They’ are saying will come out.

Who is ‘they’? The #fakenewscrookedmedia?
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#541992
adam42381 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I’ll be very interested in what actually comes out as opposed to what ‘They’ are saying will come out.

Who is ‘they’? The #fakenewscrookedmedia?


Well just today I’ve heard everything from he is going to say that he knew Trump was going to Threaten Comey with some nasty stuff if he didn’t drop his investigation to he will admit to being the Bag Man between Trump and Putin.
So be all jaded and dismissive as you like but the news media commentators don’t have a sterling record anymore. This could be nothing more than what happens to Scooter Libby or a clerical oversight
By lynchburgwildcats
#542008
RubberMallet wrote:i actually don't have an issue with his tweets at this point. the economy is just cranking along, these tax cuts are actually really good for the US.

Unless you make under $100,000, which in that case you will be paying more in taxes. And what are the rich corporations going to do with the money saved from these tax cuts? Pass it on to their shareholders, most of which will again be the rich. Rich get richer while the non-rich get poorer...
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#542009
adam42381 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I’ll be very interested in what actually comes out as opposed to what ‘They’ are saying will come out.

Who is ‘they’? The #fakenewscrookedmedia?


Here is the first example

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/01/media/a ... index.html
User avatar
By makarov97
#542024
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
RubberMallet wrote:i actually don't have an issue with his tweets at this point. the economy is just cranking along, these tax cuts are actually really good for the US.

Unless you make under $100,000, which in that case you will be paying more in taxes. And what are the rich corporations going to do with the money saved from these tax cuts? Pass it on to their shareholders, most of which will again be the rich. Rich get richer while the non-rich get poorer...


Someone is listening to too much MSNBC and reading too much Washington Compost.

You can actually do a quick calculation here.

https://www.calcxml.com/calculators/tru ... calculator

There is a dramatic expansion of the standardized deduction, the child tax credit eligibility is drastically expanded, and the tax brackets are lowered. It's simply a fantasy to say that everyone who makes under 100,000 will be paying more.
By lynchburgwildcats
#542113
makarov97 wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
RubberMallet wrote:i actually don't have an issue with his tweets at this point. the economy is just cranking along, these tax cuts are actually really good for the US.

Unless you make under $100,000, which in that case you will be paying more in taxes. And what are the rich corporations going to do with the money saved from these tax cuts? Pass it on to their shareholders, most of which will again be the rich. Rich get richer while the non-rich get poorer...


Someone is listening to too much MSNBC and reading too much Washington Compost.

You can actually do a quick calculation here.

https://www.calcxml.com/calculators/tru ... calculator

There is a dramatic expansion of the standardized deduction, the child tax credit eligibility is drastically expanded, and the tax brackets are lowered. It's simply a fantasy to say that everyone who makes under 100,000 will be paying more.

Since when did the Congressional Budget Office become a member of MSNBC or the Washington Post? Sounds like someone is listening to much to FAKE NEWS Fox News and the Trumptard propaganda machine, sad!
User avatar
By RubberMallet
#542170 i find most people don't understand taxes at all. doubling the standard deduction for most low wage makers is a big deal. bbbbut what about all my deductions!##!%!!!

that and making the US competitive from a Corp tax standpoint worldwide is really important. There is literally 5tril in offshore bank accounts because of our corp tax rates. that is money that could/will be invested in the US. even if it just sat in US banks instead of swiss banks.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#542172
RubberMallet wrote:i find most people don't understand taxes at all. doubling the standard deduction for most low wage makers is a big deal. bbbbut what about all my deductions!##!%!!!

that and making the US competitive from a Corp tax standpoint worldwide is really important. There is literally 5tril in offshore bank accounts because of our corp tax rates. that is money that could/will be invested in the US. even if it just sat in US banks instead of swiss banks.


