The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

CONWAY, S.C. – Liberty senior outfielder Jessica Moore and Winthrop skipper Mark Cooke have been voted as the 2007 Big South Conference Softball Player of the Year and Coach of the Year, respectively, by the League’s head coaches and sports information directors, it was announced this evening at the annual softball awards banquet held at Kimbel Arena on the campus of Coastal Carolina University.

http://www.bigsouthsports.com/ViewArtic ... LID=883166
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Ashley Taylor was voted pitcher of the year...didn't we pound both the Radford pitchers in the series at the LU softball field...not to mention didn't Terra get more PotW nods than Taylor?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Liberty senior outfielder Jessica Moore and Winthrop skipper Mark Cooke have been voted as the 2007 Big South Conference Softball Player of the Year and Coach of the Year, respectively
looks like WEF was dead on, on both counts.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Sorry but this is a joke. Jessica moore deserved POY award. Coach of the year......... all i have to say is whatever :roll: :roll: :roll: Ashley Taylor, she is good but in my opinion Terra is much better. Winthrop didn't play a tough schedule let alone beat some of those great teams like LU did. They got trounced by the University of Alabama who is in the top 5. After they beat Georgia the first time in their tournament, they got trounced by the Bulldogs of UGA. They haven't played all of the ranked teams that we have and let alone be competitive and even beat some of those teams. The Big South does it again. :roll: :roll: :roll:
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Conference awards are for conference play. The non-conference stuff doesn't matter.

Keep whining about awards. Keep talking about a bias.

While you're doing that, everyone else is laughing at you.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
I will stick with my point on who Winthrop has played.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Then you will argue a point that doesn't matter. Keep doing that. You're wasting your time.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
I have already let you know how i feel on the awards prior to going on my rant about the schedule.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
The Player of the week award is a conference award given out on a weekly basis and is given out in the non conference portion of the schedule and the conference portion as well.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
thesportscritic wrote:Sorry but this is a joke. Jessica moore deserved POY award. Coach of the year......... all i have to say is whatever :roll: :roll: :roll: Ashley Taylor, she is good but in my opinion Terra is much better. Winthrop didn't play a tough schedule let alone beat some of those great teams like LU did. They got trounced by the University of Alabama who is in the top 5. After they beat Georgia the first time in their tournament, they got trounced by the Bulldogs of UGA. They haven't played all of the ranked teams that we have and let alone be competitive and even beat some of those teams. The Big South does it again. :roll: :roll: :roll:
And yet, after all of the tough teams Liberty played and everything else, Winthrop and Liberty ended up in a tie for first in the conference and WU is currently only 9 spots behind LU in the RPI. Considering that WU was picked to finish 4th in the league and started two freshmen pitchers, I really thought Cooke was at least as deserving as Wetmore (though I wouldn't have seen anything wrong if Wetmore got it).

I don't agree with SJ's assessment of the award only being based on conference play...especially considering that the teams played around 60 total games and only 15 were against conference foes.

As for the pitcher award...Taylor had the numbers (granted, Lowe faced a much tougher schedule over the course of the year, but when it comes to awards, numbers always speak louder than level of competition). Taylor led the league in ERA, strikeouts, and opp. batting average.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
They only played 15 conference games?

Nevermind then.

I'm thinking like baseball, where you play at least 21 conference games.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
I'll give WU credit they had a great season and they may have some more maybe..... Taylor may have had the numbers but I think that Terra is a little bit better than Tayler. and i disagree with SJ too on the awards thing. My point is that the level of competition that we have played was far better than winthrop. And here we are tied for first eventhough we took 2 of 3 from WU.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
If you'd read you'd see I said nevermind on the "conference only" thing. I thought the percentage of total games was higher.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:If you'd read you'd see I said nevermind on the "conference only" thing. I thought the percentage of total games was higher.
I was in the middle of typing my response when you posted your statement.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Now do I think Liberty has had a better overall season than Winthrop to this point? Yes, and the Flames are the favorite in the tourney, but coach of the year voting usually factors all of that along with the expectations that the program had coming into the year. That's why I felt Cooke had the slight edge, mainly because less was expected of WU coming into the year, and yet they ended up tied for first and they won 45 games overall (yes, I know the schedule wasn't as hard, but again, flashy numbers always help when it comes to award-time).
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
WinthropEagleFan wrote:Now do I think Liberty has had a better overall season than Winthrop to this point? Yes, and the Flames are the favorite in the tourney, but coach of the year voting usually factors all of that along with the expectations that the program had coming into the year. That's why I felt Cooke had the slight edge, mainly because less was expected of WU coming into the year, and yet they ended up tied for first and they won 45 games overall (yes, I know the schedule wasn't as hard, but again, flashy numbers always help when it comes to award-time).
ok i will give you that point.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Here's my theory:

Win the tournament, go to the NCAA tournament, and then laugh at everyone else sitting home.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Here's my theory:

Win the tournament, go to the NCAA tournament, and then laugh at everyone else sitting home.
What he said...

I say it all of the time on the WU board, especially when people over there complain when a Coastal guy wins the basketball player of the year award for no good reason...individual awards are nice, but give me a championship anyday.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
That's twice in 5 minutes someone has said that to me. I like it.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Wait, wait, wait.

We get Player of the Year and people are still whining? Are you serious?

Last night I didn't even check to see if we won anything, just wanted to laugh at people whining.

What the p iss did you expect us to win? A sweep of all three of them? That never happens.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Wait, wait, wait.

We get Player of the Year and people are still whining? Are you serious?

Last night I didn't even check to see if we won anything, just wanted to laugh at people whining.

What the p iss did you expect us to win? A sweep of all three of them? That never happens.
you are just now reading the conference awards? :roll: next time try reading the whole thread. Fumble posted the link to the awards to begin this whole thread.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I read over it to see what other schools won, not to see what we won.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]