But teachers can’t deduct their $250 a year
Homeowners can’t deduct 15,000 in State Property Taxes
But.....
Yeah. The only thing I’m seeing is what the deductions are that are being taken away but nothing about what is being added. My only concern is the talk that small companies don’t appear to be getting the same tax considerations as large ones. (That’s an over generalization and not well researched but what I’m hearing)
User avatar
By RubberMallet
#542202 student loan interest is pre income but it sounds like that will be saved. i'm torn. i think that deductions not long for this world but i would like it see coupled with some education reform.

taking away the incentive to sign up for enormous long term loans as well as discouraging graduates from holding onto bad debt well into their 40's is something abolishing that deduction will do but there has to be some give on the university and their lobbyists part as well.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#542251 It just reminds me of the Fair Tax. Consumption tax on everything except for financial investment (stock market) and education. But you take home your entire paycheck.

Essentially your dollar goes further when saving or learning.

I miss when that was popular, tax people on what they spend not what they earn. Don't wanna pay taxes? Don't buy stuff.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#542252 So the thread title got changed
User avatar
By makarov97
#542262
Since when did the Congressional Budget Office become a member of MSNBC or the Washington Post? Sounds like someone is listening to much to FAKE NEWS Fox News and the Trumptard propaganda machine, sad!


I provided a calculator for you. It’s a simple calculation. Please provide a link to where the CBO said that everyone making under 100k is going to pay more and that only corporations and the wealthy will benefit.

Kthxbye.
By thepostman
#542269 All I know for sure is this place adds to the federal deficit which in my opinion spits in the face of true conservatism but what do I know? Trump is draining the swamp and he says this is good so it must be, right?????????
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#542273
thepostman wrote:All I know for sure is this place adds to the federal deficit which in my opinion spits in the face of true conservatism but what do I know? Trump is draining the swamp and he says this is good so it must be, right?????????

The gamble comes down to the Growth Numbers. They’ve been historically low the last 8 years. If the economy grows at historical norms it should be deficit neutral or surplus At least that’s what I’ve read and the largest criticism is based in growth numbers under Obama. The Republicans in Congress have been a huge disappointment but I’ll give this the benefit of the doubt
But Heaven Forbid we cut the size of government :roll:
User avatar
By RubberMallet
#542327
thepostman wrote:All I know for sure is this place adds to the federal deficit which in my opinion spits in the face of true conservatism but what do I know? Trump is draining the swamp and he says this is good so it must be, right?????????


thats short sighted. any economist recognizes that any tax bill will probably create a deficit on its face. the reality is that this bill has the potential to create new investment/new business/new taxable income that we've not seen before. The US as it stands with current corp tax law is unattractive to new business. US businesses avoid paying those taxes by stashing away cash in overseas accounts that is never used here in the US. Even it sitting in a bank account here benefits the US more than it sitting somewhere else.

true conservatism has never been the GOP mantra the last 20 years because its unrealistic. they don't care about deficit spending in light of bringing about prosperity organically.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#542328 So moving the US Embassy to Jerusalem is kind of a big deal. Publicly acknowledging it as the Capital is even more Bigly Yuger
By thepostman
#542337 I'm not sure how it is short sited. If we haven't been increasing our deficit our entire lives than maybe I could buy that but we are coming dangerously close to imploding fiscally speaking. We can't continually have faith that sone theoretical new investments/business, etc will somehow help reverse the incredible damage our leaders have caused by growing the government as quickly as they have since the world wars.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#542358 I have done a little background reading on our support of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Can someone break down the implications in a neutral view then separately from a Christian world view?
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#542359
Class of 20Something wrote:I have done a little background reading on our support of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Can someone break down the implications in a neutral view then separately from a Christian world view?


There is East Jerusalem and West Jerusalem. The East is part of ‘occupied territory ‘ and thus part of a hoped for future Palestinian State. West Jerusalem is controlled by the Israelis. We have Consulates in both E and W Jerusalem (Nice new ones since I was there). By calling Jerusalem the Capital Of Israel it A) Legitimizes Israel when a group of people still want to wipe it off the face of the Earth B) Negates it from becoming a part of a new Palestinian State.

That’s a very very short synopsis. Lots of nuance in there. Hopefully it was somewhat helpful
User avatar
By adam42381
#543037
TH Spangler wrote:Democrats successfully prevented the repeal of the Johnson Amendment

President Trump had strongly advocated the repeal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... andidates/

Many here may disagree, but I see this as a good thing. Politics and religion shouldn’t be so closely interwoven. You can still be a Christian and be a Democrat, believe it or not.
User avatar
By RubberMallet
#543041 the idea that ones beliefs shouldn't be the underlying purpose of their pursuit politically is preposterous.

democratic christians i don't generally have an issue with until it comes to their take regarding abortion rights and far left, "i'm a gender fluid wolfkin" absurdity.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#543042
adam42381 wrote:
TH Spangler wrote:Democrats successfully prevented the repeal of the Johnson Amendment

President Trump had strongly advocated the repeal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... andidates/

Many here may disagree, but I see this as a good thing. Politics and religion shouldn’t be so closely interwoven. You can still be a Christian and be a Democrat, believe it or not.


I agree, that's why the government shouldn't be able to control what pastors say in the pulpit.

Christian Republicans and Democrats just focus on different ways to accomplish the same things. Democrats have a huge heart for the disadvantaged and believe it's their responsibility to use the government to meet that need. Republicans believe that it is up to the individual to decide to do that, largely though their church and private organizations.

There are understandable positions on both sides of the aisle.
By thepostman
#543054
adam42381 wrote:
TH Spangler wrote:Democrats successfully prevented the repeal of the Johnson Amendment

President Trump had strongly advocated the repeal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... andidates/

Many here may disagree, but I see this as a good thing. Politics and religion shouldn’t be so closely interwoven. You can still be a Christian and be a Democrat, believe it or not.


I don't believe the government should be able to tell you what you say from a pulpit whether liberal or conservative but the problem arises from the tax free label. That is why the issue isn't so cut and dry.
By BigRed1
#543729
adam42381 wrote:
TH Spangler wrote:Democrats successfully prevented the repeal of the Johnson Amendment

President Trump had strongly advocated the repeal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... andidates/

Many here may disagree, but I see this as a good thing. Politics and religion shouldn’t be so closely interwoven. You can still be a Christian and be a Democrat, believe it or not.

Really? By supporting a party who endorses same sex marriage and abortion you’re following the teachings of the Bible? I don’t think so. A party who said there was no room for anyone who is pro life. That’s like being a Nazi, but despising Hitler. Those who straddles the fence end up being impaled by it.
By thepostman
#543730 Neither party supports the teachings of the Bible completely. If you think that about either party you're insane.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#543731
thepostman wrote:Neither party supports the teachings of the Bible completely. If you think that about either party you're insane.


What!?! #fakenews
By BigRed1
#543774
thepostman wrote:Neither party supports the teachings of the Bible completely. If you think that about either party you're insane.

Never said or insinuated that the Republican Party supports the teachings of the Bible completely. I really love how some people read something that’s not even there. What I said was the DNC platform FULLY SUPPORTS abortion and same sex marriage and calls people who oppose that view insane. Like the view you seem to hold of me. My point was how could you possibly be associated with a group and not agree with what they stand for? If someone belonging to a white supremacy group said they were against racism, would you believe them? That would be insane wouldn’t it?
User avatar
By adam42381
#543775
BigRed1 wrote:
adam42381 wrote:
TH Spangler wrote:Democrats successfully prevented the repeal of the Johnson Amendment

President Trump had strongly advocated the repeal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... andidates/

Many here may disagree, but I see this as a good thing. Politics and religion shouldn’t be so closely interwoven. You can still be a Christian and be a Democrat, believe it or not.

Really? By supporting a party who endorses same sex marriage and abortion you’re following the teachings of the Bible? I don’t think so. A party who said there was no room for anyone who is pro life. That’s like being a Nazi, but despising Hitler. Those who straddles the fence end up being impaled by it.

The Pussy Grabber in Chief is a wonderful Christian man, though.
By thepostman
#543776
BigRed1 wrote:
thepostman wrote:Neither party supports the teachings of the Bible completely. If you think that about either party you're insane.

Never said or insinuated that the Republican Party supports the teachings of the Bible completely. I really love how some people read something that’s not even there. What I said was the DNC platform FULLY SUPPORTS abortion and same sex marriage and calls people who oppose that view insane. Like the view you seem to hold of me. My point was how could you possibly be associated with a group and not agree with what they stand for? If someone belonging to a white supremacy group said they were against racism, would you believe them? That would be insane wouldn’t it?


That's actually my point too. Except I actually believe it which is why I refuse to associate with either party.